Cadillac Owners Forum banner

COMMON ISSUE: Windshield wipers won't turn off

197K views 130 replies 78 participants last post by  stevemagee 
#1 ·
Hey all my damn windshield wipers wont turnoff unless i pull the motor fuse out of the fuse box anyone know why this might be so? heard it could be the pulse sensor? have a good feeling its not involved with the actual switch in the steering column! it fixed itself for a couple of days but is now back!

#2 ·
Re: 03 cts windshield wipers wont turn off!!

I have a feeling on this one a dealer diagnostic would be best.

#3 ·

I haven't seen one of these with a wiper issue to tell you the truth.
I can tell you that usually on GM cars and light trucks that the circuit board inside the motor cover is usually the culprit when things like this happen.
It is sealed inside the cover but it is out in the elements and things can make their way in there.
Once there is corrosion or moisture inside there is no telling what the wiper system will do.

I would also advise that you have someone verify that there are no shorts in the wiring that could cause improper inputs to the motor connector. After that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it needs a new circuit board. Sometimes you have to buy the motor to get the board.
As I said, I have never heard of a CTS wiper complaint like this.

#5 ·

koz, I haven't looked.
Let me take a quick peek at the manual in a while and I'll get back to you.
Usually the motor stops and runs backwards, a small cam on the motor catches a tab and makes the blades "park" but I am not so sure CTS uses this setup.

#8 · (Edited)
Re: wipers just stay on

I just had this issue fixed yesterday. I purchased a complete wiper motor set (which included the motor, transmission & motor cover) for $75 on ebay. Although i didnt do it myself (i observed), the installation was very simple. My mechanic only charged me $20 for the job!

Check out ebay item # 270428054574

That's the exact item i purchased from the same seller so you should be good. Just send them an e-mail first to confirm that the motor comes with everything else.

#12 ·
Re: Wiper motor has own mind 2004 CTS

It's an easy install too. I did this last summer and haven't had any probelms since.
You got a step by step for install? I wrote up a how to for the cerpentine belt a couple months ago. I hope that helps folks understand how easy it really is.

This problem has been comming up alot lately and those of us with this issue could use some help... the ebay price is right! Now if i could only be sure i can install that thing myself.;)

#15 ·

Sorry brah i dont have the step by step but i'll try to explain. I'm not much of a handy man :(

The wiper motor is located right beneath the the driver's side windshield. If i recall correctly, you'll have to remove one of the pieces of rubber around there to get to it (it's a tight fit) once you get to it you just have to take out a couple of bolts and you can pull it out and bolt the new one in.

Not sure how much that'll help but give it a shot. As long as you have something to remove the bolts you should be able to do this in no time.

I know a few people here have done this here so maybe someone can chime in and articulate this procedure in more detail than what i just posted????

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)

I installed the motor/transmission that I got from ebay today and it solved my problem. I will try to get some photos up pretty soon. Believe me, it is a very simple swap.

- You first remove the wiper arms. There is a black cap on each wiper that comes off to reveal a 15mm nut, pretty sure that is the right size. Pop both sides off.
- You then have to remove the black cowl cover that goes across the top of the firewall.
- I started by just trying to do the drivers side, but the cover is in 2 pieces and it made things easier to get the whole thing off. If you have done the cabin filter swap, then you know how to get the passenger side off. There are 4 phillips-head screws that hold that half on.
- The drivers side is held on by 1 10mm nut. The nut is actually on the front fender, just underneath the top lip of the fender.
- Once you get that cover off, everything is pretty simple. 2 10mm nuts hold the unit in and takes 2 minutes to swap.
- Replace the cowl cover, snap the wiper arms back on, tighten the nuts (if you have an OEM windshield, there should be orange marks on it that show you how to position the wipers before you tighten the nuts) and you are good to go.

If you haven't done the cabin filter, do it at the same time. Hope this helps.

#60 ·

I installed the motor/transmission that I got from ebay today and it solved my problem. I will try to get some photos up pretty soon. Believe me, it is a very simple swap. You first remove the wiper arms. There is a black cap on each wiper that comes off to reveal a 15mm nut, pretty sure that is the right size. Pop both sides off. You then have to remove the "black cover" that goes across the firewall. I started by just trying to do the drivers side, but the cover is in 2 pieces and it made things easier to get the whole thing off. If you have done the cabin filter swap, then you know how to get the passenger side off. There are 4 phillips-head screws that hold that half on. The drivers side is held on by 1 10mm nut.
The nut is actually on the front fender, just underneath the top lip of the fender. Once you get that cover off, everything is pretty simple. 2 10mm nuts hold the unit in and takes 2 minutes to swap. Replace the "black cover", snap the wiper arms back on, tighten the nuts and you are good to go. If you haven't done the cabin filter, do it at the same time. Hope this helps

Thanks! This was a ton of help!

#21 ·

Usually if a wiper motor won't stop or if it stops in random positions the motor itself is bad.
That is easier to say these days because the module is integrated into the motor and the only external sources of trouble are power, ground, and the switch itself.
Since modern wiper switches carry no load to speak of they rarely fail. I can probably count on one hand the number I have replaced.

The wiper motor should have a "park" switch in it, but as koz asked a while back, CTS does not reverse to park, it just stops in the park position.

The wiper motors are farily easy to replace on CTS.

#22 ·
Windshield Wipers won't turn off

For some reason today the wipers on my 2006 CTS decided that they would turn on even in the off position. In off it is like they are in intermittent mode. It's been super hot here and I wonder if the contacts are shorting. Just wondering if its the column switch or if changing the relay (if there is one) might be a cheaper first step.

Craig

#24 ·
Re: Windshield Wipers won't turn off

I had this problem and it was the wiper motor. A vendor on ebay (fparts) sold wiper motors with the transmission linkage from salvaged cts' for $40. I bought one of those and it solved my problem. I just searched for them on ebay and now they don't have anymore. But that is definitely the part you need and it's a pretty simple DIY.