Oil consumption, and possible PCV valve addition???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Oil consumption, and possible PCV valve addition??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; If the reason for these 3.6L engines using so much oil is due to them not having a PCV valve ...
    06 Rad Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Radiant Bronze CTS

Oil consumption, and possible PCV valve addition???

If the reason for these 3.6L engines using so much oil is due to them not having a PCV valve installed, why couldn't we install an aftermarket PCV valve inline? Would doing so damage the engine, or has someone already done this and I'm a day late and a dollar short? If anyone has done this with success please let me know how you installed it, and what parts you used.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Oil consumption, and possible PCV valve addition???

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, theories, or suggestions as to if this modification is possible? Please post any thoughts, or suggestions as to how you would process with this.

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

why do you think there is no pcv valve ? There are vacuum tubes from the TB to both valve covers.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

There are tubes, but truste me there are no valves. I know this because I've taking the upper intake off to replace the spark plugs. And no parts store including the dealer has a listing for PCV in the computers.

KOT

I see the tubes that run from the valve covers to the TB, but there isn't any PCV valves to keep the oil from getting sucked through those tubes like a straw. I am just trying to come up with a way to keep my car from using so much oil. Some have suggested switching from synthetic to conventional oil. What are you thoughts on that? I have heard of some people having the rings, valve seals, and sometimes even the heads replaced due to the amount of oil consumption. I am just out from under the factory warranty though, and doubt that Cadillac would cover this unless there was any recall/service bulletin? What do y'all recommend, because I do not know what to do?

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

there is somebody on here who was having the same issues, and added either Lucas Oil, or the Purple whatever oil and it helped them out. i cant really relate, cause i drive the beast of the CTS, of course im referring about the 3.2L engine...i dont know if you searched on oil consumption in here, but you will see what i am talking about as far as what has helped some people...

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    there is somebody on here who was having the same issues, and added either Lucas Oil, or the Purple whatever oil and it helped them out. i cant really relate, cause i drive the beast of the CTS, of course im referring about the 3.2L engine...i dont know if you searched on oil consumption in here, but you will see what i am talking about as far as what has helped some people...
    Still drugged up I see. Talking about the 3.2 being the beast. Ha Ha Ha

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post

KOT
    you know deep down inside the 3.2L engine was the best engine made for the CTS

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hi,

I'm on my first oil change for this 05 w/ a 3.6 engine. I've only owned it about 3 months. Personally I think it's the high rev's on the highway that's burning up this synthetic oil. I just put in a full quart after 3000 miles. But I think your on to something with the PCV not being in there.

TX Best 90 has anyone had any success w/ Amsoil using less oil consumption?

Keep a close eye on your oil and good luck with your ride.

Joe

if you read through those threads i was referring to in my previous post, you will see which one's they preferred...i believe Amsoil was one of the products tried

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post

KOT
    quote by tx
    you know deep down inside the 3.2L engine was the best engine made for the CTS

3.2 may not have the most stock power but its not the least, and our only engine problem is our pcv system freezes causing the valve covers to leak..currently mine is but i have the gasket...its in the pile of parts for bout 7 months now lol....but they fixed that issue with a service bulletin...no oil consumption issues, no timing chain issues.
    getting more and more glad the dealer turned down my offer on that 04 3.6..except i would have bought extended warranty and would still be covered.

SintheD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

I am thinking this is the problem for the oil consumption. I had a closer look, there definitely IS NO VALVE present - its a straight tube right from the top of the driver side valve cover right into what I will call the 2nd airbox (the plastic box between the air filter airbox and the throttle body). I REMOVED this 2nd airbox and there was about 3/4-1" of oil pooled on the bottom. The point at which the vent tube enters this 2nd airbox shows active and fresh oil stains as the oil must be consistently flowing through the ventilation system.

What possible reason could one have in designing an engine with NO PCV valve to retard large oil droplets from flowing through the tube right in the plastic air box between the air filter and throttle body? Makes you think, right?

I mean, a running engine is firing oil droplets randomly in every direction (primarily in the camshaft area in this case) - the purpose of this pvc valve is to prevent these droplets from entering the vent tube so they can fall back to the bottom of the cylinder head and get reclaimed by the lube system.

The major symptom of a stuck open PCV valve is over consumption of oil... who would stand to gain from all the CTS's out there consuming more than your average amount of oil? Who could it be? Maybe it's the people that have their name printed on your oil cap... Mobile 1? Is it possible that they have had some input on the PCV system (or lack thereof) and it's design? I AM NO CONSPIRACY THEORIST, but I demand to see reasoning behind this pcv design....

I would LOVE to hear a SOLID design summary and see some concrete engieering principles upon which the deisgn for the pcv was conceived. In my estimation - PISS POOR design.

I mean 1 qt every 1000 miles is disgusting - the EPA would go ballistic if they realized how extensive the issue is....

I plan to begin looking at some sort of pcv valve to prevent the oil loss issue. If anyone can tell me why some sort of valve to arrest the flow of oil droplets from the head cover right back in the intake was NOT needed - I would LOVE to hear it as it is entirely unapparent to me.

S in the D
    carrnuttdave and carrnuttdave like this.

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Isn't the pcv valve located under the valve cover (driver side) ?

My car was using 1 qt per 12000 kms when I bought it. After reaching 120 000 kms up to 208 000 kms, it used 1 qt per 3500-4000 kms. I changed the 3 timing chains and tensioners and I'm back to 1 qt per 12 000 kms with 245 000 kms on the car.

Also, I don't think the problem is the pcv valve. GM is changing a lot of piston rings due to bad design and valve seal for the same reason.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Hello Men, Happy Holidays

I just had my second oil change on my 05 3.6 w/ 7000 miles on it. I used 2 quarts of Mobile 1 in between changes. Its a pain in the ass keeping up with this consumption. I have 58k on this car and I feel this is totally unacceptable with todays technology. I'm 62 (yes I'm old) and until I bought this CTS I haven't really kept up with all the changes since the 80's. I do remember when working on my 327 and 396 chevys years ago that the PCV valve was pretty important. If my memory serves me it was in between the right valve cover and the the air cleaner. We used to test them by pulling them off the hose and giving them a shake to see if the check rattled. If they gummed up we rinsed them in gas and we were good to go. I also recall them operating by changes in vacuum pressure opening and closing during acceleration and deceleration. I also remember seeing oil in the bottom of the air filter, but that was normal. Chevys used to use an O'ring that sat in a groove near the top of the valve. Some cars like Ford and Chrysler used what we called an umbrella or cup. Both designs basically deflected the oil away from the guide so it wouldn't end up in the cylinder. If you could afford to do it, the preferred method was to have the valve guides cut to accept a nylon type seal that worked very well. What I'm getting at is this. Today we have better seals (I hope) BUT we have 4 valves instead of two ( double the trouble) and the high revs are making these valves and guides work harder. I want to believe that the GM engineers have studied this thoroughly and would have fixed this problem by now. For now I will keep putting oil in and maybe I will go to a good old push rod engine again someday. Are CTS V's push rod??

Just my two cents from an old fart

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Hey,

I have the same engine and the oild consumption is starting to happen more often then 1qt per 1000 miles. I did some searching and found a TSB that may help answer the question. A tech stated that replacing piston rings and valve guide seals may fix the issue. Is there a Install DIY/MOD for the PCV in the engine to help?

TSB Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-011E

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.