USA-Spec iPod interface DIY/How-to install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, USA-Spec iPod interface DIY/How-to install in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; DIY rating : Medium difficulty, just alot of steps and about 2 hours time. Ok so I recently purchased a ...
    BlackCadillac91 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd

Lightbulb USA-Spec iPod interface DIY/How-to install

DIY rating : Medium difficulty, just alot of steps and about 2 hours time.

Ok so I recently purchased a USA-Spec iPod interface adapter for my XM capable 06 cts base model. I brought it to best buy and they said it couldnt be installed and i needed Volkswagen components. WHAT?! So I said %#$@ that and got busy tearing apart the rear of the car, and sure enough got it all together in about 2 hours with NO AUDIO INSTALL BACKGROUND.

So here is my extensively detailed "How-To" for the install of the USA-Spec system. (model PA15-VETTE).

NOTE: I am not responsible for anything you do to your car, this is strictly a How-To and should only be attempted after putting much thought into it to make sure you want to follow though.

Also, I will be utilizing the useless little storage spot under the power outlet for the rear seats to house the adapter. So it will involve Dremeling out the back. If you do not want to do this there are many other places to install the adapter. So lets get started!

Step 1, Prep: Get yourself some cool drinks and some tunes going. Also gather the tools you will need for the job. (15mm socket, adjustable wrench, and zip ties) you will also need a dremel with a cutoff wheel and drillbit if you are mounting the adapter like mine.

Step 2, Rear seat removal: Get the bottom half of the rear seat out by simply pulling up on it and carrying it out. (no bolts or screws, pretty light too). Once that is out you will see 4 bolts like in the picture below, 2 on each side. They are size 15mm nuts.

Once you remove these, go into the trunk with your adjustable wrench and take off another 4 nuts.

With those removed, you can take out the back part of the rear seat. I fount it easiest to open the "pass-through" in the armrest and use that as a handle. Be carefull!! This is a heavy piece and has a sharp metal bottom, be aware of it around your car's paint.

Step 3, rear side panel removal: Ok as shown in the picture there are 2 options on how to do this. I do not have the size of the socket needed for this because my panels are broken so there was no bolt to remove.

Step 4, removal of rear deck: Ok, now what you will need to do is take off the rear deck. Check the black tabs in the front, they may need to be pulled out. They are not crucial so don't worry if these get damaged.

Step 5, connection of CAS-GMx Cable to XM module: Locate your XM module, it is on the driver side.

Now connect the CAS-GMx Cable to the XM module as per directions in booklet or use the visual guide below...

And then connect the CAS-GMext10 cable to the CAS-GMx cable as shown

Step 6, route the CAS-GMext10 cable as shown, by tucking it behind the seatbelt mechanism and under the trim along the driver side and out near the back of the driver's seat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: USA-Spec iPod interface DIY/How-to install

Ok now that all the wiring is done let's close up the rear end. First, replace the rear deck. It really helps to put the seatbelts on the driver and passenger sides infront of the "tabs" on the deck.

Next comes the side panels...

And then put the back part of the rear seat back in. What I did was put it halfway in the car from the drivers side and then got the seatbelts around it. Then I continued to use the "pass-through" as a handle and lined up the top bolts in the holes, then just dropped it intp place.

**MAKE SURE THE SEATBELTS ARE INFRONT OF THE SEAT (not stuck behind it) BEFORE YOU CONTINUE** (notice in next pic the side passenger seatbelts were hidden behind the seat...woops)

Now get the bottom 4 bolts in first and then do the ones in the trunk. BE SURE to get those bottom bolts in before you put the bottom part of the seat in.

Ok, now that you have the car back together. Decide what you want to do with the adapter for the iPod cable. Follow what I did if you want but beware, it's a pain in the lower regions... I would recommend just routing the cable under the drivers seat and then underneath the passenger seat.

So here is the method I used for mounting the adapter.

Now remove the rear panel that houses the power outlet and that stupid tray thing. Do this by just pulling on it and then releasing the tab for the outlet's power cable to get it separated. Connect the CAS-GMext10 cable to the CAS-GMext5 cable.

You will be cutting into thisn part so here is the pattern to follow. Best tool for the job is a dremel with a cut-off wheel.

And once it's cut out plug in the CAS-GMext5 cable into the back of the adapter. At this point you should consult the paperwork that came with the unit. Decide what position you want the switches to be in for your intended use of the adapter. Once you figure that out go ahead and put the panel in.

Ok so now you should have the panel in, the adapter secured, and the switches set up. (for me i left them all "up" for off.) So all you have left to do is plug in your supplied iPod interface cable and route it to where ever you want it to be. (I left it loose since my iPod gets shuffled through the car with people changing songs and such.)

SO. You're done! Now go nuts with some zip-ties and get all those wires neatened-up. Good luck and enjoy your tunes!! Feel free to post replies with any questions you have and i'll answer them as best I can

Sorry forgot this one, last part and what it will look like when fully installed.

iHeartzYou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

will this work in an 04 model? And mine has Nav?

It will work fine as long as you have the sirius module in the back. Good luck!

XM is Sirius by the way, sorry if that confused you lol

beartrace is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Step 3 - the small bold/screw is a 6 mm. Reinstallation of the washer and screw can be made easier if the washer is taped to the plastic bracket and the screw inserted into a piece of tape covering the hole in the washer.

The rear deck does not need to be completely removed. A 5-6" prop can be used to hold the deck above the "xmthingy" while the cable is unplugged and the kit cable is installed. Note: there is a blue retainer on the xmthingy plug that must be pulled away horizontally from the xmthingy before the cable can be unplugged.

Great directions, thank you!

Thanks for the clarifications! And nice use of my extremely technical terms hahaha

Glad I could help you with the install

Cali Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS Sport 3.6

I am ordering this and your instructions just made it final. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.