Problem at the Gas Pump!!Car wont start on first Crank - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Problem at the Gas Pump!!Car wont start on first Crank in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Thanks so much to everyone on here. I'm BRAND NEW to this forum but have had my CTS for almost ...
    Saga_Forever is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Re: Problem at the Gas Pump!!Car wont start on first Crank

Thanks so much to everyone on here. I'm BRAND NEW to this forum but have had my CTS for almost 6 years... I really wish I had found this place sooner as i've spent TONS of money fixing stuff on this car....

Anyway, I am having the same issue where EVERY TIME I add gas (regardless of how much) the car will not start or it will start and immediately die...

The funny thing is, It happened yesterday after being parked for a while and I had not gotten gas...

In my case, this is not a Battery, Fuel pump or fuel filter issue.

I went to Capitol Cadillac, bought the Purge Solenoid ($66) and installed in like 10 mins max. I'll post and let everyone know if it works.

Ewall, should this be an immediate fix?

Thanks alot!

- Saga

Dominion is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 2.0T

Had same problem. Got the solenoid from parts store for about $35 and haven't had a prob since.

jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Man, I got robbed at the dealer. Just paid $370 for the same job. Sucks to not know more....

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jgclark View Post
    Man, I got robbed at the dealer. Just paid $370 for the same job. Sucks to not know more....
    Sorry to hear that.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Well, on the bright side, they gave me a free loaner of a brand-new 13 CTS, so I got to drive that for a few days... and oddly, after getting my '07 back, I can honestly say I prefer it. Aside from a slightly quieter interior and peppier engine, the 2nd gen just doesn't feel as well laid out as the 1st. Live and learn...

Saga_Forever is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

FYI changing the solenoid seemed to fix the issue. Got gas twice and no issues starting!! :-) only now I'm nervous every time I turn the key...

S1dewinder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Does anyone have a picture of where this solenoid is on the 3.6L engine? The picture originally referenced isn't working anymore. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I believe this is the device that eWill is talking about y'all. This is located on the passenger side near the fire wall. It has two hose connections and one electronic connection. This was taken from an 06 2.8 liter engine. The device that you two have, is of course totally different looking.

My question is ewill, it's it possible that they don't have it because they have the 3.2 liter engine. There fore they have an actual PVC system, where as the 2.8 and the 3.6 does not? I don't know if those two system are interlinked or not.

KOT

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

that is the passenger side towards the rear of of the engine with the engine cover removed...Google was my friend
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

S1dewinder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Thanks. I bought the wrong replacement part. The brownish colored unit in the picture is to be replaced, correct?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-solenoid.html

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post

that is the passenger side towards the rear of of the engine with the engine cover removed...Google was my friend

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Yes.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

rb0757 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

When you fill up its best to stop fueling after the fueling nozzle shuts off, don't top off the the tank that's where the problem comes in

katertots is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

I have this EXACT same problem. Everytime I go to the gas station it gives me an issue. It acts like its going to start and then shuts off. Today it did it again and I took it to my mechanic after I finally got it started (took 1 hour of me sitting at the gas station waiting for it to sit for a while), he hooked the computer and said well this shouldn't be keeping it from starting, but now after reading this it makes perfect sense. He reset the code, and it started right up, took it for a ride and said take it home, if the light comes on again bring it straight back over here and I will replace to solenoid. Could this be something else or does this sound identical to the problem everyone else is having?

Thank you for the answers guys!

Katie, AL

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Missed a few posts here but yes, this is a common issue.
    The purge solenoid controls removal of the fuel vapors from the canister from evaporation. These cars have ORVR or "on board vapor recovery" so all the air in the tank that is displaced by fuel is pushed through the canister. On a fill up this will really load up the canister and if this purge solenoid is leaking it will cause such a rich mixture that the car won't start for several cranks.
    It is usually accompanied by a CEL and a P0469 code "flow during non purge". The computer can see that the system is purging with the solenoid commanded closed.
    To check it I usually locate the solenoid and unplug it, remove the vehicle side hose fitting and check for vacuum. Unplugged it should snap shut, if there is vacuum it is leaking and needs replaced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.