Cadillac Owners Forum banner

*** FAQ - DIY - Guides - How-To - Manuals ***

227K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  hdhart 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Owners Manual
2007 - 2007_cadillac_cts_owners.pdf (Although this is a 2007 manual, most of the content should be the same for all 2003-2007 cars.)

FAQ
(2.8 and 3.6 are similar and certain guides could be used for both engines.)

Common Issues and recalls
Transmission Cooler Line failures - Primary Issue #1
Timing Chain on 3.6 / 2.8 - Primary Issue #2
Wiper/sprayer motor failure - COMMON ISSUE: Windshield wipers won't turn off
Rusted brake hard lines - Brake Issue - hard line failure / rusted brake hard lines
Front frame rail rust - CTS frame rust????
Sail panel / C-pillar interior trim panel comes loose - Rear interior sail panel fix?

Significant Recalls / TSBs
Brake hose recall for cold / winter states / countries (rusty brake lines may fail)
Steering Recall
Passenger seat airbag recall
Differential pinion seal recall
ECM reprogram for fuel delivery recall
3.2L PCV valve TSB

Exterior and Appearance Modifications
How to determine whether you have HIDs or halogen lights
HID installation on stock Halogen (refer to bumper guide as well for extra assistance)
HID ballast replacement without stock ballast
Clear Fog light tutorial
STS-V Fogs in CTS installation
Front Bumper Removal
Rear Bumper Removal
How to fix 3rd Brake Light
How to convert 3rd brake light to LED
How to disable DRL
How to debadge
How to remove Side mirrors
How to install Side mirrors
How to remove the grill
How to drill and install a spoiler
How to install spoiler with 3m double sided tape
How to plug up holes from Front plate holder removal
2-item DIY Outside mirror and dash cover removal
How to replace Trunk Support

Interior Modifications
How to do suede door inserts
How to suede your headliner
How to change LED lights on interior lights
How to freshen up leather seats
How to switch outlets from constant on, to on only when car is on
Dash cluster removal

Alarm, Security and Audio
How to program keys
How to change Door Speakers
How to remove rear deck lid to access subwoofer
How to change DIC color
How to install iPod into your radio
How to Unjam CD from Radio
How to change stock radio into NAV system
How to retain DIC with Aftermarket Radio 1
How to retain DIC with Aftermarket Radio 2
USA-SPEC Direct iPod Interface install
CARPUTER
CARPUTER GUIDE
More double din install info
The complete guide to 1st gen CTS Navigation unit installation
How to add an auxiliary switch input
Double DIN LED light fix

Maintenance and Fixes

3.2L V6:
How to change the alternator on a 3.2L / 2.6 V6
How to change Spark Plugs on the 3.2L
How to change Serpentine belt in 3.2 engine
How to check OBDII codes on '03 CTS
3.2L PCV Service Bulletin How-To

2.8 / 3.6L V6:
How to change Spark Plugs on the 2.8L and 3.6L
How to change the alternator on a 2.8L / 3.6L V6
How to change oil in 3.6 / 2.8 engine
3.6L Timing Chain Repair Guide 1
3.6L Timing Chain Repair Guide 2
3.6L Timing Chain Repair Guide 3 off an SRX
Timing chain replacement - 2005 3.6L
Cylinder / Coil Pack Numbers on 3.6 / 2.8 system

Drivetrain:
How to change automatic transmission fluid in 5L40E
How to remove differential
"No Reverse" fix for Aisin 6 speed manual (3.6L) - (Shifter bushing)
Transmission Cooler Install - Documented
Transmission line failure & external tranny cooler install

General maintenance:
How to replace Cabin Air Filter
How to Seafoam your car
How to perform the Throttle Position Relearn procedure
Reprogram TPMS system (Tire pressure monitoring system)
The Bushing Thread

Intake, Exhaust and Performance
3.2L Dyno Results from Various Intakes
3.6L Dyno Results from Various Intakes
Swaybar Diameter List
From Single to Dual Exhaust Installation
TonyA Intake - DIY "ram air"
Ghettano Intake - DIY "ram air" / cold air intake
How to add V-Max iceolater
RX Oil Catch Can DIY

