2003 3.2L - radiator hose that leads to reservoir
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 3.2L - radiator hose that leads to reservoir in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys, I was attempting to replace my tensioner pulley and accidently broke some part on my radiator. Its the ...
    Coke_O is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2L V6

2003 3.2L - radiator hose that leads to reservoir

Hey guys, I was attempting to replace my tensioner pulley and accidently broke some part on my radiator. Its the brass connector that connects the top of the radiator to a hose that leads to the reservoir. Do any of you know if this is something that i can just remove w/ an extractor and replace? Or, do i need a whole new radiator? I've attached some photos.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2003 3.2L - radiator hose that leads to reservoir

Anyone?

what about removing the whole top piece off? does it come off?

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I checked a few '03 CTS radiator schematics and it seems that the broken part is not available separately. Sorry, I know it's not what you wanted to hear...

WickedGoat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2/2004 GTO/2004 GMC Yukon

Rippy can probably confirm that, but I think CT Essense is right.... you are probably on the hook for a new rad. Shit happens but look at it this way... Now you can avoid the whole "transmission cooling line popping off the radiator because the fitting broke" debacle and save yourself a potential headache

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

wicked ghost is right...the cooler line always blows off and this is a opportunity to fix it before it breaks.. i forget the price of the rad but its 250 or 350 i think..check with rippy, but then you still need your tranny lines attached and i dont know how to do that, i had the dealer attach the lines.

other option if you really want to save that rad is drill it out, tap it with threads and have a fitting made you can screw in there then attach that line back on... i think that is just the overflow return hose or something like that.

i think you are better off changing out the rad tho.

...Or you can take it to a Radiator Shop and have them repair the nipple. Prolly an easy, fast, cost effective fix.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am going with a new one. a couple of other connections broke as I was trying to remove the hoses. They pretty much broke into pieces as i was trying to remove the hoses. I think it was going to mess up soon anyway so it was probably best that it happened this way rather than leaving me stranded somewhere.

@ghettomike Is attaching the transmission cooling lines not something i can do myself?

Quote Originally Posted by CT ESSENCE View Post
    ...Or you can take it to a Radiator Shop and have them repair the nipple. Prolly an easy, fast, cost effective fix.
    it would have been nice to do this but i ended up breaking it more.

@WickedGoat is this something i can do myself?

This happened to me as I was installing the Throttle Body after cleaning.

The repair job is not hard at all. You have to reem out the broken piece that was left on the tank. I used a drill bit about the same size diameter as the plastic nipple. I slowly turned the drill bit with a pair of pliers, applying a little force. The area where the nipple attaches to the tank is plastic, so it doesn't take long to reem out.

BTW, take the remaining nipple piece out of the hose,..and dont lose it. You'll need it to insert it back into the tank after youn reem the broken piece out. The new hole has to be a little larger in diameter than the nipple for insertion. Insert it to the tank about 1/4" and use JB Weld to bond the nipple in place. Dab the outside of the nipple with a little JB Weld to bond within the hole and then around the nipple where it attaches to the hole. Let it cure well. Reattach the coolant hose, start the car and make sure it doesn"t leak.

I hope this works for you as well as it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CT ESSENCE View Post
    This happened to me as I was installing the Throttle Body after cleaning.

The repair job is not hard at all. You have to reem out the broken piece that was left on the tank. I used a drill bit about the same size diameter as the plastic nipple. I slowly turned the drill bit with a pair of pliers, applying a little force. The area where the nipple attaches to the tank is plastic, so it doesn't take long to reem out.

BTW, take the remaining nipple piece out of the hose,..and dont lose it. You'll need it to insert it back into the tank after youn reem the broken piece out. The new hole has to be a little larger in diameter than the nipple for insertion. iInsert about 1/4 inck and use JB Weld to bond the nipple in place. Dab the outside of the nipple with a little JB Weld to bond within the hole and then around the nipple where it attaches to the hole. Let it cure well.

I hope this works for you as it worked for me.
    Thanks for the info. I ended up breaking it more as i tried removing it to take it to get fixed. I can't beleive I didn't event think about doing what you did. Let me know how it holds up.

Sorry to hear that. Wish I would've thought about it sooner when it first happened to you.

I can't believe the damn think is made of plastic, including the upper tank. Anyway, Good luck with yours.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Coke_O View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am going with a new one. a couple of other connections broke as I was trying to remove the hoses. They pretty much broke into pieces as i was trying to remove the hoses. I think it was going to mess up soon anyway so it was probably best that it happened this way rather than leaving me stranded somewhere.

@ghettomike Is attaching the transmission cooling lines not something i can do myself?
    i didnt attach mine for a couple reasons, i needed to have my tranny filled and i was getting a pan and filter service done on it, also there is a tool that is needed to attach the line and i didnt have it. i had it towed to the dealer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    i didnt attach mine for a couple reasons, i needed to have my tranny filled and i was getting a pan and filter service done on it, also there is a tool that is needed to attach the line and i didnt have it. i had it towed to the dealer for it.
    Did it cost you much to get the lines connected?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.