Service Theft System/Traction Control/Key Stuck.....PLEASE HELP!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Service Theft System/Traction Control/Key Stuck.....PLEASE HELP!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2005 CTS that starting acting up on me last Thursday. I went to turn it off and ...
    jallwine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Service Theft System/Traction Control/Key Stuck.....PLEASE HELP!!

I have a 2005 CTS that starting acting up on me last Thursday. I went to turn it off and the key would not release. The battery ended up going dead by the time we figured out how to release it from under the steering column. I had got the "Service Theft System" on the DIC and also notice the Traction Control was lit up. After recharging the battery it continues to display the Service Theft System, Traction Control is lit up, Fuel and Temperature gauges do not work and the DIC does not give me any information about MPG, etc etc. and the shift column does not display if its in gear or park. For the first day or so after turning it off (and releasing the key) it would not turn back on unless you disconnected the positive cable for a few minutes. So after reading a lot of posts I am led to believe its the ECM does this sound correct and if so where the hell is it??? I really need to get this fixed myself if possible. I just had to replace the timing chain a month ago and am FLAT broke!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

06beaumontcts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Service Theft System/Traction Control/Key Stuck.....PLEASE HELP!!

the same thing happen to me, it was the ecm take it to the dealer and get an estimate i think i paid 700 some of it was covered by the Cadillac

fullo06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 3.6L CTS w/sports package

The same thing was happening to me, but my car had been sitting for a week or so... what I did was disconnect the battery leave it for an hour or so, then try turning it on again..my car started up but the check engine light came on, but after driving her around for a while the light disappeared.

I had the same symptoms your car had: theft/service light was on, traction control was stuck on on, key wouldnt come out, and DIC wouldnt work except for the battery voltage and the time. Hope this helps..

Also check the voltage of the battery, mine came down to about 11.2 volts before I disconnected it

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

my battery went dead at my cottage this summer, i jumped it and drove fine for about 150km then stopped for a coffee. come back out and it went into theft lock when i tried to start it. i had to let it sit for about 30min (i think for the ecm to reset)... so i enjoyed my coffee and walked the cliff sides overlooking a bay.

GR-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

I too have been fighting the same problem for a while now with my 2003. The dealership didn't impress me technically and talked about just swapping parts (ECM, ignition switch, gear shift interlock thing-a-ma-jig, etc). Sounded expensive, and I started doing my own research. I've already put a new battery in. I read somewhere that the gear shifter takes input from the brake, and if that signal gets loss or interrupted (maybe a loose connection), then it loses where it's at, the ECM (which is mounted on the left side top of the engine with 2 large connections into it) gets confused, and then things start going crazy from there. This is just a theory, and I haven't proven it yet.

You can continue to drive as long as you don't put the shifter into Park. As soon as you put it in Park, it locks up and your stuck.

I just struggled with it again tonight, ended up disconnecting the battery and repeatedly starting/stopping until the gear shifter light illuminated and I was able to get the key out.

How do you get the key out from under the steering column? I can't find the release point?

airportwv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006 2002 SLS AN BMW R1100RT

Buy a ecm i had the same problem it cost me $ 1.300 for the dealer to fix it if u have the ecm your cost $ 400.00 its about 2 hrs to program it a lot cheaper than it cost me good luck

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

if you decide to buy i can get you a nice deal on parts
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Tou
    Tou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Cts

Quote Originally Posted by jallwine View Post
    I have a 2005 CTS that starting acting up on me last Thursday. I went to turn it off and the key would not release. The battery ended up going dead by the time we figured out how to release it from under the steering column. I had got the "Service Theft System" on the DIC and also notice the Traction Control was lit up. After recharging the battery it continues to display the Service Theft System, Traction Control is lit up, Fuel and Temperature gauges do not work and the DIC does not give me any information about MPG, etc etc. and the shift column does not display if its in gear or park. For the first day or so after turning it off (and releasing the key) it would not turn back on unless you disconnected the positive cable for a few minutes. So after reading a lot of posts I am led to believe its the ECM does this sound correct and if so where the hell is it??? I really need to get this fixed myself if possible. I just had to replace the timing chain a month ago and am FLAT broke!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have the same problem at the moment. Except all I did was disconnect the battery terminal. And now all of this happened. I can't rev the car past 4000 rpm. I can't get the car out of park, Key was stuck in ignition. It displayed Service Theft System, Traction Control lit up, and my fuel and temp gauges didn't work. Had to manually release the key out of the ignition. And now I can't figure out how to reset everything. Everything ran fine until I decided to take off the positive terminal of the battery.(Brand new battery)

