How to change the Fuel Pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How to change the Fuel Pump in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; How can i replace the Fuel Pump and where are the location. Cadillac CTS 3.2 2003...
    hasenfelder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

How to change the Fuel Pump

How can i replace the Fuel Pump and where are the location.
    Cadillac CTS 3.2 2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Re: How to change the Fuel Pump

Do a search on it, it's by the right rear tire. Your have to releve the presure first.

BadAV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    Do a search on it, it's by the right rear tire. Your have to releve the presure first.
    I believe you are talking about the fuel filter, not the pump.

The fuel pump is in the gas tank. I haven't looked and don't know, but I doubt there is an access panel through the trunk or rear seat area that you can remove. That means you have to drop the gas tank, unhook wiring and hoses, remove the pump from the tank, and replace it.

I've done the job on my daughter's 2002 Ford Taurus. It's a PITA if you don't have a lift; I backed the car up on a set of ramps to gain some room to drop the tank. Run the tank almost empty if you can because it will be too heavy to handle if you don't. Once you drop the tank it's pretty basic from there; you should be able to figure out what needs to be done by looking at how it's attached to the top of the tank (it's with a "ring" that has tabs on it; you have to use a screwdriver and rubber mallet to drive the ring counter-clockwise to release it, then the pump can be removed from the tank). Needless to say, you have to be careful because you don't want sparks that might result in a fire. It took me 3-1/2 hours start to finish.

I didn't replace the whole pump assembly, only the pump, so I had to disassemble the pump assembly, replace the pump, and reassemble. It only cost me $45 for the pump on ebay; the cheapest pump assembly I found was $230. The stealership wanted $670 to do the job. I felt it was worth the PITA to save over $600. It's been in for over 2 years now and running fine; no more dying and leaving you stranded for a few hours until the pump cools off - it was weak and vapor locking if you shut the car off when it had been running for 1/2 hour and tried to restart it within a few minutes.

Good luck if you decide to do it yourself.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by BadAV View Post

I've done the job on my daughter's 2002 Ford Taurus. .
    i cant believe you let her drive that.....lol

we had a 94 wagon, 94 sedan, and now a 99 sedan with 32km on it... all junk

BadAV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    i cant believe you let her drive that.....lol

we had a 94 wagon, 94 sedan, and now a 99 sedan with 32km on it... all junk
    We bought it in 2007 with 8400 miles on it. It's an SEL with EVERY bell and whistle, including the DOHC 3.0. Monsoon stereo, adjustable pedals, sunroof, leather. I drove it for a while to figure out the fuel pump issue and liked it pretty well for a commuter car.

It's a dang nice car for a kid's first car. I had no car at all until I got ready for college and I had to buy it myself. We bought it to get her through college and until she can afford something that she wants. She turns 19 at the end of August and starts her freshman year of college just before that.

BlackCadillac91 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd

A 95 sable GS was my first car haha. But back on track with the pump, you can rent a liquid pump or siphon from autozone, use that to transfer the fuel to another car or different container before you work. Once the tank is empty or very close to it get it up on a lift or as high as friggin possible. The higher the better believe me, if you can stand perfectly upright that is a super mega bonus for this job. Once it's up you'll be able to figure it out, really simple, just alot of unbolting/screwing/plugging things. Be very mindful to get everything hooked back up perfectly when you re-install it too, sucks to get it all bolted in and then you realize you forgot to attach the fuel line lol. good luck and post pics if you can

evilphil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

is ur car still under warrenty

I find out. There is no way to change the fuel pump. Only You have to remove the complete tank. The pumpe sit in top of the Tank.
    But i used a other way. I used a cutter to make a hole into the stell plate. So, i can remove the fuel pump.

O.o You cut a hole in your CTS?!?!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Dear Lord what is it with people cutting holes in their car to change a fuel pump?

Yeah it is a pain on this car, but it isn't that bad.
    You just have to lower the front of the rear cradle to access the 2 bolts that hold the tank straps.
    Disconnect the lines, hoses, connections and drop the thing out.
    Remove the ring and swap the pump.
    Someone's going to blow themselves up doing this junk.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Dear Lord what is it with people cutting holes in their car to change a fuel pump?

Yeah it is a pain on this car, but it isn't that bad.
    You just have to lower the front of the rear cradle to access the 2 bolts that hold the tank straps.
    Disconnect the lines, hoses, connections and drop the thing out.
    Remove the ring and swap the pump.
    Someone's going to blow themselves up doing this junk.
    5* post. Seriously there isn't even a safe way to cut a hole in a car right above the tank. You get the wrong bit of vapors and its over.

Sorry, Sorry. But nobody want to do this job. The Cadillac CTS is were rare in Germany. You can not find a Cadillac mechanist. Now i have to buy only the pump. I have to pay 900$ for this part in Germany.
    Attached Images

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

I am sure this will be a lit cheaper. Even with customs.

http://iphone.ebay.com/Pages/ViewIte...347376&emvcc=0

If the link doesn't work, search for the item number. 140430347376

KOT

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Wow, you are fortunate to have not cut anything you shouldn't have.

I see some things you'll have to be sure you do not do during reassembly.

That crossover tube to the other sender must be attached and the small white piece on the end of the tube must be positioned in the groove on the top of the pump.
    Be careful.

roquevc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

How did you know where exactly to cut the hole??? i wouldnt mind this process, who will ever imagine theres a hole under the back seat???

Also i have cts 03 and the back seat metal does not look the same as yours... why?
    Quote Originally Posted by hasenfelder View Post
    I find out. There is no way to change the fuel pump. Only You have to remove the complete tank. The pumpe sit in top of the Tank.
    But i used a other way. I used a cutter to make a hole into the stell plate. So, i can remove the fuel pump.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.