Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ok cool, i might not get to it till later in the week or the following, im gonna try to ...
    rgvcts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 CTS Luxury Sport

Re: Shifter Bushing(For those of you who are clueless like I was)

ok cool, i might not get to it till later in the week or the following, im gonna try to replace my turn signal switch first. but ill post pics and let you all know if replacing this part solved my prob...

Ivan1228 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts

It looks by reading that i had the same problem but i think they are over charging yall guys...the bushing i bought it at a local tranny shop for $1 no bs and my friend has a mechanic shop charged me $5....just giving yall a heads.up

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by CT ESSENCE View Post
    FYI, I called my local dealer and spoke to a gentleman in parts dept and asked him about the shifter bushing. He stated that my 03 does not have a "shifter bushing" that can be replaced. He searched his computer and told me that the 03 CTS has a "shifter linkage" that has to be replaced in order to resolve the noisy metal sound that occurs when the shifter is manually engaged.

The Shifter Linkage GM part # is 25757505 and can be purchased for about $56. The subject Linkage can be seen in the attached schematic as number 13....

Also, here's a link that has a lot of great schematics related to Caddy CTS Automatic and Manual trannys, ... and a lot of other goodies ....

http://compnine.com/index.php?t=1&ye...47577586&uid=1
    FYI, compnine is no more.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

What a shame. "This type of announcement is not easy to make, but effective immediately..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    FYI, compnine is no more.

Is part number 6 the shifter control solenoid ? The link here is dead but the picture is in Post number 8 on page one.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Yes

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Flavoade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003, Pontiac Trans Am S.E. 1977

This is a recurring issue on my vehicle. I have had my shift linkage replaced twice and now I am in line for number three. My shift linkage bushing was lost(Fell off) and GM does not sell the bushing individually so, the shop says they have to replace the linkage. The shop does not carry the part, it has to be ordered and according to Louisiana law I have to leave the vehicle with them, so that they can order the part. They cannot order the part unless they have the vehicle because it deals with the transmission.

I have not tried to tape a rubber bushing onto the linkage, or any DIY methods because I am tired of crawling under the vehicle, and spending money on it. I wasted $150 dollars fixing the exhaust bracket, only to have it break again because the engine mounts were worn out, and the exhaust was shaking the car apart.

If the shifter has any play, or makes any metallic sounds while shifting into gears, do not bother with any other part except the linkage. Either the linkage is worn out or it needs to be tightened/adjusted.
    RCVW likes this.

wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

Quote Originally Posted by elzilcho21 View Post
    So I finally got my car to a transmission shop here in Killeen, TX aparently this guy who owns it has won trophies and shit for his work on Transmission so I trust his word. Regardless of the fact, My 2005 Pearl White baby had this problem with here where if you switch from Park to any other gear(R, N, D, 4,.....) You would here nothing but a metal on metal noise. Its only one time not constant, and it only happens when you shift. I took it in for an inspection and was told its my Shifter Bushing. Now we all know how Cadillac likes to sell there parts in bulk and its rather expensive. This part is actually only 60 bucks. Don't let them fool you and tell you its 600(I had a shop in North Carolina tell me I would have to replace my whole transmission). I'll try to get pics once the shop gives me the old part back so ya'll can know what the hell I'm talking about.
    do u get the click sound inside the car or outside from the trans?

delrodd1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

Looks like I'm the next in line with this shifter linkage issue. I'm going to look into doing it myself. Will I be able to get to it by driving the car up a couple ramps? If so, I'll be hitting RippyPartsDept for a quote. Thanks ahead of time!

I started to think I may have a major transmission issue....I might still have one...need to look into the Forums for rough shifting. I have 130K+ on my CTS....time for a tranny fluid flush/exchange? What else could cause the rough shifting? Even when decelerating sometimes. Also, when letting off the accelerator for a second or 2, then back on, it seems it delays to accelerate with a thud(nguh) noise...Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

D

trans fluid should be replaced at 100k (i think - check your owners manual)

also check the front upper (passenger side?) diff mount
    it often wears and makes a clunking noise when you shift
    Tom's Caddy likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Every 50,000 miles if its operated under severe conditions.

delrodd1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

Thanks, I will look into that. Can you quote me for the linkage part? Let me know if you need my VIN.

the linkage (#13) is currently
    #25757504 - $61.50 (list price) - $43.85 (your price)

this is for 2005 M82 CTS shift linkages by the way

2006-2007 is a different part (different transmission i think)

wantboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L:HID HEADLIGHT/FOGS:LED INTERIOR/PLATE/TRIANGLE:

How do u get to this bushing?

Quote Originally Posted by delrodd1 View Post
    What else could cause the rough shifting? Even when decelerating sometimes. Also, when letting off the accelerator for a second or 2, then back on, it seems it delays to accelerate with a thud(nguh) noise.
    I think in your case its solely the differential support bushing. That explains all your clunks [the propellor shaft also clunks, when the couplers (guibo) get loose or disintegrate] and why your linkage bushing has failed (the metallic sound). When you change the differential support bushing, tighten the 12 nuts on the couplers for good measure. If they're torn, of course, replace the guibo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.