05 CTS 3.6L Timing Chain Job, Tons-o-pics (I mean tons) - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 CTS 3.6L Timing Chain Job, Tons-o-pics (I mean tons) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; More cut and paste. Funny how GM's fix is what I am recommending, top tier gas, and not a catch ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Re: 05 CTS 3.6L Timing Chain Job, Tons-o-pics (I mean tons)

More cut and paste. Funny how GM's fix is what I am recommending, top tier gas, and not a catch can. Use clean gas and your engine will run fine even if it may have some meaningless deposits that only scare people who don't care about proof.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

You wont quit will you.....all catchcans are not the same, and no catch can causes fuel dilution...it is impossible, RX or other.

I think his pictures show pretty much "real world" and the fact that this is what we do....build and rebuild engines, and every picture except yours shows the gunk build-up.

The gunk buiuldup is caused by the oil ingestion.....trap the oil before it is ingested and you have no buildup plain and simple.
    And it has been pointed out over and over again "NO FUEL TOUCHES the intake side of the valves where the gunk deposits form.....so it does not matter what fuel is used on DI motors. The fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber on the only in the combustion chamber for a milisecond. For a top tier fuel, or fuel additive to have any effect on keep valves clean it has to be a port injected or carburated engine where the aitr/fuel mixture passes the intake side of the valves allowing it to contack the sureface where the deposits form.

Engnineering Systems is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Top Tier Fuel is recommended to keep fuel system clean and injectors clean, since no fuel touches the valves on DI motors, you need to either perform regular upper induction cleanings or use a catch can. A catch can cannot "make" oil, it only collects. GM will not use a catch can due to the normal owners not understanding how to utilize it and due to emissions, all contaminants need to be kept within the motor. ktr-sb, you need to get a grip on reality, this is only a preventative maintenance and it will help keep you engine clean, if you choose not to do it then bring it to my shop so I can hose you for a 150.00 upper induction cleaning every 40-60k. or pay once for a catch can and prolong the life of your engine. Even Ferraris and masseratis of the day utilize one to keep ingestion down.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i think ktr-sb's point is that he's done no upper induction cleanings and only used top tier gas and has a very nice looking intake (sure some carbon build up but not major)

the one main issue that has been touched upon but not really brought to the forefront is that ktr-sb's engine is not DI and does spray gas on the valve stems and tops of the valves
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

icaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

bump up

On a port injection motor if top tier fuels are used (what ktr-sb has) then you can drive 200 k miles and have good clean intake valves, not so on a DI engine of any brand. Here is a compilation of pictures submitted by techs from all over the world from every manufacturer you can think of (even new motor cycles with DI):

http://www.google.com/search?q=intak...w=2021&bih=875

ktr-sb has a personal vendetta aginst me and his BS (even though much of what he contributes is good, this he is so far off on and he wont let it drop) has gotten beyond old and he is doing such a diservice to members with his BS I question how he is good for this forum. I am fed up with his attacks.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

icaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My 04 CTS is close to 80k miles and I am thinking maybe it's good idea to replace the timing chain myself since it's a major concern. Why can't those pictures display?

And using a catchcan that allows as much oil to pullthrough as they catch is not the answer either:

Below shows how this oil gunking/coking also causes the rings to stick in the ringlands multiplying the oil consumption issue:

And for the super charged crowd even WITH port injection and no good catchcan this is 16K miles on a brand new car....look at the intercooler and how obstructed and coated it is reducing its ability to cool the air charge:

A new CTS-V/ZR1/ZL1 blower after 15 k miles WITH the RX catchcan installed at app 1000 miles:
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

kenkaren2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 srx

before you took the chains off where was the crankshaft pulley,does the motor have to be at #1 piston TDC then you follow the procedure.please explain to me thank you ken thomas.

tigger0195 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 eldo, 96 eldo

hey first time post and new member . after trying upper engine decarb and induction, i still had low compression on two cylinders on b(1) . found air box not secured at the bottom pins werent in there slots and literally a dead mouse and nest in air filter housing . lots of debris including hard nut shells. i suspected he might of injested some foreign matter that was not to friendly to the rings on these two front cyls.. so i just finished a rebuild on this engine. (rings, seals, chains, actuator (one) and a recondition on heads ( about 70 % of valves leaking . cust is a guy "too light on the happy pedal lots of carbon build up ) I installed starter on engine stand after priming oil system to double check myself before install. engine is cranking slower than normal: had a battery attached with charger on 40 amps , compression was pretty even 115 to 120 across the board. im thinking rotation speed is culprit and also scoped waveform on starter all cylinders look real close any feedback would be appreciated. oh ps i dont have the locking tool for the flexplate did you purchase this for your project or do u know how to install balancer w/o it thank you for your attention really like this forum and u have my apologies if the info was machine gunned. I am still at work.

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Is anyone having trouble with the pics? I get a photobucket image. I mean the pics on pages 1,2 etc.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

everyone is having trouble with the pics... the original poster either removed their pictures from photobucket or renamed them or moved them or photobucket has disabled them

i've said it before and i'll say it again ... use imageshack ... i never have these problems and i post pictures all the time
    imageshack doesn't even require an account and their upload tool is super easy to use... just right click the image and 'upload to imageshack'
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

For those of you who want pics here is another thread. He even has a web page with some additional details.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...pics-step.html

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

imgur.com also works really well. I've checked links I posted on facebook a year ago and the pictures are still there.

tboyd4084 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Doug,
    you seem to know all there is to know about cadillac cts... so... my 07 CTS with the 3.6 engine has a problem. My husband accelerated hard the other day running the rpms into the 6000 range and then we got the blinking check engine light and the car started running rough at idle and during driving. Hasn't gone away even though he changed the spark plugs. What else could it be?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.