Transmission Lines
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Lines in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I've been in the works of replacing the lines and also soon installing a PCV oil catch as well ...
    odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Transmission Lines

So I've been in the works of replacing the lines and also soon installing a PCV oil catch as well as a external trans cooler. The trans cooler is taking a backseat for now, I'm going to do the lines first off. However, when the line was being removed from the rad, seems like something happened, because now I can't thread it back in. Anyone got any suggestions besides a larger thread, teflon/loctite combo? Thats my first thought, but figured maybe someone knew a little better on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blatant blue is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Thunder Gray CTS 3.6L

Re: Transmission Lines

This probably won't help, but I had the dealership flush/fill my tranny.. When they removed the lines from the radiator, they stripped the threads and had to REPLACE the radiator.

I was shocked, but apparently you're not supposed to remove the lines or something.

Pft, what a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by blatant blue View Post
    This probably won't help, but I had the dealership flush/fill my tranny.. When they removed the lines from the radiator, they stripped the threads and had to REPLACE the radiator.

I was shocked, but apparently you're not supposed to remove the lines or something.

Pft, what a joke.
    I had gone for a trans flush / fill about 2 months ago. But thats definitely a good idea for people who may need a trans flush anyway. Kinda like knockin two birds with one stone.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

ya the stripped lines is the main reason for the line blowing off.
    sorry to say but it looks like you need a new rad at a price tage of 350 i think or a aftermarket external cooler to the tune of 40-150

anyone see these ones? they look kinda cool, but will they work??
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-FI...Q5fAccessories

this design is more common but those fittings are going to need some adapters.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories

i like the look of this one with all the parts.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flex-...Q5fAccessories

someone else has one with a ballbering that stopper the flow till the tranny was at pooerating temp.. i think it was txbest... ide like to know the model of it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ose-leads.html

or more specifically

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2438937

What do you think? Think retapping isn't worth it? If I have to get a new rad, then I'm definitely not going for the external cooler. I think I might go the route of doing the ext cooler and tapping into this rad though.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

That post was about a plastic tube on the top of the rad, he broke the plastic.
    Re-tapping...I dunno man, its weak metal to begin with...your call.
    The point of running a external cooler is to bypass the rad and its faulty fittings, its not to add more cooling to the tranny.

New lines + external cooler = done.
    Now I'm off to home depot for the other parts for the PCV oil catch can. Thanks for the heads up on the whole setup. I'll hopefully have some pics of the PCV setup very soon.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

od...sorry to say it, but you either need to do the external cooler now or replace the rad. as far as a new rad for $350+ seems a little crazy to me, i bought an aftermarket one off of ebay two years ago for $154 shipped to my door, so shop around. as you know i added the external cooler on my CTS when i had it, and out of the ones mike listed a few post up, i used one very similar to the third one he posted and got it from autozone

External cooler and the new trans lines are both done. I'll take some pics of how its mounted.

This is the external cooler for the trans. I have it mounted behind the grill. Underneath the car would have been a bad idea here in NYC. It would have been damaged, cracked, lost, etc

MIKAR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

QUESTION: When you (whomever has done it) installed the ext. cooler did you just cut the trans line and add the extra length? or did you replace the whole thing with a different kind of connection set up? (not sure if I understand my own second question)

I guess what I ment to say was did you just use a hose with clamps at both ends? oh heck ...... can someone just tell me how they did it and if possiable show a couple pics of how you connected the trans lines both at the cooler and at the point where it attaches to the whatever its called (long day and frustrated that I didnt get it finished in one day !!!)

Cut and add, barbs and clamps.

MIKAR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by odthetruth View Post
    Cut and add, barbs and clamps.
    Thank You !!!! Forgot to ask though .... what do you suggest I cap off the radiator with?

johnys customs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts 3.6 Auto

^ FYI Autozone, Oreillys etc all sell the fittings, couplers, plugs for this project. alot of times they dont know what your asking them for so they tell you know....Just tell em Show me the large box with the plumbing supplies. it's all there and low cost
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

Yup. Home Depot also has it in the plumbing dept, which is where I got mine at.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.