URGENT HELP PLEASE ( $25 paypal reward )
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, URGENT HELP PLEASE ( $25 paypal reward ) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; long story short. I need to fix this tonight or tomorrow whereas I have a job interview wednesday. Car is ...
    smcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

URGENT HELP PLEASE ( $25 paypal reward )

long story short. I need to fix this tonight or tomorrow whereas I have a job interview wednesday.

Car is a 2004 CTS with a 3.6L and 80k Miles.

Last thursday, my radiator took a crap. Broke down on the road and pulled into some random parking lot. Well this random parking lot was a auto repair shop. since I didnt have my truck to pull my trailer, I just let them replace it. 600 dollars later...all fixed.

When I got the car back, it seemed "under powered" and it had a VERY distinct noise to it when you went WOT. Almost like the bottom portion of the air box was off ( air suction noise ). I drove it for a day and got a CEL. took the car back to that shop to get the code and for them to fix it ( figure they forgot to hook up the airbox, or a sensor )

Code that was pulled was upstream O2 sensor ( bank 1 sensor 1 ) so me knowing cars...by fixing radiators, they couldnt have messed that up ( within reason ). So I ordered a sensor and put it in. ( OEM AC delco sensor...no cheapy )

So I put it in, STILL underpowered and still has that very distinct air suction noise.. now as a drive, the CEL flashes.

Went to go get the codes scanned again. Car threw p0300 ( random misfire )

so I figured, with the O2 sensor being out, the computer was just dumping fuel into the engine by going off MAF readings to prevent from going lean. so I thought all the extra fuel fouled the plugs.

So today I swap all 6 plugs and upper intake mani. STILL underpowered, very distinctive air suction noise AND now getting p0300, p0301, p0303, p0305. ( all misfiring in ODD cylinders )

Im at a lost here...what the hell could it be? I checked all the sensors, they are all plugged in....even unplugged them and replugged them. I check the odd coil / inj fuse..thats good

does ANYONE have any ideas?

thank you in advance.
    on friday I got a CEL for bank 1 sensor o2 sensor. So I replaced it.

anyone that helps with fixing this, I will paypal you $25.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE ( $25 paypal reward )

did u check the vacuum line to see if it was properly closed? If it's not the intake thats the only other part n the engine that i can think of that would make a sucking noise. Some people here got the same "response" once the line is opened to use seafoam. For some the engine just stops or idles really rough.

The car idles fine. Very smooth ( well, within reason ). I cant even hear it misfire like I could on my grand prix. I drove it to the nearest gas station to get fresh gas ( thought I had bad gas ) and it drove fine I guess. just NO power at all and the CEL flashes.

last of my driving, till this baby gets fixed

also, if the van line was off...why would that only misfire the ODD cylinders?

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

try disc battery and wait a few seconds and reconnect it to reset cpu. I had similar issue but changing plugs and gasket fixed it. I then threw a code just to find out i didnt reconnect my MAF sensor. Disconected battery and since then no more issues. Car is still going 8k miles after with no issues. Can't be your fuel lines if u get an odd sucking sound. sorry man hope it gets resolved.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Sounds like a air line.
    Check all your hoses. Get someone to rev it up a little while you are under the hood to listen.
    I'm assuming the noise will occure while not under a load..otherwise this won't work.

Is yours auto?
    The transmission cooler lines go into the rad.

alright, disconnected the battery for 20 minutes. While waiting, I took the whole airbox apart. It wasn't connect at the bottom. So I fixed that and I disconnected all the ODD coil packs and bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor.

Drove it around for 5 miles...no check engine light, and got SOME top power back. but I have NO low end. From a dead stop...its slower than a Pruis. haha

what could it be....hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    Sounds like a air line.
    Check all your hoses. Get someone to rev it up a little while you are under the hood to listen.
    I'm assuming the noise will occure while not under a load..otherwise this won't work.

Is yours auto?
    The transmission cooler lines go into the rad.

Yea is a automatic. When my radiator failed. my trans cooler line failed and took out the bottom radiator hose as well. So I was leaking Trans fluid and coolant at the same time ( I heart dropped when I first saw it, till I investigated more )

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Since the bottom part of the air box was exposed. I would get a MAF sensor cleaner and clean that thing. Yes the screws are security screws, and I bought a set just for that. None of them worked, so finally I derminaled a slice into the screw's head. Yeah I know your thinking, but why only the odd bank. Well I say, why not clean it?

And considering a few of us answered, and your the one who actually found an issue. Just buy Sal a drink, link is above. :-) If it wasn't for Sal, this forum probably wouldn't be here.

KOT

well its not exactly fixed.

If anyone can lead me into the right direction to get this car 100%. The money is all yours.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

and dont rule out the ECM taking a dumb on you as well. some of those random codes sound like the ECM is going. i had some codes for no reason and i swapped out the ECM and she runs like a charm again

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post

and dont rule out the ECM taking a dumb on you as well. some of those random codes sound like the ECM is going. i had some codes for no reason and i swapped out the ECM and she runs like a charm again

Completely possible. But that doesn't rule out the loud suction / open airbox noise.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by smcaddy View Post
    Yea is a automatic. When my radiator failed. my trans cooler line failed and took out the bottom radiator hose as well. So I was leaking Trans fluid and coolant at the same time ( I heart dropped when I first saw it, till I investigated more )
    your lack of power is because of the tranny, you may be low on fluid, it may be in winter mode (2nd gear starts) or depending on what you did when the tranny line blew off you may have damaged the tranny.

when the line blew off what happened that made you pull over?
    no opwer just like being in neutral?
    did you keep reving it?
    did they replace the tranny lines?
    did the rad hose break or was it pushed off?
    check your coolant level and quality
    did they change all the tranny fluid?
    if the line blew off you most likely overheated the current fluid and it is burnt, needs replacing...its a common problem 03-07cts

Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport

just curious beofre i give my answer!!

i dont have paypal so how do i claim m prize??

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    your lack of power is because of the tranny, you may be low on fluid, it may be in winter mode (2nd gear starts) or depending on what you did when the tranny line blew off you may have damaged the tranny.

when the line blew off what happened that made you pull over?

no opwer just like being in neutral?

did you keep reving it? no, pulled over

did they replace the tranny lines? lines were replaced

did the rad hose break or was it pushed off? trans lines cracked the plastic holding tank on the sides, resulting in both to leak

check your coolant level and quality Coolant is good and new ( flush and refilled ) ( but this wouldnt give me lack of power )

did they change all the tranny fluid? 3-4 quarts were left, I believe they just topped it off. Leaving me with 7 quarts of brand new fluid

if the line blew off you most likely overheated the current fluid and it is burnt, needs replacing...its a common problem 03-07cts

From what Im experiencing with no bottom end doesn't seem like a tranny slip at all. completely ECM / sensor / fuel / spark issue...but can't seem to pinpoint it at all. The loud suction noise is pretty distinct like stated before.

now when you say wintermode...thats EXACTLY what my power feels like from a dead stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    just curious beofre i give my answer!!

i dont have paypal so how do i claim m prize??

I'm not even going to answer to this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.