Trunk strut/hinge questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Iceman_jd
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trunk strut/hinge questions in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2005 CTS that has a trunk lid that has knocked me on the head a few times ...
    tenor1962 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Trunk strut/hinge questions

I have a 2005 CTS that has a trunk lid that has knocked me on the head a few times since I bought the car. I had the dealership look at replacing the struts and they told me I had two different styles of hinge (2003 style and newer style). This car has never had any work done on with the trunk since I bought the car. Why would there be two mismatched hinges on a 2005? I thought they had changed the hinge style in 2004. The dealership said they need to change the old style hinge to put the current struts on. I bought this car from the same dealer 2 1/2 years ago. The carfax was clean but I am concerned that with all of the other issues I have had with this car that there is an accident in it's past that was never disclosed. Any opinions???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Red Dwarf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Re: Trunk strut/hinge questions

It seems strange they would use 2 different hinges, but you never know. I replaced the lift struts on my 04 last week. Got the struts from Rock Auto. Think the part No. is #6404.

There is a post shows pictures & measurements for the lift supports. Can't find it right now. Try a search.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...-partslist.pdf

Red Dwarf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Here's some info on the strut length for 2005, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/CADILLAC-Dimen.../dp/B003NI8ROM

dzlvs8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

the part number s should be on your struts. Try to find each of the part numbers and do direct replacement story them both.

Kurlee Daddee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Finally ordered a set of replacement trunk struts. Easiest install ever. Replaced with GM Part# 15911948. Trunk actually raises itself up with little effort now. Ever since I had this car the trunk struts have been worn out. Best $35 I have ever spent on this car. No more 100 lbs. trunks smashing my head and back.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Had to replace mine last year. Order them from Rockauto.com #6404. Your right money well spent.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

I replaced mine with Monroe Max-Air gas support lifts. I did it because I installed the CTS Sport spoiler and now the trunk lid is heavier. But do those support lifts pack a punch wheeh, my trunk lid now doubles as a catapult!!

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    I replaced mine with Monroe Max-Air gas support lifts. I did it because I installed the CTS Sport spoiler and now the trunk lid is heavier. But do those support lifts pack a punch wheeh, my trunk lid now doubles as a catapult!!
    You ever use it as speedbrake?

CTSM and CTSM like this.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_jd View Post
    You ever use it as speedbrake?

I will have to try it and report back with results

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.