DIY: Suede (or other) your Door Inserts, With no adhesive!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, DIY: Suede (or other) your Door Inserts, With no adhesive! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; After wanting to do this for a while, I finally had the time so I searched the forums and couldnt ...
    Roachthetires is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 3.6l Black Raven

DIY: Suede (or other) your Door Inserts, With no adhesive!

After wanting to do this for a while, I finally had the time so I searched the forums and couldnt find a write up on this so I figured hey, Ill try to do one.
    Here is what youll need:
    -Fabric of your choice (I went to a fabric store and got I think a 2'X1yard piece)
    -1 utility knife with new blades
    -2 screw drivers or what I used was a screw driver and a wood chisel( the sharp edge really helps get the fabric into your door)
    -Something to use as a template. I taped 2 pieces of paper together

Ok and we're off!
    Step1: Youll need to pop off your door handle cover. I used this process from cadillacfaq. "On the bottom edge of the plastic door handle cover are two small cutouts. Insert a flat tool into that cutout about 1/2 - 3/4 inch and push up slightly to release the inside catch on the cover from the projection that holds it. It is best to do both at once to minimize stress on the door handle. Push up and out to remove the door handle cover while holding the door handle in the open position."

Step 2: Next, Youll need to make a template for your door insert. I taped 2 pieces of paper together and traced around the edge of the door insert with my thumb nail to cut the paper and ended up with a pretty decent template.

Step 3: Next, Youll need to transfer your template onto your fabric of choice. I used brown fake suede. I found the easiest way to accomplish this is to use a piece of cardboard and thumb tacks to hold everything tight while you cut out your piece. Be sure to leave 1/4 to 1/2" Extra around all sides. Its better to have to much than too little.

Step 4: Here is the part that you have to be really careful doing. Take your utility knife with a fresh blade and trace around your door insert, Cutting the think piece of foam in the crack between the insert and the door. Dont worry, There is a piece of backing plastic that will prevent your insert from falling out of your door. In this pic you can see the layers of the door. Be sure to only do one pass with your blade. Ive found that multiple passes will make for a loose fit for the fabric. Note the thin plastic layer behind the foam: and here is me cutting around the insert:
    Step 5: After cutting CAREFULLY around the insert, Use your screw drive/ wood chisel to push your fabric into the slice you just created:
    Here is a close up pic of how clean it should look:
    If you run into a part where the fabric wont stay in the door tightly, What I did was cut a small strip of the fabric and used it sort of like a shim, jamming it into the slice where the fabric did not fit tightly.
    Step 6: After you have your fabric seated tightly around the perimeter of the insert, Now is the time to cut out the hole for your door handle. Be sure to leave at least an extra 1/4" when cutting out the hole. Its better to have more than less remember?
    Step 7: Reinstall your door handle cover and check that all the fabric is tight. Here is the finished product: and here is my girlfriend shooting my ar15;

Enjoy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: DIY: Suede (or other) your Door Inserts, With no adhesive!

I altered your post to make your pics pop up. I hope you don't mind. Great thread, and the GF with the AR = I see you also refinished your AR...Duracoat?

You get 10 internetz from me.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I altered your post to make your pics pop up. I hope you don't mind. Great thread, and the GF with the AR = I see you also refinished your AR...Duracoat?

You get 10 internetz from me.
    Thanks for the help! Yep its duracoat. Love that rifle

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Pretty slick idea

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

looks great, good job...my next project, still may use glue though.

agp
    agp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Ex-CTS owner

This is great, I'll be ordering some real suede in the near future and doing this project. The leftovers can be used to make straps for my watches.
    One question though - since you're not using the glue, if you rub on the suede, wouldn't it come off the door easily?

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    This is great, I'll be ordering some real suede in the near future and doing this project. The leftovers can be used to make straps for my watches.
    One question though - since you're not using the glue, if you rub on the suede, wouldn't it come off the door easily?
    Its in there pretty tight. I havent had any problems with it coming out yet

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

looks good, but my friend did the same thing but on his accord, and i hate to tell you but it was peeling within 6 months, and he glued his.

agp
    agp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Ex-CTS owner

I'm sure some packing tape rolled into a circle won't hurt, if you one day want the original inserts again.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

i had this done on my CTS a while ago...definitely an upgraded look...good write up

FYI...there was this same write up over in the V section from about two or three years ago

D-RoKK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Bringing this back to life... haha

But.. if anyone has done this, how is it holding up? Im looking to begin the process of reupholstering and this looks awesome!

Thanks

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I haven't looked closely at the door in my car, but if the whole door skin was removed, is it possible to get that piece out to cover it?

I started to suede it today, couldnt wait. The door piece in which gets covered looks like it is part of that hard foam and doesnt look removable.

My advice, cut about 1/2" extra around (you can always stuff it in), unplug your lock regulator (you will know what im talking about when you do it), and be very careful taking off the handle bezels. To get the suede in there tight, I put a sharp flat head screwdriver on it perpendicular to the cut and as I pushed I turned the screwdriver to pull it tight and mush it all in there.

Done! Thinking of adding a soft white glow wire as piping around the pannel sort of like a courtesy light like on the new cts v's.
    Attached Images

sandalet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic

You spoiled plastic idyll Cadillac)))

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.