Dmosher669 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

I too have these same symptoms, but I've had no issues with the key releaseing.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

dwsoto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I bought a 2005 Cts in Febuary 2014. It did fine during the cold months. Now that it is warmer, I am having issues with the Theft System/Traction Control lights coming on. The AC will work but it stops blowing cold air and the radio seems to mute itself for a few seconds and then return to normal. Any ideas as to what this may be. Had battery checked so far.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Good morning, Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct information. CF Staff

thegreatgazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts

Im having the same issue. I just ordered a replacement ECM. after asking a lot of questions and came up that the ECM is most likely the problem. I expect to have it Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know if it solved my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsoto View Post
    I bought a 2005 Cts in Febuary 2014. It did fine during the cold months. Now that it is warmer, I am having issues with the Theft System/Traction Control lights coming on. The AC will work but it stops blowing cold air and the radio seems to mute itself for a few seconds and then return to normal. Any ideas as to what this may be. Had battery checked so far.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Good morning, Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct information. CF Staff

dwsoto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Thanks!!! That will be great. I love the car but I almost afraid to drive it.

billlouis305 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts
    Please tell use if that was the issue be I'm having the same issue and where did you order the ems from and are you installing it on your own or going to the dealer

----------

I'm sorry ECM is what I was trying to see

thegreatgazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts

my repost
    Ok I got my ECM yesterday from www.acrautos.com. not to bad I ordered it last Tuesday so it took a week for them to program it and have it delivered to my house. I did ask them on the phone if I needed to do a passkey III relearn and he said yes and would include instructions on how to do it but he for got to put it in the box with the ECM. but I already had it printed out from this site http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2077-0011.pdf .
    So it took 5 minutes to remove the old one and bolt in the new one. then did the 30 minute passkey relearn and the car started right up with no problems.
    instructions to relearn I used.
    1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.
    2. Turn key to the “ON” position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on.
    3. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
    4. Turn key to the “OFF” position for 5 seconds.
    5. Turn key to the “ON” position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on.
    6. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
    7. Turn key to the “OFF” position for 5 seconds.
    8. Turn key to the “ON” position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on.
    9. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
    10. Turn key to the “OFF” position. The key transponder information will be learned on the next start cycle.
    11. Start the vehicle. If the vehicle starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If additional keys need to be relearned:
    12. Turn the key to the “OFF” position.
    13. Insert the next key to be learned. Turn the key to the “ON” position within 10 seconds of removing the previously used key.
    14. Wait for security light to turn off. It should happen fairly quickly. You may not notice the lamp, as the transponder value will be learned immediately
    15. Repeat steps 12 through 14 for any additional keys.

joejoe#2300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.
    2. Turn key to the &ldquo;ON&rdquo; position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on.
    3. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
    4. Turn key to the &ldquo;OFF&rdquo; position for 5 seconds.
    5. Turn key to the &ldquo;ON&rdquo; position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on.
    6. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
    7. Turn key to the &ldquo;OFF&rdquo; position for 5 seconds.
    8. Turn key to the &ldquo;ON&rdquo; position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on.
    9. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
    10. Turn key to the &ldquo;OFF&rdquo; position. The key transponder information will be learned on the next start cycle.
    11. Start the vehicle. If the vehicle starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If additional keys need to be relearned:
    12. Turn the key to the &ldquo;OFF&rdquo; position.
    13. Insert the next key to be learned. Turn the key to the &ldquo;ON&rdquo; position within 10 seconds of removing the previously used key.
    14. Wait for security light to turn off. It should happen fairly quickly. You may not notice the lamp, as the transponder value will be learned immediately
    15. Repeat steps 12 through 14 for any additional keys.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.