FIXED: Double-Din dash install right-side LED malfunction!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Raven
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, FIXED: Double-Din dash install right-side LED malfunction! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; As promised, here it is... Background: I did alot of reading up on this forum about the double-din install before ...
    The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

FIXED: Double-Din dash install right-side LED malfunction!

As promised, here it is...

Background:
    I did alot of reading up on this forum about the double-din install before attempting it, and I noticed that one complaint from several installers was that their right side LEDs stopped working after the install. This concerned me of course, so during my install, I paid careful attention to that side of the board, and noticed that when cutting the lower part of the board off (per the Cadillacfaq.com how-to), you would be cutting off the trace that feeds those right-side LEDs (specifically the LCD right-side toggle programmable button, the clr/info button, and the swish above the selector knob), and a dropping resistor. I tried to find a way to cut the board so as to avoid this problem, but there was no way I could cut the board to preserve the circuit and still fit my AVIC-F700bt in the enclosure. So I reluctantly cut, and ended up with the same results that others had mentioned. This really bothered me, so I decided to fix the problem. Here is the process if anyone else wants to try it.

This pic shows the non-functioning LEDs...notice the right side of the LCD (two LEDs not working), and the right side daughtercard (four LEDs not working).

Upon dissasembly, I traced out the circuit that feeds these LEDs. The red lines in this pic denote the traces that normally exist to feed the affected LEDs. The yellow box denotes the location of the dropping resistor for the lower LEDs on this circuit. You can clearly see how cutting where we need to cut to fit double-din units affects this circuit.

The grey line in this pic shows the dead part of the circuit, the red represents the live parts. The orange shows my proposed jumper solution. It simply jumps supply power across the gap in the circuit, using two conveniently placed transfer holes already in the board.

I used a jumper of 18AWG stranded wire, of which I cut off about half the strands to fit the holes (22-24AWG would be ideal and require no cutting). I then inserted the wire in the holes and soldered from the other side of the board. Be very careful with the soldering part...it is very easy to accidentally short out this trace because the common plate runs within 0.5mm of it. A precision low-wattage soldering iron and light-guage solder is a must.

Not the greatest pic, but you can see the lights are back on. Mission accomplished.

Hope this helps those who have this issue.
    Ikera likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BlakGost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Re: FIXED: Double-Din dash install right-side LED malfunction!

EXCELLENT write up and perfect fix...great contribution

Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport

nicely donee.. took you long enough though lol just jkk

mjs0202 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Good fix if it worked for you but it still doesn't explain how dozens of people have cut the boards and miraculously no problems with the right side. I have to re-install my unit and have a spare board, maybe I will cut a second one and see if I have any problems.

BTW - If you have a F700 and use iPod there is a known issue with channels shorting out. My unit went back to Pioneer twice and it still had problems. They are sending my a new unit this time but I suspect the same issue will arise.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs0202 View Post
    Good fix if it worked for you but it still doesn't explain how dozens of people have cut the boards and miraculously no problems with the right side. I have to re-install my unit and have a spare board, maybe I will cut a second one and see if I have any problems.

BTW - If you have a F700 and use iPod there is a known issue with channels shorting out. My unit went back to Pioneer twice and it still had problems. They are sending my a new unit this time but I suspect the same issue will arise.
    It is interesting that some have not had this problem. The only explanation is that there MUST be variations in the PCBs...maybe by year, maybe by type of system (bose/non-bose), perhaps there are revisions within years...i dunno. But as you can see above, if you cut where the how-to tells you to cut, you cut off the power to those LEDs...no question about it.

I don't have an F700 anymore. I am, as we speak, in the process of installing an AVIC-Z1. I'm trying to integrate the CTS-V steering wheel controls so as to have working TRACK ADVANCE and SOURCE buttons.

What do you mean when you say "channels shorting out"...the pre-outs?

mjs0202 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post

What do you mean when you say "channels shorting out"...the pre-outs?
    No its not the pre-outs, only the iPod is effected. There is some problem with the connectors from the iPod inside the unit.

cincityplayer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

I have the same problem with my double din install and will beputting this fix in place. Nice write up!!!!

ride_002000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 2.8L

Im having trouble with my install...im putting everything back in the car and none of the LED's light up...but a bigger problem is figuring out which plug to put to the DIC to make it function and which plugs to plug into the PAC-Audio unit I have....Anyone know which plugs go where?

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Hey raven thanks for the research. I did a kenwood dnx9960 in my cts using you method and it turned out fine. Lost 5 hrs of my life but it was worth it. The only problem i had was retaining power to the radio after the key was turned off. I do not know where to get RAP power from. I researched it on the forum and tried the cigerette lighter fuse switch with a added relay but it does not work. The lighters do not work at all when i switch the fuses to the other position. Did you run into this problem. I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help me out there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by J W View Post
    Hey raven thanks for the research. I did a kenwood dnx9960 in my cts using you method and it turned out fine. Lost 5 hrs of my life but it was worth it. The only problem i had was retaining power to the radio after the key was turned off. I do not know where to get RAP power from. I researched it on the forum and tried the cigerette lighter fuse switch with a added relay but it does not work. The lighters do not work at all when i switch the fuses to the other position. Did you run into this problem. I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help me out there. Thanks.
    See thread -> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tall-info.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.