How to replace rear wheel stud?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How to replace rear wheel stud? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Doing seasonal tire changeover a stud snapped. They were all way too tight - new winter tires & wheels installed ...
    GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

How to replace rear wheel stud?

Doing seasonal tire changeover a stud snapped. They were all way too tight - new winter tires & wheels installed by a shop. Anyway, I'm able to get the stud out easily enough, but looks like I need to remove some more things if I want to have enough room to insert the replacement one (the old one came out easily enough because it is about half the length of a proper one). What do I need to remove? If I need to remove that centre nut and remove, does anyone know the size? My largest socket is 32mm and that isn't quite big enough. Pics attached ...
    DSC02428.JPG
    DSC02431.jpg

Thanks!

-GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hoopr50 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts

Re: How to replace rear wheel stud?

Step 1: Get the new stud from an auto store
    Step 2: insert stud into the hub
    Step 3: find a nut or something with a big enough opening to fit over the stud so that it slids over it and down to the hub
    Step 4: put the lugnut on
    step 5: use an impact wrench to tighten the lugnut down on the bigger object you used and do so until the stud is pulled into place

GT!

Thanks for the reply. Just did step 1, but step 2 is the problem. There isn't enough room to slip the stud in whithout removing the hub or something. I'm wondering what I remove?

-GT

GT!

Did a little more research. Looks like I do need to remove the hub (as I feared).
    http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/2...illac-cts.html

-GT

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

lift both rear wheels off the ground so you can rotate the hub, if you look at where the hub mounts to the spindle(i think its called) there is 3 bolts, its sort of a triangle pattern, so between 2 of the bolts on 1 of the sides of the triangle section you should have more space, you will probably have to have the stud on a angle as you slip it in, but it should fit.
    on my truck there was only 1 spot you can feed the studs through and it was close but fit.

although i do remember soeone else on here in the same situation as you he was having trouble changing the stud as well.

GT!

That's what I was looking/hoping for G-Mike, but couldn't find anywhere that seems to have more room. There is a full circular metal shield behind (I guess because of the e-brake shoe, which I've removed so you don't see it in my pic), so even between the triangular openings the shield is there preventing me from getting the stud in. Right now it isn't even close ... not just a question of missing a little space. The shield is sandwiched between the hub so it can't be removed without removing the hub.

Will I need to buy/rent a hub puller to get it off or do they typically come off easily enough?

-GT

is it just the dust shield in the way??? dude honestly if its just the tin shield stopping you take a drill to it..30 seconds and you are done, that shield isnt that big of a deal if it has a small hole in it, hell my trucks are rusted right through and have multiple holes in them.

GT!

Hehehe ... was thinking about that but thought that was too much of a ghetto solution (no pun intended), but ok I'll take another look at that ...

-GT

Quote Originally Posted by GT! View Post
    Hehehe ... was thinking about that but thought that was too much of a ghetto solution (no pun intended), but ok I'll take another look at that ...

-GT
    its called being innovative.

GT!

Job completed Thanks G-Mike!

It was still pretty tight ... had to drill through a bit of the flange as well to allow the stud to drop in straight. The best spot (most space) was on the top side - at least that made it easy to work on. At one point I thought it wasn't goint to work, but a little banging to force it and I was in business. No trouble at all pulling it flush to the hub - just tightened a lug nut against a washer and it slid into position without too much of a fight.

-GT

pics of the "access hole" lol
    good job man, i would have totally just drilled the dust shield too. when you start taking more and more apart you have a higher risk of damaging other parts. i know my axle shaft threads are rusted and i bet if i ever have to replace a rear hub ill have to change the axle shaft too.
    i covered them in rust proof oil and then thick grease to prevent further damage...

E Wreck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Pic of said hole would be awesome. I know this is late, but I'm having a very similar situation. Innovation definitely saves time. lol

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

that is weird.
    I thought I saw an access notch when I replaced the hub on my CTS. You just have to rotate the hub to where the notch and bolt hole match up so you can slide in the bolt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.