Swaybar diameters (front & rear) for base models and Sport models? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Swaybar diameters (front & rear) for base models and Sport models? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by andrewschenk just remember, sways wont stop you from going inverted hey now .. haha...
    Caddy916Squad is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Swaybar diameters (front & rear) for base models and Sport models?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewschenk View Post
    just remember, sways wont stop you from going inverted
    hey now .. haha

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I was looking at various swaybar options for the CTS-V and was compiling a nice little table listing all that I could find. I've got the stock V bars, Hotchkis, Addco, Eibach, and GMPP. Then I figured I would add in the CTS bars, too, just to make the table complete. I have to figure the information is here somewhere, but my searches have come up with hundreds of threads and no useful information. (Thanks, horribly unproductive Search function! )

I think that there were 2 different swaybar sets available on the CTS - the standard bars and the Sport bars. But I don't know if the Sport bars were just the CTS-V bars or what.

So, does anyone have the diameters of the front and rear swaybars, or can someone point me to a thread with the information? Thanks!
    sorry i cant help with your info, cause i already swapped my sway's for "V" sways a long time ago, but this is a very interesting thread, please keep us informed

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS-V automatic

For the list:

FE1 (STD suspension): 23mm diameter front hollow 18mm diameter rear hollow

FE3 (Sport Suspension): 23mm diameter front hollow ? rear

Divide mm by 25.4 for inch equivalents.

BTW, as far as I can tell, the V sways are also hollow steel, not solid. Pretty damn light for the diameter, unless they are solid aluminum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Interesting that the stock bars are hollow. That's good to know. I haven't had either of mine off the car, so I haven't had the opportunity to feel the lightness.

Also interesting that you said 18mm for the rear bar, but 1946415cd came up with ~15mm. If he had measured something in the 17-19mm range, I would just chalk it up to human error (like the fronts - 22.3 vs 23mm is close enough), but a 3mm difference is hard to explain.

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

3mm error= tape measure lol

Well, I assumed since he gave dimensions to a decimal point that he was using a vernier caliper, which is how I would measure them. I could be wrong, though.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

1946415cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Well, I assumed since he gave dimensions to a decimal point that he was using a vernier caliper, which is how I would measure them. I could be wrong, though.
    Yes, I used a digital vernier caliper, but the battery was dead. Read the size off the rule on the body of the caliper. I just rechecked the rear and I'm going to go with .625" or just under 16mm. No way is it 18mm.

CTSjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 ATS-V automatic

Quote Originally Posted by 1946415cd View Post
    Yes, I used a digital vernier caliper, but the battery was dead. Read the size off the rule on the body of the caliper. I just rechecked the rear and I'm going to go with .625" or just under 16mm. No way is it 18mm.
    Sounds like you are correct on the rear. I may have mistaken the rear diameter, as I pulled off my base sways and replaced with V's 6 months ago. They are were in my brother's scap metal barrel last I knew. When I have time I'll check, but indeed it may have been 16mm nominal diameter.

Sorry for posting the misinfo. My father has been in emergency care for the past week, and I have been coming to this forum for a momentary diversion. Please understand that my intent was for the best and trying to help as I can. Thanks to all for questioning the info and trying to get it correct.

1946415cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by CTSjones View Post
    Sounds like you are correct on the rear. I may have mistaken the rear diameter, as I pulled off my base sways and replaced with V's 6 months ago. They are were in my brother's scap metal barrel last I knew. When I have time I'll check, but indeed it may have been 16mm nominal diameter.

Sorry for posting the misinfo. My father has been in emergency care for the past week, and I have been coming to this forum for a momentary diversion. Please understand that my intent was for the best and trying to help as I can. Thanks to all for questioning the info and trying to get it correct.
    No problem, its all good. Hope all will be well with Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSjones View Post
    Sorry for posting the misinfo. My father has been in emergency care for the past week, and I have been coming to this forum for a momentary diversion. Please understand that my intent was for the best and trying to help as I can.
    No worries at all, man. Hope your Dad gets better.

On Tuesday I'll be dropping the V off for headers, clutch & flywheel. I'll try to remember to bring my vernier caliper with me and see if there are any CTSs up on the lifts at the dealer for me to sample from.

I borrowed the tech's vernier caliper and checked a CTS on the lift next to my car. I came up with 23mm up front and 16mm in the rear. Not sure if it was a base model or a Sport package, as it had aftermarket wheels and I'm not really sure how else to distinguish between the two.

When I was at Lindsay last week there was a CTS Sport up on the lift and I had the tech check the swaybars for me. Front appeared to be the same 23mm, on the rear he got 17mm. So, looks like the Sport rear is (maybe?) a little bigger than the base CTS. Probably not enough to be worth "upgrading" to, though.

Here's my final version of the table:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Diam. (in). . . Diam.(mm) . . . Construction . . Comments
    Hotchkis CTS-V front . .. 1-1/4 . . . . .. 31.75 . . . . . . . tubular .. . . . . Sold as front/rear kit (2280)
    Hotchkis CTS-V rear . . . 1 . . . . . . .. . 25.40 . . . . . . . ?

Hotchkis CTS front . . . . 1-3/16 . . . . . 30.16 . . . . . . . tubular .. . . . . Sold as front/rear kit (2279)
    Hotchkis CTS rear . .. . . 13/16 . . . .. . 20.64 . . . . . . . ?

Addco CTS-V front . . .. 1-3/8 . . . . . . 33.66 . . . . . . . solid . . . . . . . 2290
    Addco CTS-V rear . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . 25.40 . . . . . . . solid . . . . . . . 2289

Addco CTS front . . . . . 1-1/8 . . . . . . 28.58 . . . . . . . solid . . . . . . . 2200
    Addco CTS rear . . . .. . 7/8 . . . . . .. . 22.23 . . . . . . . solid . . . . . . . 2201

Eibach front . . . . . . . . 1.10 . . . . .. . 28.00 . . . . . . . tubular . . . . . Sold as front/rear kit (3878.320) or individually (3878.310 front, 3878.312 rear)
    Eibach rear . . . .. . . . . 0.87 . . . . .. . 22.00 . . . . . . . tubular

GMPP front . . . . . . . . . 1.38 . . . . .. . 35.00 . . . . . . . hollow . . . . . . No longer available
    GMPP rear . . . .. . . . . . 0.94 . . . . .. . 24.00 . . . . . . . solid

Stock CTS-V front . . . . 1.04 . . . . .. . 26.50 . . . . . . . tubular (?)
    Stock CTS-V rear . . .. . 0.83 . . . . .. . 21.00 . . . . . . . solid (?)

Base CTS front . . . . . . 0.91 . . . . .. . 23.00 . . . . . . . tubular (?)
    Base CTS rear . . . .. . . 0.63 . . . . .. . 16.00 . . . . . . . (?)

Sport CTS front . . .. . . 0.91 . . . . .. . 23.00 . . . . . . . tubular (?)
    Sport CTS rear . . . . . . 0.63 . . . . .. . 16.00 . . . . . . . (?)
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Are both GMPP swaybars discontinued, or just the fronts?

Sorry, my primitive table doesn't make that very clear. The GMPP swaybars only came as a front/rear kit, with adjustable endlinks as well, and aren't available anymore. Luke @ Lindsay had like 15 sets of them a while back and cleared them all out.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

What is the reputation of the Addco's? Good quality?

17. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.