Sunroof Drain Location?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By br3nt
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Sunroof Drain Location? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; OK i have solved my leaky sunroof problem to the best of my ability and now my only question is ...
    MaxFloss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 EXT

Sunroof Drain Location?

OK i have solved my leaky sunroof problem to the best of my ability and now my only question is where are the drains located for the front and the rear? How do i go about testing them and cleaning them if need be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ziggie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Re: Sunroof Drain Location?

The frt draines comes out at each lower frt-door hinge....... hose some water around the rear of sun-roof and i'd assume it's at the rear door hinges.

03cts86monte is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS black on 20" Falken aviators, 1986 Monte Carlo.

they come out in the wheel wells, had the same problem with mine. the tube was clogged water would drain. the back tubes lead from the back of the sunroof try through the back pillar down into the wheel well. if you look in the wheel well you see a small black hole. i sprayed some watter in the sunroof tray then took and air hose and blew the water through

tarmacjerry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

are you able to take a pic of the front drain exits?

br3nt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts 3.2L v6

The drains for the front two stains on a 2003 Cadillac cts 2.3lv6 are located, starting from the top inside the front lip of the sunroof. Tgey run down the pillars of the front windsheild down the front side of the middle of the front doors in between the top and bottom hinges ( it is not located at the bottom). There is a circle plastic gromit about 3 inches in diameter that holds the plastic tube secure in the wall of the car. Sometimes you can see it easier if you open the doors as far as they will go. Then push slightly more and youll be able to see the entrance/exit of the tube. You cabt miss it.its the onpy black circular gromit in between the door and the car in the front side.

The back two sunroof drains are very hard to pinpoint if you tey to locate them at the top of the sunroof. Simply because the sunroof is in the way. I assure you though, they are there. They run back down across theback of the headliner to the back pillars then run strait back through the car panals to the trunk. To see the entrance and exit holes you must unscrew the knobs in the trunk that hold the side liner, the back plastic protective plate and the spare tire cover. All this can be done by hand. Then vary carefully remove the spare tire cover then the back plastic piece the remove the liner from each sideyou might be able to just pull the liner back to the center of the trunk without removing it completly. As soon as you open this liner you will see the black hose for the drain coming from bwhind the cars exterior panal. *not alot of times the small sticker that holds the hose falls off the side of the wall and allows the hose to droop. Which further complicates the draining process. Its a good idea to find a way to perminatly hold this hose back up where it wont come in contact with pinch-points again. At the end of the hose there is a l shaped plastic hose that plugs into the hose that leads from the sunroof. This is plugged into a circular gromit similar to the one I mentioned for the front drains. Alot of times the l ahaped peice isnt pushed all the way through the gromit to the wheel well causeing the tube to either block up or leak into the trunk compartment. Simply pull the whole robber gromit out of the hole and gently push the l shaped peice through the hole until it sort of click into place. Then stuff the gromiy back into the hole where it belongs. Do this for both sides. ( if the hoses were half way through as I said. Its a good idia to first remove the l shaped piece from the hose and make sure it is clean of anything that could have blocked up. And alot make sure the hoses are clear leading up to the sunroof. Using either weedwacker line or an air hose. After that reconnect evertging and then test by letting the drains do their magic by feeding some water at the top of the sunroof.
    tarmacjerry and tarmacjerry like this.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Are we driving the same cars? Im pretty sure the sunroof drains into the rear passenger foot area. Or is that a different factory installed leak?

My 03 CTS has the rear sunroof drains going out at the rear wheel inner panels, someone has posted diagram of the tubes and where they go here somewhere but can't find it right now.

Yeah that only happens when the water fills inside the sunroof so much that it over flows in the roof ares where the sunroof is installed the finds the least path of resistance which happens to be right down the line to the pillars and leaks through some holes down the pillar the fills under the seat then leaks down to the carpet.. if you see water in the back seat foot area most likely if you pop the back seat cushion up you will see water under there as well.

----------

I know they are exactly where I have described because I just had tgis happen to me on my car! Trust me! This is where the hoses/ tubes are located and installed! I will try to post pictures of actuall car soon.

----------

You are right. The drain does go to the rear wheel inner panels.. you can easily see the tube if you take the steps I provided and open the trunk panels. *note the wheel wells are right next to the trunk area. Your describing the same location I described

And also this !!!
    My right rear wet carpet issue was because of the "Door" drain holes stopping up Because when you close the doors "Sometimes" the door sealer crunches up and blocks the drain holes ---- hence, water fills up inside the door and leaks into the interior floor area (also under the rear seat).

It almost looks like this in the rear where it exits into the wheel well.. its slighly different. But not much. 2011-03-14_195130_sun_roof_drain..jpeg2011-03-14_195130_sun_roof_drain..jpeg

This is the trunk.. if your having trouble making out the picture.. * all panels removed in this picture as well..

----------

Yes your right ziggie. That would be my first step to anyone before taking the steps provided here. In my case. It was all coming from the sunroof..

----------

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/882...roof-drainight
    you also want to take a look at what this guy said on this post.

----------

Posted by this guy eill1968
    Disregard the other coment about the other car

Is it the plastic tube that looks like an accordion? I assumed this is the wiring that operating the power windows and doors. I've already found the drains where it begins in the sunroof. I want to send weed wacker wire up from the bottom before I attempt to remove the headliner.

Thanks br3nt your description helped out a ton. After some more searching I finally found the drains. I ran some weed wacker line up from the bottom. I had some gunk clogging up the exit of the drain. The smell that came out along with the water was rancid! I ran some hot water with a very small amount of bleach to give it a thorough cleaning. It's flowing like it's 10am after 2 cups of coffee.

Now does anyone have any suggestion on removing water stains from the headliner???

Oh yes matter a fact I do! I had to remove my water stains as well. Go to your local store and pick up a bottle of woollite (i got the concentrated one) in the laundry detergent isle. Then get a spray bottle, put 1 part woolite and 3 parts water into the bottle & mix it up. Get two rags, one for the wet and one for drying it up. Ok so first spray the effected area untill you cover it completly (dont be afraid to spray generously.) Ok now take one rag and gently start to rub the effected area untill u see it kind of foam up a bit. This foam is what will clean the head liner. Then take your second rag and wipe the area to dry up the wetness. This should eliminate your water marks. The headliner on the cts is quite solid so you dont really have to worry about glue or anything like that coming off. If your having difficulty producing the foam im talking about. Just wet the rag a little before rubbing.
    Good luck and also try this on other spots. This stuff got my whole headliner clean like new!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.