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
2003 3.2 timing belt replacement info, here are some pics of the timing marks and "I didnt have to buy the $120 timing tool" i just set the cams one at a time by hand. when tearing down set the crank pulley at about 11:00 o'clock so there is adequate room in the cylinders for the cams to move without touching the valves on the pistons. then remove the belt, when installing the new belt use the lines on the new belt to help line up your marks. before you remove the crank pulley remove 1 (one) bolt and with "whiteout" paint the bolt hole all the way threw it so you know where the pulley was originally this is very important later. I had to remove both heads and install all the intake valves my self because no machine shop in my rural area wanted to touch them. and the theory that the lifters must go back in the same holes is false. I went and got a set of used lifters and installed them so witch hole did they belong in???? and all is fine. but when you are at the end of your repair and you had the heads off you must make a tool to pump oil in the oil galleys from the oil sending unit or you will have a lifter tick you cant get rid of!!!!! its not such a bad job to do but you must have the patients of god, just take your time work with a positive attitude and it will be ok. here is the timing mark on the crank everyone says is not there, notice the pointer on the oil pump? and the lines on the crank pulley? if you didnt paint the bolt hole you will not know witch place to put the crank pulley on at. therefore making the timing mark useless unless you know that the straight like on the timing belt crank gear points straight down. like i said i didnt buy the tool for this and it was no trouble to set the timing for me but if you are taking off the cam pulleys they can be 180 out of time so with your whiteout mark the sides of the cam gears on the side the pin in the end of the cams are. i wish i had taken more photos but these are the most important so you can make it through this with no troubles good luck anyone who is doing this can call me for info 270-617-8258 Tony..... also i bought my timing kit $77.35 from http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2003/cadillac/cts/engine_mechanical/timing_belt.html quality stuff and my head gasket kit $163.35 http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2003/cadillac/cts/engine_mechanical/head_gasket.html , valves from ebay $77.88 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Sa...adillac|Model:CTS&hash=item2c674c6467&vxp=mtr waterpump and thermostat/with housing from autozone. dont break the tube coming from the thermostat housing to the side of the head out of production from caddy, EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND !!!!!!! also notice that i numbered my cams and cam caps and kept them together at all times, i layed everything out in order of removal from the front of car to the rear so i knew how to do it in reverse order when going back together. B&M Oil/Trans cooler $71.67 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=b&m 70266 oil cooler
I RESEARCHED ALL THESE PRICES FOR 2 WEEKS AND THIS IS THE BEST PARTS FOR THE BEST PRICES and i bought my oil cooler lines at a semi truck parts house the were air-o-quip fittings and they were somewhat worried that the fittings were a lil big for my original trans rubber hoses but they worked 100% fine they also sold me the hose to make the extensions to the cooler i bought 3' but used about 2.5 ft, a lil extra is better than not enough. i spent about $850 in parts

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
if you are having wiper troubles go to a junk yard and get a used wiper motor and put it on, that is the most cost effective way to repair. mine would come on by them selves all the time

----------

Hello, not sure if in correct forum location or not, computer idiot. I'm looking for help with problem with 06 CTS with 3.6 and 120k. Car has been well maintained and driven. New plugs at 100k. The major drivability problem I have with car (beside having to remove front end and adding a qt. of oil every 1000 miles). Every since 30-40k when I park the car for more than a couple of days and my first attempt to start the car it would stumble and misfire. Thinking that it was a battery problem I started putting a trickle charger on it, but the charger has not really helped beyond ruling out a battery/voltage problem. The misfire has gradually gotten worse. I just returned from a week long trip, before I left I put the car in the garage and put the trickle charger on a 2 month old battery. When I returned I checked battery voltage 12.95 volts. When I attemped to start car it started briefly but was stumblin and coughing very badly and shut off after a couple of seconds. On my next try the started did not sound normal at all and it would not start. I let it set for about 60 seconds and it fired up but with about the same results as first time, I gave it a few pats of gas and it gradually came to life, and it ran fine for the rest of the day. I replace the fuel and air intake filters about 3 months ago, and I alway turn the key on and pause a couple of seconds for the fuel pump to catch up before I hit starter. Any ideas or suggestions (except match in fuel tank) out there? Thanks Barry
.............. have you had the coils checked?

#42 ·
ELECTRICAL GREMLINS
If anyone has electrical gremlins not only in Cadillac's but other vehicles as well check this out. I was chasing intermittent electrical problems for months and did every under the hood electrical connector I could find and haven't had any problems for almost a year after doing this. BTW, this electrical fretting problem (per the internet) also caused some problems on F-16 fighter jets.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.