V Sways are on!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, V Sways are on!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; well i think most of my suspension work is finished now...just gota get a rear STB made up eventually. current ...
    ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

V Sways are on!!

well i think most of my suspension work is finished now...just gota get a rear STB made up eventually.
    current setup:
    FE3
    Mighty mouse mod
    Eibach Pro Kit
    CTS-V Sways
    some beafed up front sway links..no idea what they are designed for but look like double the thickness of the stock front ones.
    rear sway links im still hunting for something that works, but mine are in good shape so i left them for now.

car is driving amazing, not bouncy at all from the drop, all seems solid and is torqued to GM Spec.
    have to say im happy with the setup i chose, havent driven much on the new sways but it feels more noticeable in the front end than the rear, but that could be partially because of the stock links still.

the front links i got i will give the part number and brand because for 2 it cost me a little over $50 but for OEM CTS sway links its going to cost over $150 each...insane considering how crappy they are. these are a good replacement/upgrade if you ever need to. sa
    Nascar Advantage by MOOG(MOOG is a good brand from what i hear)
    022-6959-2me length as the stock ones i had on.
    i spent about 30-45 min in Partsource opening every single sway link with one of the workers in the back until i found one i liked and fit properly.(threw him $5 as a thanks for letting me just go look through stock myself which he appreciated) but the guys at that store know me fairly well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Longsnapper52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Thunder Gray

Re: V Sways are on!!

Nice work man. I've got some V Sways in the garage waiting for the right opportunity to go on. Do you recommend I switch the stock V links?

you have stock V links?
    just check what condition they are in. my front links were a little rough, when you take them off you need a allen key (5mm i think it was) and a wrench to take the bolt off (gearwrenches are your best friend here) problem is the front ones get dirt hitting them soo much that they rust faster and they strop very easily. i soaked mine in penetrating oil the day before they were to come off but it didnt help.
    the rears i also soaked in the oil but they were still in great shape so i didnt have any issues.

i would get rid of the stock cts sway links, if you have V links put them on, if you dont have V links the next best thing is Corvette links, sounds like the V guys are using Z06 links which is what i was going to get but the guy selling them locally replied he has them then i said i want them and he hasnt emailed back.(corvette links will be shotrer and you will probably have to put a jack inder the control arm to line them up).. so i was planing on puttong them on once i get them but then i got these new massive front links that look like they are probably designed for a truck so ill keep them on. the ball joints on these are soo big and stiff to move, im sure they are part of the reason my front end feels like it tightened up more than the rear did.( i always found the front end was not as responsive as the rear end was...and i dont drive hard at all)
    i did find the matching rears to the front ones i got but they didnt look like they would fit otherwise i would have grabbed them too.

heres a pic so you can compare the links
    new

old

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    you have stock V links?
    just check what condition they are in. my front links were a little rough, when you take them off you need a allen key (5mm i think it was) and a wrench to take the bolt off (gearwrenches are your best friend here) problem is the front ones get dirt hitting them soo much that they rust faster and they strop very easily. i soaked mine in penetrating oil the day before they were to come off but it didnt help.
    the rears i also soaked in the oil but they were still in great shape so i didnt have any issues.

i would get rid of the stock cts sway links, if you have V links put them on, if you dont have V links the next best thing is Corvette links, sounds like the V guys are using Z06 links which is what i was going to get but the guy selling them locally replied he has them then i said i want them and he hasnt emailed back.(corvette links will be shotrer and you will probably have to put a jack inder the control arm to line them up).. so i was planing on puttong them on once i get them but then i got these new massive front links that look like they are probably designed for a truck so ill keep them on. the ball joints on these are soo big and stiff to move, im sure they are part of the reason my front end feels like it tightened up more than the rear did.( i always found the front end was not as responsive as the rear end was...and i dont drive hard at all)
    i did find the matching rears to the front ones i got but they didnt look like they would fit otherwise i would have grabbed them too.
    hey,

The END LINKS are the same for the cts-v as it is for the CTS. I went to the dealership to get V endlinks and the parts manager looked it up and said to use my old ones on my V Sways and I haven't had a problem with the install or since then.

Ghetto, did you have any problems with the end links rubbing when you put on the lowering springs? A friend of mine put on coil overs and had a clicking sound because the endlinks were too long. He had to get adjustable links??

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    hey,

The END LINKS are the same for the cts-v as it is for the CTS. I went to the dealership to get V endlinks and the parts manager looked it up and said to use my old ones on my V Sways and I haven't had a problem with the install or since then.

