Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was) - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept Using the parking break on hills is a good idea even if your car is in ...
    TunixComplex is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 5M

Re: Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was)

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Using the parking break on hills is a good idea even if your car is in perfect condition.

I always always put my manual in 1st when I park.

funny thing, my e-brake kind of sucks if I am facing downhill the e-brake is pretty much useless but if I am facing uphill it feels strong and tight. Still cant figure out how to adjust that thing....

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Always use the parking brake !!! I can't believe you guys that don't. Park the car and set the parking brake while you have your foot on the regular brakes, shift into park (or 1st gear for clutches) and release the main brakes. There is no other recommended way.

Tunix, the proceedure for adjusting the parking brake is in the owners book. You push the parking brake down and release it three times and it adjusts. If its way easy now, the pedal will stop sooner each time. You have to park the car someway and whatever first. Look in the book.

If it won't adjust, its a simple shoe and drum in the rear. Change the shoes.

6snaps is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac cts 3.6

I dont see how you could out in the bushing. Isnt the linkage welded together? anyone know if you can just add the bushing?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as discussed earlier in the thread the bushing at the hinge point in the shift linkage is not replaceable
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

6snaps is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac cts 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    as discussed earlier in the thread the bushing at the hinge point in the shift linkage is not replaceable
    I meant to reply directly to the person who said they just changed the bushing but thank you for replying. Any advice on removing the linkage from the transmission, I removed the bolt but the linkage is really stuck on there.

wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

i replaced my shifter link bushing im still getting a click when i put it into gear..??

neonzion is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Cadillac CTS

bobbyb123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I have the same problem. Only the bad bushing is where the shifter connects to the rod... and it's RIVITED! So there's no way of replacing it. For the sake of a 50 cent rubber bushing It looks like I'll have to replace the entire shifter unit. P&L over $500.00 for a 50 cent bushing. Any one want to buy a Cadillac CTS with 35,000 miles on it?

staggcb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Hi, my 2005 STS is making this same metal clinking noise when I move the shifter from Park through to Drive, and someone wrote that it was easy to repair...to the person that wrote about the location and type of wrenches it requires - my question is: how easy is it to reach the parts that need to be replaced?

ShyrockMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have known my linkage has been in need of replacement for a while now, but have left it go. However I was wondering If the linkage being outta whack could make the neutral safety relay switch malfunction causing no starts. At first I would have to come out and shift from P to 2 and back to P, now I have had to open up the shifter boot and #3 to mess with #6 and the visible linage of #8. Is this as simple as replacing the NSRS or does it even have a Neutral Safety Relay Switch?

Is this something I could handle myself without any special tools? Does Replacing the linkage require lowering of the transmission? Removing the center console completely?

robio361 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS automatic

I did a write up a while ago on how I fixed my shifter bushings because I couldn't find anything on the forum. Here it is if this helps anyone.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-metal.html

ShyrockMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you Robio!! I just got done with your advice on the bushings and it shifts like a dream!!!

Now I just hope this cures my no start issue in the mornings..

Chuppy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

On a 2004 CTS, Right after I replaced item #13 above's bushing, My bushing on item #8 went bad. Is there a aftermarket bushing that I can install. The part for item #8 above is around $300.00 (part only).

Any help in this would br greatly appreciated..

Dmitry91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi, I need some help, Who knows how many cadillac cts I 3.2 MT was released?

tray714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

you guys must live in Jesup, Ga.! The dealer here told me the same story. They said that I have to buy the entire shifter and it cost 300+. They are keeping it overnight exhausting all avenues trying to find the bushing that I need without buying the entire shifter. This is the kicker. They have already repaired this bushing one time about 1.5 years ago. I told the service guy that and he said that they must have discontinued the part that I was referring to!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.