NO AC on Cadillac CTS 2003
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, NO AC on Cadillac CTS 2003 in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Guys I really need your help on this. I have Searched google and the forum and nothing seems to fit ...
    croyer1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

NO AC on Cadillac CTS 2003

Guys I really need your help on this. I have Searched google and the forum and nothing seems to fit my problem. I have a Cadillac CTS 2003. Once the summer started I noticed I have no AC. It will blow hot air only. The AC compressor is not moving. I am able to move the compressor by hand. I am wondering if it could be a relay or fuse? In the winter the only thing I did to the car was put in a new head unit . Could that cause a problem? if anyone could please give me steps on things to check i would greatly appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport

Re: NO AC on Cadillac CTS 2003

you could start by jumping the leads on your low pressure switch. just take a paper clip and bend it into a u and plug them in from one terminal to another. if this engages the clutch on your ac compressor u either need the system charged and tested for leaks or you have a bad pressure switch. try this and let me know what happens.

hoopr50 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts

Quote Originally Posted by jran0823 View Post
    you could start by jumping the leads on your low pressure switch. just take a paper clip and bend it into a u and plug them in from one terminal to another. if this engages the clutch on your ac compressor u either need the system charged and tested for leaks or you have a bad pressure switch. try this and let me know what happens.
    DONT PUT A PAPER CLIP IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!! sticking a paper clip in there will expand the terminals and make it so that if the pressure swith is bad the new one wont make contact and the entire box will need replaced, and that means that you just turned a $20-30 problem into a $300-400 problem

Quote Originally Posted by hoopr50 View Post
    DONT PUT A PAPER CLIP IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!! sticking a paper clip in there will expand the terminals and make it so that if the pressure swith is bad the new one wont make contact and the entire box will need replaced, and that means that you just turned a $20-30 problem into a $300-400 problem
    it WILL NOT turn into a $300-400 problem, you use a small paperclip. we do this at our shop all the time for diagnostics, and we all are ASE certified techs, you just make sure you dont bend the terminals in the clip, and if you do you use a pick to bend them back.

hoopr50 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts

Quote Originally Posted by jran0823 View Post
    it WILL NOT turn into a $300-400 problem, you use a small paperclip. we do this at our shop all the time for diagnostics, and we all are ASE certified techs, you just make sure you dont bend the terminals in the clip, and if you do you use a pick to bend them back.
    wow im not here to bash anybody on how they do their job but I also am a mechanic and the very first thing I was told not only in school but also at my shop by every tech there was to never use a paper clip, no matter the size, to diagnose any electrical problem. there is a reason why companys sell terminal kits. as for turning it into a $300-400 problem you definitly had him headed down that path with your 1st post because you never specified what size of clip to use

Quote Originally Posted by hoopr50 View Post
    wow im not here to bash anybody on how they do their job but I also am a mechanic and the very first thing I was told not only in school but also at my shop by every tech there was to never use a paper clip, no matter the size, to diagnose any electrical problem. there is a reason why companys sell terminal kits. as for turning it into a $300-400 problem you definitly had him headed down that path with your 1st post because you never specified what size of clip to use
    because im sure he has a terminal kit...and im sure u walk to your box everytime you're diagnosing if you have a small clip readily available, and im sure you do everything you learned in school. pretty much everything i learned when i was in school was pretty much thrown away when i got into the field.

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

I think I'd start with checking the fuses

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Lol. Let me help out. First try and turn on the AC. The Ecu(?) Is preventing damage to the system, If the ac indicator blinks and turns off. You need to disconnect the batt and clear the memory. Have someone connect the battery and turn the ac to max. Then the compressor clutch should kick on. At that time you can put freon in or evac the systen.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    I don't think it is a fuse if you can turn the fans on and off

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G

croyer1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you guys. I wanted to also add for some reason the rear defroster button on the climate control also does not work. I f I press it shows nothign on the display. Dont know if it is related. The AC button when pressed does say AC OFF when I press it.

Going back to my AC problem. I noticed when I shut my car off a gurgle sound comes from the dash. it sounds like a stomach growling. Dont know if that helps. I took it to a local mechanic and they said they THINK its the compressor. They wanted to charge me $1,300.00 to replace it. However I am not spending that kind of
    money on a guess.

Note I did not do the paper clip thing. Mainly because I am afraid to screw something up. Second I dont know where I am suppose to put the paper clip.

Sorry for sounding dumb.

AIRCRAFT MECHANIC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

where is the low pressure switch located on a 2003 cts

Y3E
    Y3E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Was 2005 CTS Sport - Dark Metallic Grey

Quote Originally Posted by croyer1 View Post
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you guys. I wanted to also add for some reason the rear defroster button on the climate control also does not work. I f I press it shows nothign on the display. Dont know if it is related. The AC button when pressed does say AC OFF when I press it.

Going back to my AC problem. I noticed when I shut my car off a gurgle sound comes from the dash. it sounds like a stomach growling. Dont know if that helps. I took it to a local mechanic and they said they THINK its the compressor. They wanted to charge me $1,300.00 to replace it. However I am not spending that kind of
    money on a guess.

Note I did not do the paper clip thing. Mainly because I am afraid to screw something up. Second I dont know where I am suppose to put the paper clip.

Sorry for sounding dumb.
    I can't help you with your problem. I had a problem with my a/c, intermittent cooling and brought it in to the shop and was told the compressor needed replacing and was also told it was a 1200 job (compressor was $750 in Canada), so I bought one from US GM gealer for $330. Brought the compressor to a mechanic to have install and a/c still didn't work. Relay was cracked, replaced and still didn't work. Fuse is good. Now, instead of intermittent cooling I get only hot air because not enough freon was put in. Mechanic thinks an electrical probblem (could be a bad ground) or computer problem. Spent a $1000 already and decided not to fix a/c. Will trade car in.

What I'm trying to say, if you know a good mechanic, have him or her check out everything that can be checked before buying a compresssor; check relays, fuse, grounds, etc... Good luck.

jeffao is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

it could just need a recharge

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.