Ghetto, did you have any problems with the end links rubbing when you put on the lowering springs? A friend of mine put on coil overs and had a clicking sound because the endlinks were too long. He had to get adjustable links??
    wow im kinda surprised, i just looked it up and you are right they use the same sway links on V and non V... kinda insane..but that explains why the V guys switch to Z06 links.

no, no rubbing, no clicking, nothing. theres actually a lot of space around the links.
    if you look at the pic of my new links you can see all the space, and that with the rims on and car on the ground(fully weighted)
    what car did your friend use the coilovers on?

adjustable links are nice because you can shorten them the more you lower your car,eibachs claim to only drop it 1.5 inches i think (but mine seem to have gone down at least 2")problem is i didnt want to dump more on links than i paid for the sways...i was at Princess auto and i was looking at adjustable links for farm equipment because of how strong the links are,very cheap,adjustable and that they have grease fittings on them, but decided against them because i noticed there is a little slack in the ball joints and the part where you adjust the length..maybe thats where the clicking is coming from on your friends car??
    i had coilovers on a older car of mine and i found the springs and sleeves made a lot of noise..but i didnt buy a strut and spring coilover setup..i just got springs and sleeves and used the on stock shocks..bad idea lol.
    i going to measure the links on the back of my truck and see if they are compatable with the cts, but my truck is in storage and hopefully i can get to it in 2 weeks or so.

Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport

about time man.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

wow im kinda surprised, i just looked it up and you are right they use the same sway links on V and non V... kinda insane..but that explains why the V guys switch to Z06 links.

no, no rubbing, no clicking, nothing. theres actually a lot of space around the links.
    if you look at the pic of my new links you can see all the space, and that with the rims on and car on the ground(fully weighted)
    what car did your friend use the coilovers on?

adjustable links are nice because you can shorten them the more you lower your car,eibachs claim to only drop it 1.5 inches i think (but mine seem to have gone down at least 2")problem is i didnt want to dump more on links than i paid for the sways...i was at Princess auto and i was looking at adjustable links for farm equipment because of how strong the links are,very cheap,adjustable and that they have grease fittings on them, but decided against them because i noticed there is a little slack in the ball joints and the part where you adjust the length..maybe thats where the clicking is coming from on your friends car??
    I had coilovers on a older car of mine and i found the springs and sleeves made a lot of noise..but i didnt buy a strut and spring coilover setup..i just got springs and sleeves and used the on stock shocks..bad idea lol.
    i going to measure the links on the back of my truck and see if they are compatable with the cts, but my truck is in storage and hopefully i can get to it in 2 weeks or so.
    My friend has a coil over setup and it's slammed. I don't know what shock/strut set up he has though. He has a bmw 3 series. He got the adjustable links after they found out what was making the clicking sound and it's gone now.

Do you Think you have more room because of the mightymouse mod? i was thinking about lowering my car but i want to get rims first. So not anytime soon. I also gotta finish my audio setup.

My friend has a coil over setup and it's slammed. I don't know what shock/strut set up he has though. He has a bmw 3 series. He got the adjustable links after they found out what was making the clicking sound and it's gone now.

Do you Think you have more room because of the mightymouse mod? i was thinking about lowering my car but i want to get rims first. So not anytime soon. I also gotta finish my audio setup.
    the mighty mouse mod wouldnt affect the tie rod space, and the MM mod is only on the rear end.
    i guess there is just more room on the CTS than the 3serise bmw.

i would definitely get rims first...i hate stock wheels on everything....just personal preference i guess...but dont wast time with 18" rims.
    when i got this car i said i wouldnt do anything with the suspension at all...well i guess that passed, but ive had it just over 3 years now.

i dont know what shocks you are on but you only have to do the MishtyMouse mod if you are on FE3 or other load leveling, otherwise you dont.. Gaetano is on FE2 and hes got eibachs pro kit and eibach sways, no tie rod rubbing that i know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    about time man.
    when are you getting 20s?

you have stock V links?
    The guy I bought them from installed Eibachs and adjustable links so they were included.

I heard the V links were thicker. when I compared them to my current end links they definitely look thicker. But according to gmpartsdirect.com they only have one link option. It was probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Longsnapper52 View Post
    The guy I bought them from installed Eibachs and adjustable links so they were included.

I heard the V links were thicker. when I compared them to my current end links they definitely look thicker. But according to gmpartsdirect.com they only have one link option. It was probably just wishful thinking on my part.
    most V guys dont use eibachs because of the minimal size difference, they use Hotchkis or Addco..GMPP was the thickest but they are discontinued.
    not saying he didnt use eibachs...just sayin it would have been almost pointless.

eibach front 28mm tubular vs CTS-V 26.5mm tubular
    eibach rear 22mm tubular v.s cts-v 21mm solid
    curious which would be stiffer out of the rears, but the fronts would be noticeable.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2274216

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I might have some Eibach fronts up if anyones interested. I'm thinking about switching back to a stock front sway

You could totally be right mike. I'd have to go back and check my old emails. Maybe I'm thinking eibach springs.

od may have a good deal for someone... you can buy the eibach sway bars individually, but also there is someone in the V section selling either a eibach front and V rear or V front and eibach rear...i cant remember which setup it was..

Longsnapper - there is a chance he did buy eibachs, as i just wrote, someone else is selling a mix match set of eibach and V sways...just usually they skip over eibach and go to something that would have a more significant difference.
    i would love to try out all the different sways on identical shock spring setups to see the actual differences.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.