Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I finally got my car to a transmission shop here in Killeen, TX aparently this guy who owns it ...
    elzilcho21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 'Pearl' the White Diamond 2005 CTS

Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was)

So I finally got my car to a transmission shop here in Killeen, TX aparently this guy who owns it has won trophies and shit for his work on Transmission so I trust his word. Regardless of the fact, My 2005 Pearl White baby had this problem with here where if you switch from Park to any other gear(R, N, D, 4,.....) You would here nothing but a metal on metal noise. Its only one time not constant, and it only happens when you shift. I took it in for an inspection and was told its my Shifter Bushing. Now we all know how Cadillac likes to sell there parts in bulk and its rather expensive. This part is actually only 60 bucks. Don't let them fool you and tell you its 600(I had a shop in North Carolina tell me I would have to replace my whole transmission). I'll try to get pics once the shop gives me the old part back so ya'll can know what the hell I'm talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Scudd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Cadillac CTS

Re: Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was)

So how much did they charge you to replace it...? I think we are having the same issue on our 04

sivic2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Same here. Could this be a DIY job? Mine clickity clanks

305cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by sivic2k View Post
    Same here. Could this be a DIY job? Mine clickity clanks
    The dealer replace mine under warranty already and honestly I have had the car for about 2 months now and am not happy with the shifting from park or any gear or the other way around. I don't think a Cadillac should be so rough shifting gears.

nvydis is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have this same problem! can you post a pic of the part and GM part#? thnx!

telephone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for posting that. My 2003 had the exact same issue. Took it to Midas and they agreed that it was the shifter bushing. Charged me about $60 for the part and $130 labor...better than I was expecting. All fixed now.

CT ESSENCE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nvydis View Post
    ....i have this same problem! can you post a pic of the part and GM part#? thnx!
    This info would be great. I'm having that same issue with my 03.

FYI, I called my local dealer and spoke to a gentleman in parts dept and asked him about the shifter bushing. He stated that my 03 does not have a "shifter bushing" that can be replaced. He searched his computer and told me that the 03 CTS has a "shifter linkage" that has to be replaced in order to resolve the noisy metal sound that occurs when the shifter is manually engaged.

The Shifter Linkage GM part # is 25757505 and can be purchased for about $56. The subject Linkage can be seen in the attached schematic as number 13....

Also, here's a link that has a lot of great schematics related to Caddy CTS Automatic and Manual trannys, ... and a lot of other goodies ....

http://compnine.com/index.php?t=1&ye...47577586&uid=1
    Attached Images

Caddy_Daddy2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Thanks a bunch you guys. Just found this site while googling and wondered how I have owned my car without knowing about your existence. Most of my questions about this issue have already been answered thanks to all the Caddy owners out there who have posted questions and answers about all the issues going on with this Shift linkage Bushing. Thanks again!!!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yup, that's the whole idea here... and
    to the forum

start a thread in the lounge sub-forum introducing yourself
    (with photos ... definitely post photos)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

When my linkage needed to be replaced, Rippy (Chris) had it in stock and sold it to me at a great price and it was delivered in just a few days..!

THANKS Again, Chris.!

soorad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts

I have an 04 CTS with the 3.6, 77k miles, five speed auto. Shifter knob feels sloppy and sounds "funny" when engaging any gear.
    Took it to my local shop, (not a dealership) where they initially told me the "linkage" and "bushing" needed to be replaced. They quoted me $225, P&L. Before I even got to the shop, they called back and said that the parts they quoted where not available separately, but that the whole shifter "assembly" had to be purchased. Now we are at $300 for parts alone. I find it hard to believe that the shifter knob, lever, etc need anything at all. I believe maybe the rod and bushings both sides at most?
    Can anyone provide me with the TRUTH about this repair, and explain what all parts are included in this $300 package of parts?
    Any help would be much appreciated, I really don't have yet ANOTHER $500 for repairs on this car just now. (Already replaced two starters, brake calipers, etc etc etc in the six MONTHS I have owned this car, sigh).
    THANKS!

the highlighted hinge/bushing section on the linkage (#13) is usually what wears out on these...

some shift 'control' assemblies (#8) do wear out and that would be a much more expensive repair due to parts cost at least

but i see a second opinion in your near future
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

soorad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts

So what should I be getting for my 300$ worth of parts?

that's not the right question...

$300 could buy a lot of stuff, but what you should be concerned about is actually fixing the problem

#13 isn't expensive at all... sounds like they want to replace both #8 and #13

you need to know what part(s) have failed
    then how much are they going to charge you for that part (and the labor to install)
    then you can compare

again i suggest a second opinion
    Ikera and scooter05 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.