05 CTS 3.6L Timing Chain Job, Tons-o-pics (I mean tons) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 CTS 3.6L Timing Chain Job, Tons-o-pics (I mean tons) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; O.O ....I don't know whether to hug you or just shoot myself. I was hoping this would be a job ...
    BlackCadillac91 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd

Re: 05 CTS 3.6L Timing Chain Job, Tons-o-pics (I mean tons)

O.O ....I don't know whether to hug you or just shoot myself. I was hoping this would be a job I could do myself with a friend or two but now I'm thinking otherwise. I just don't have the money to get it done by a pro at the moment so i just have to pray the car stays together :/

Anyway this is an amazing write up and I'm extremely impressed that you took the time to write this up for us. If I ever do attempt to do this myself I will definitely use this write up. Regardless, thanks for the detail, I think I speak for everyone when I say this is GREATLY appreciated and long overdue
    rcordero likes this.

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

pretty freakin awesome dude. It's hard enough to do the job much less to stop and take pictures and do a write up. Very cool, hey which sealant did you use for the front cover ?

Doug In NC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Friend of CTS Owner

The FIRST time I installed the timing cover I used Mopar Engine RTV, I can get the part number off the tube when I get home. The second time (after I PROPERLY set the timing) I used Victor Reinz sealant. I've had good luck with both and since the car runs dexcool I didn't want to run just any type of sealer.

When I was still at the Chrysler Dealer the guys at the training center were telling us that with the Chrysler 5 year antifreeze we couldn't use the older type of sealer. The "HOAT" coolant can break down certain sealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug In NC View Post
    The FIRST time I installed the timing cover I used Mopar Engine RTV, I can get the part number off the tube when I get home. The second time (after I PROPERLY set the timing) I used Victor Reinz sealant. I've had good luck with both and since the car runs dexcool I didn't want to run just any type of sealer.

When I was still at the Chrysler Dealer the guys at the training center were telling us that with the Chrysler 5 year antifreeze we couldn't use the older type of sealer. The "HOAT" coolant can break down certain sealers.

I used the red hi-temp sealer (never listen to the parts guys) and I'm thinking I shoudl have used something else. Notice slight oil at one of the bolts. The stuff I love is the stuff I used on my motorcycle it's a suzuki brand sealer. The only things is I have no idea how this holds up againts the dexcool crap.

The Victor Reinz part number is JV-8 and it's called "Bead N Seal".

I will note that I just finished the job Sunday night but I've not had a come-back related to the quality of either of the sealants I've listed. If anything had come back it was more of an over-torquing or gap in the sealant and not the sealer itself.

The Mopar Engine RTV is p/n 4883971 but I don't have a price on either.

The Caddy dealer wanted $20.00 for a tube of their stuff to which I kindly said no thank you. For the price it's worth it given the labor involved but I had known good sealer at home for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug In NC View Post
    The Victor Reinz part number is JV-8 and it's called "Bead N Seal".

I will note that I just finished the job Sunday night but I've not had a come-back related to the quality of either of the sealants I've listed. If anything had come back it was more of an over-torquing or gap in the sealant and not the sealer itself.

The Mopar Engine RTV is p/n 4883971 but I don't have a price on either.

The Caddy dealer wanted $20.00 for a tube of their stuff to which I kindly said no thank you. For the price it's worth it given the labor involved but I had known good sealer at home for free.

Yeah, I saw that in your thread which was what lead me to believe the job was something I could tackle at home. You were a bit cleaner with your install of the RTV and even went around the bolt holes. I went with more RTV all the way around and didn't circle the bolt holes except for in the inner port near the water pump and what not. I guess I'll find out whether or not that was enough to to the job or if I'll be tearing in to it in a couple of weeks. If it comes back leaking I may park it in a bad part of town and see what happens(ssshhhhhh).

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wow. And I thought I was going to contribute to the forum by doing a full blown write-up on "How to replace a windshield wiper".

Outstanding Thread..!!

Thanks!

But remember... when you go to make your wiper how-to that the site only allows 15 pictures per post

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

A wiper how-to will require 3 at most. LOL

Some might say I went overboard on the parts. I would say that there's no reason to fix one problem only to develop another from the repair process itself.

.......Item.......................Part Number .........Source .........Price
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Timing Chain Set ................76159 ............Autozone ......$219.99
    -.....Dexcool .......................AF888 ............Autozone ......$15.99
    -.....Oil Filter ......................CH8765 ..........Autozone.......$10.49
    -Injector O-Rings ............... ES70599 ........Autozone........$2.99 x 3 (4 O-rings per box)

-Distilled Water ...................2 gallons .........Wal-Mart ......$2.00
    -Engine Oil ..............................................Wal-Mart........$25-30

-Tensioner Gasket ...............12608750 .........Dealer .........$8.43
    -Tensioner Gasket ...............12566429 .........Dealer .........$4.39
    -Tensioner Gasket ...............12584040 .........Dealer .........$5.00
    - ..PCV Orfice .....................12583384 .........Dealer .........$15.40
    -Spark plug tube seals ..........12607600 ........Dealer......... $4.39 x 6
    -Gasket .............................12589477 .........Dealer .........$16.63
    -VVT solenoid seals ..............12593717 ........Dealer......... $4.39 x 4
    -Seal .................................12622550......... Dealer.........$11.14

-AC Delco h2o Pump ..............252-889 ..........Rock Auto ....$85.79 (Comes with gasket)
    -A/C Delco Spark Plugs ...........41-988........... Rock Auto ....$33.18 (for six, second revision for this model)
    -Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets ..VS50726R ........Rock Auto ....$27.79 (Without spark plug tube seals)
    -Fel-Pro Intake Gasket Set........MS96969 .......Rock Auto ....$28.79 (includes Upper & Lower gaskets)
    -Stant Thermostat & Housing assy. ..48818 .....Rock Auto.....$60.79
    -Wix Engine Air Filter ..................46653 .........Rock Auto......$16.83
    -FRAM Cabin Air Filter ...............CF10371 ........Rock Auto......$14.88

One week later and maybe 150 miles the car came back for a check up. Coolant level still slightly over-filled (I was expecting an air pocket) and no signs of oil leaks. The lower radiator hose still had some signs of coolant leakage though. I suspect that the old clamp that was broken yet still in place may have cut in to the hose and even though I put on new worm gear clamps the leak is still going to be present. It was a very small drip which much like before, probably would have evaporated before it dripped on to the ground and I'd never even know about it unless I took another look.

The plans are to change the oil out again in a week or two and maybe put on a new lower hose at that time. I cleaned everything off again today and will check it again at the later date.

The owner works from home so he doesn't get to rack up the usual mileage we'd see on an average car. The butt dyno says it's a bit peppier and the fuel economy gauge shows maybe a 10% increase. I would think that with all new timing components, new plugs, and a new air filter the results are within my expectations.

The math on the parts list above shows about $500.00 but I want to say there's a few things missing so probably $600.00 in parts and you could do the job like I did. Not everything on the list was needed so you could easily get out for less than $500, it just all depends on the condition of the patient.
    Doug

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How do I get the pics? This is fantastic info.

I'm not sure, they are still working for me and I haven't changed any of the locations for the pictures (hosted via photobucket). Perhaps it's a setting on your browser or user control panel for this forum???

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

maybe, I get the one just from 2/08/11, but none of the other ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.