2005 CTS 3.6L Cranks But Will Not Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2005 CTS 3.6L Cranks But Will Not Start in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; The car, which has just over 100,000 miles, was running rough for about 2 weeks prior and now it will ...
    rodneyk915 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

2005 CTS 3.6L Cranks But Will Not Start

The car, which has just over 100,000 miles, was running rough for about 2 weeks prior and now it will crank but it won't start. It sounds normal while cranking but it just doesn't start. I have replaced the fuel filter and the crankshaft sensor. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key and while I had the filter off I turned it and gas poured out so I believe the pump is fine. It's been down for a couple of weeks now as I scoured the web for answers but I haven't been successful. I would like to check to make sure it's even getting fire to the plugs but I don't know how to do that with this motor. I would really appreciate any help that could be provided.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: 2005 CTS 3.6L Cranks But Will Not Start

Did the battery go dead or get disconnected for a while? If so, you need to do a thottle relearn. You basically turn the key to run, without starting it obviously, and let it sit that way for 10-15 minutes. That will reset the throttle position.

rodneyk915 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

No, my daughter had driven it to her school and when she got out of class she drove it across the road to a store. When she came out of the store it wouldn't start so we had it towed home. But I will try what you suggested anyway Jimmy, it can't hurt anything. Thanks.

search for "won't start" here. do an advanced search and search only in thread titles.
    you are bound to find a discussion that will help you.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

If it were an 03, I'd say the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) but I don't think the 05's had that problem. How about the fuel pump fuse? Any codes?

Coke_O is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2L V6

ECM? This seems to be the common theme these days.

Just wait until Microsoft gets into all our cars. And you have to pull over to reboot.

Coke_O is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2L V6
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Just wait until Microsoft gets into all our cars. And you have to pull over to reboot.
    Format and reinstall

rgl
    rgl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Our 07 3.6 had several cases of this non-starting issue. Start the car, back it down the drive and park on street, or back it out of the garage to wash it. Start it a little later and move it back, then leave it off overnight. Next morning it will not start, requiring jumper cables and MANY cranking sessions (half hour) to get it to start. Like it's flooded. We now do not start it without running it for 3 - 4 minutes.

fcnjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L

I have a 2006 CTS 3.6L with 63k miles. On three differrent occasions it has failed to start. It would fire intially but then die. Then it would crank but not start. No codes. Had it towed to dealer three times. First two under warranty. This last time out of warranty. Each time dealer daid it was carbon fourling due to my not using correct gas. BS. This cost $250 today to get it out of jail. Running great but I have no trust. I think it is ECM. Any comments/suggestions?

----------

Correction. It is a 2006 CTS.

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Check for leaks in black plastic intake tubing from air filter box to plenum, especially on the bottom side where you can't see.

halerl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Did the battery go dead or get disconnected for a while? If so, you need to do a thottle relearn. You basically turn the key to run, without starting it obviously, and let it sit that way for 10-15 minutes. That will reset the throttle position.
    My 2007 CTS would crank but not start. I burned up a starter trying to get it started. A week before the starter problem my battery died. My car has been sitting for over a month. So todayas i was waiting for the tow truck to take my car to The Caillac service department, I came across this post, followed the instructions and it worked. Thank you you saved me a grip of money for sure. Funny thing the tow truck came and broke down in front of my house. Been sitting there for three hours now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.