GM XM Tuner & Wiring Harness Part #s? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, GM XM Tuner & Wiring Harness Part #s? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; your VIN number says you have XM (RPO UBS) there's the picture of the XM module (#4 in the illustration) ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: GM XM Tuner & Wiring Harness Part #s?

your VIN number says you have XM (RPO UBS)

there's the picture of the XM module (#4 in the illustration)
    #6 is the body harness that goes all throughout the body to various modules (radio is one of them)
    now that i look a bit closer at the picture it seems like the XM module is not on the underside, but the top side of the shelf

you'll have to remove the trim panel on top of the rear shelf
    i can email you pdf instructions if you need them
    it's getting late, i'm going to bed - shoot me an email (address is in my signature) or PM me your email address and i'll shoot over those instructions on removing the trim
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

libertyforall1776 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

I know what USA-Spec says, and I am trying to see if the requisite parts can be added in, then this should work -- that is the whole point. ;-) First I have to identify the the 2nd of two parts -- the GM XM wiring harness that goes from the XM Tuner module to the GM radio.

100% clear, there is no XM Tuner module under the decklid.

We removed the radio out of curiosity what connectors were present, and also since USA-Spec's instructions suck -- cannot always trust their accuracy. In example, at one point USA Spec mentioned installing their device in the trunk on an '01 Camaro CD Changer wiring, however it is not necessary and you just plug it into the CD-Changer port on the GM radio instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    so page 10 (fig 1) on their instructions (found here: http://usaspec.com/userfiles/editor/...al_booklet.pdf )
    it doesn't seem like you have to even remove your radio (since the XM receiver is under the back shelf)
    the step by step does say 'remove radio OR locate xm receiver' - note the OR

i hate to say this again, but are you sure you don't have an xm module under the back shelf?

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

All I have to say is

And yes, the XM radio is on the rear deck on the top side. Just like rippy said, you have to remove the rear deck cover to gain access to it. Remove the "wing sails" on either side, the piece that the seat belt goes through. There is a 8mm bolt behind the "Air Bag" badge. Don't worry about dropping the bolt, it will safely drop into the "wing sail" plastic piece. Then there are 4 10 mm nuts that hold the top of the rear seat in, access them from the trunk. Pull the top of the rear seat forward to remove the plastic push pins, you may throw them out afterwards. To remove the rear deck cover, just pull forward. It may be in there real tight, but once it's loose. Be careful with angling it out, as you may snag on the rear window defroster.

KOT

Awesome this is helpful. I could not locate that #6 cable anywhere. The only cables nearby were on the passenger side going into an Alps module which looked like an amp for the sub, possibly. That second cable (#5) also is not present which goes into the XM Tuner and upto the antenna... #9 was not present either, so I would need that one.

It seems like the XM equipped cars possibly have a DIFFERENT body harness than non-XM equipped cars? Unless there is some adapter cable that plugs into some other place I cannot figure out. i.e. where does #6 go next?

there's the picture of the XM module (#4 in the illustration)
    #6 is the body harness that goes all throughout the body to various modules (radio is one of them)
    now that i look a bit closer at the picture it seems like the XM module is not on the underside, but the top side of the shelf

you'll have to remove the trim panel on top of the rear shelf
    i can email you pdf instructions if you need them
    it's getting late, i'm going to bed - shoot me an email (address is in my signature) or PM me your email address and i'll shoot over those instructions on removing the trim

All that trim was removed today, the decklid and wing sails -- the XM Tuner is *NOT* there. No joke.
    I did all the steps you are typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    All I have to say is

And yes, the XM radio is on the rear deck on the top side. Just like rippy said, you have to remove the rear deck cover to gain access to it. Remove the "wing sails" on either side, the piece that the seat belt goes through. There is a 8mm bolt behind the "Air Bag" badge. Don't worry about dropping the bolt, it will safely drop into the "wing sail" plastic piece. Then there are 4 10 mm nuts that hold the top of the rear seat in, access them from the trunk. Pull the top of the rear seat forward to remove the plastic push pins, you may throw them out afterwards. To remove the rear deck cover, just pull forward. It may be in there real tight, but once it's loose. Be careful with angling it out, as you may snag on the rear window defroster.

KOT

Is this an US spec car?

KOT

As far as I know -- it was purchased at GM Detroit, MI -- executive driven car. I would imagine the VIN would clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Is this an US spec car?

KOT

Can anyone post any photos showing the routing of the #6 body harness cable in the pic above and where it goes after connecting to their XM Tuner module? Thanks in advance.

If I can recall correctly. It follows the route the cable number 5 goes. However, it splits off from that route when it hits the passenger side.

It appears that you just need to tap into the wires, correct? Right now, you want to make it a plug and play. But you could always go behind the factory radio and tap into the wires there. You just need to know what wires are what, correct? If that is the case, can you tell me what wires you would need? I would then look them up for you.

KOT

^ I wonder if it somehow taps into the wiring and little Alps module in the similar location to where the XM Module goes, but on the passenger side? That module seems like an amp for the sub (Bose system) -- maybe there is a tap into that wiring there?

As for which wires I need, well that would be any that go back to the XM Tuner module -- I have not yet identified which ones those are...

The amp for Bose and non-Bose is located in the trunk on the driver's side wall. For easier access to the tail lamp housing, you need to remove it. That should give you an idea of where the amp is. Let me ask you this, does your roof have the antenna? Basically item number 1 in the picture? If so, then just follow the number 5 cable and see where that leads to.

While you are at it... Check my posting out on this thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2289535

You may find it very interesting as for what wires are what on the rear of the factory radio.

KOT

^ Yea, that's a good idea, there is a roof antenna for GPS NAV (not flat, it has a vertical fin too), but I'm not sure if it is different from the XM + GPS ones? Well that module on the passenger side deck lid is some audio module, as the center sub plugs into it (center of rear deck)... Wish I snapped a picture of it.

Actually, the antenna for the GPS is in the front dash. The antenna that is denoted as number 1 in the pic is for the XM radio. As for that audio module that you maybe talking about that is on the rear deck. That should be the XM radio. There should be two modules on the rear deck. One on each side, the driver's side is the xm, while the passenger side is the RIM. Rear Integration Module or something like that. I can tell you that my wires for the xm radio, wires to the deck and wires to the antenna does appear to plug into the sub because it goes towards it.

KOT

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

true, i was scrubbing the catalog with the filter off and was at an illustration for non-nav units

i was looking at this
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The module that is present is that Rear Integration Module on passenger side. Oddly both the diagrams rippypartsmaster posted do not show that module.

KOT: If you can post a picture of where the XM Tuner wiring plugs into, that might be helpful.

I am also a little worried that this non-nav unit wiring might be what's in this car. Even though this car has a GM NAV! *argh* What a mess to decipher. LOL

Also, why are there THREE separate connections into that rear roof antenna? I thought that was a little odd. Almost implies that the antenna is multipurpose?

Need to find a diagram showing more of #6 in the first diagram to see where that is leading...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.