Engine burning oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Engine burning oil in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I noticed that my 04 CTS, 3.6L is burning a lot of oil. In about 6000 KM I have lost ...
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

Engine burning oil

I noticed that my 04 CTS, 3.6L is burning a lot of oil. In about 6000 KM I have lost almost all my oil. I initially thought there was a leak by figured out that it was actually burning that much oil. Now I know the a certain amount of burned oil is normal but how can my car be burning almost 6 liters of oil in 6,000KM? Is there anything I can do to reduce this? Is there any complications that can come up because of this, bad CO2 sensor for example? The car runs smooth as hell and no noise, shaking or rattling. I have switched from 5w30 to 10w30 as per my mechanics recommendations stating that 10w30 will burn less then 5w30. my odometer is currently reading 142,000KM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Re: Engine burning oil

there's is no difference between the 5w30 and the 10w30 because both oil have the same weight when hot: w30.

Now my question is this: what oil brand do you use? the 3.6l in 2004 and 2005 requires an oil that meets gm requirement 4718m spec. (high temp because we don't have any engine oil cooler).

An oil that doesn't meet 4718m but is way better in protection and high temp is Castrol GC 0w30. This 30 weight is almost a 40 weight compared to a w30.

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Just because you don't see a pool of oil under the car should you assume the oil is being burned. It's possible that the oil is just seeping from the crank seal or the front cover seal and being blown back against the underside of the engine. Jack the car up pull down the plastic cover and look for any sign of oil being blown back over the oil pan etc.

This particular engine is known for the front cover seal failing over time.

Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan View Post
    I noticed that my 04 CTS, 3.6L is burning a lot of oil. In about 6000 KM I have lost almost all my oil. I initially thought there was a leak by figured out that it was actually burning that much oil. Now I know the a certain amount of burned oil is normal but how can my car be burning almost 6 liters of oil in 6,000KM? Is there anything I can do to reduce this? Is there any complications that can come up because of this, bad CO2 sensor for example? The car runs smooth as hell and no noise, shaking or rattling. I have switched from 5w30 to 10w30 as per my mechanics recommendations stating that 10w30 will burn less then 5w30. my odometer is currently reading 142,000KM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    there's is no difference between the 5w30 and the 10w30 because both oil have the same weight when hot: w30.

Now my question is this: what oil brand do you use? the 3.6l in 2004 and 2005 requires an oil that meets gm requirement 4718m spec. (high temp because we don't have any engine oil cooler).

An oil that doesn't meet 4718m but is way better in protection and high temp is Castrol GC 0w30. This 30 weight is almost a 40 weight compared to a w30.
    I'm using Mobil 1 which is what is says on my oil cap. So your saying its ok for me to use 0w30? I dont even recall seeing that at my local auto parts store. although they do have Castrol Syntec (Synthetic motor oil, 5W40).

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    Just because you don't see a pool of oil under the car should you assume the oil is being burned. It's possible that the oil is just seeping from the crank seal or the front cover seal and being blown back against the underside of the engine. Jack the car up pull down the plastic cover and look for any sign of oil being blown back over the oil pan etc.

This particular engine is known for the front cover seal failing over time.
    I did have it up on a hoist with a mechanic. I did not see any oil under the car and the mechanic also said that he doesn't notice any leaks either

I would suggest against changing the viscosity of the oil. The oil pump and oil journals are designed with that specific weight in mind. changing the viscosity may impact the oil pressure and could cause main bearing failure.

Old school thinking is that if you go to a heavier weight oil the thicker viscosity will not pass through the rings as easily, however this also holds true for oil journals.

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    I would suggest against changing the viscosity of the oil. The oil pump and oil journals are designed with that specific weight in mind. changing the viscosity may impact the oil pressure and could cause main bearing failure.

Old school thinking is that if you go to a heavier weight oil the thicker viscosity will not pass through the rings as easily, however this also holds true for oil journals.
    Your right, what your saying makes complete sense. I'll just have to keep monitoring my oil level and keep topping it off I guess. What else is there to do. Thanks guys for your input.

cadillacroadside is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

there is a TSB for your vehicle, it more than likely needs piston rings and valve seals, there is also a notation in this bulletin thsat due to the configuration of the pcv system a clogged air filter can cause oil consumption. the "accepted" oil consumption on this vehicle is 1qt in 2000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacroadside View Post
    there is a TSB for your vehicle, it more than likely needs piston rings and valve seals, there is also a notation in this bulletin thsat due to the configuration of the pcv system a clogged air filter can cause oil consumption. the "accepted" oil consumption on this vehicle is 1qt in 2000 miles
    Sorry for my newbie question, but would changing my PCV valve decrease my oil consumption. I have a brand new air filter so its not that. Thanks

bigblock66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS

I've had this problem too I'm in the process of confirming that it's the synthetic in my vehicles. My '03 duramax and my brothers also uses oil when I put synthetic in them. It weird when i use conventional it doesn't appear to use any.

Few things to note if i'm not mistaken GM says the car will burn something in the range of a quart every 800 miles or something to that effect. The consensus is valve seals and rings. Having removed the heads on my car recently and inspecting the cylinder walls I'm not convinced this is a rings problem. My heads are getting a full rebuild so once I put them back on, and install new oil seals and timing cover seals I will check to see if there is any change.

very important note here DO NOT let your car run low on oil, the timing chain pensioners depend on oil pressure and are on the end of the oil flow. If the oil pressure is low the tensioner will fail which can lead to horrific timing failure. Get in the habit of buying an extra quart or two and keeping it in the car. Every time you fill up check your oil and top off.

Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan View Post
    Sorry for my newbie question, but would changing my PCV valve decrease my oil consumption. I have a brand new air filter so its not that. Thanks
    Well assuming the pcv valve is defective. pcv valve allows negitive pressure in the crank case thus less oil pressure at oil seals. With regards to the rings not so much.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

im suprised that no one has tried the no smoke additives. they work very well. its basically a thick syrup type additive that you add in your oil, best to add while the engine is running or just run it to full opp temp shut down add then fire back up.
    i used this product in my old civic that was burning as much oil as gas and it didnt completely stop it but it sure did make a difference, also ran a bottle through my jimmy which was leaking oil, the leak has since stopped. it works its way around the seals and makes them expand. there is also another similar product that is much thinner and its goal is to get in and expand things, i havent tried that one, i always used the thisk one called no smoke.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:9,s:0

NEBOJSA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

TSB information.Do you have the web sight.

Nebojsa

wow never heard of this product but i will deffinently look it up, thanks.

fullo06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 3.6L CTS w/sports package

I had the same thing with my 06 3.6L, although luckily I checked my oil and noticed I had almost no oil left... I added 2 quarts, and she was fine...no problems though still smooth ride and everything, although I did recieve a good scare. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 and I changed my oil and everything at roughly 70500 miles and im at about 74100 miles now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.