Mp3 input for 2003 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Mp3 input for 2003 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My girlfriend just got an 03 CTS, I don't think they had XM back on these models. She wants me ...
    Lupin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '79 El Camino, '64 Corvair Monza

Mp3 input for 2003 CTS

My girlfriend just got an 03 CTS, I don't think they had XM back on these models. She wants me to install an audio cable for her Mp3 player like I put in my '07 through the XM. I was wondering, is it possible to do something like this to the '03? Perhaps using the cassette wires from the back?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elzilcho21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 'Pearl' the White Diamond 2005 CTS

Re: Mp3 input for 2003 CTS

If its what your looking for than you want the Aux port and there's a post on here for it.............
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-keep-xm.html

Also regarding his post here is the link to the Auxiliary Port tutorial he was talking about

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...aud/index.html

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...tch/index.html

However, she doesn't have the XM radio. I was wondering, is there a wiring diagram for the 03 CTS? I was thinking maybe I could tap the audio wires from the radio and then perhaps tune in to a blank radio station (88.8 is blank, right?) or perhaps tap into the CD player wires. I think if I put in a blank CD and just let it sit on the read error and play the Mp3 through the tapped audio wires it should play the Mp3 sound. Or even make a CD with a blank 180 minute file and let that play while the Mp3 goes through the tapped wire. I think that would work. Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can give that a go?

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Whether you make a blank audio CD or use a CD that has music on it. It doesn't matter, because you'll be using the audio wires for it anyways. Typically, Red, White and Black are the color wires that are audio. I've taken apart many audio devices, and that is what I see, no matter of name brand. So That's the way it should be in there too.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Whether you make a blank audio CD or use a CD that has music on it. It doesn't matter, because you'll be using the audio wires for it anyways. Typically, Red, White and Black are the color wires that are audio. I've taken apart many audio devices, and that is what I see, no matter of name brand. So That's the way it should be in there too.

KOT
    I was actually saying I'd tap the wires, not cut them. That way, when there is nothing coming through the 3,5mm line, a CD could play and send its signal alone through the wires, however, if no sound was coming through the wire, and then an Mp3 player was to be cast through the 3,5mm, it would play that through the speakers. That's my theory anyway.

However, I'd like to know which connector is the CD one, and which wires are which.

I'm going to pursue this. I'll mod her airbox as well. She wants a volant like I have, but she's short on scratch. I figure as long as she's leaving the car here I'll surprise her with that.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Since she has an 03, getting a valent is a big waste of money. Basically it cost the same amount as yours, but it's missing the tube from the filter to the engine.

KOT

Well, I'll go attack the radio and if I run into trouble I'll post pics.

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

just did this one tonight, works good, although the XM emergency channel is in the background (very slightly, and even music at the lowest volume drowns it out).. killed my battery in the process of the mod lol so now its plugged it
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-keep-xm.html

oh yea, on a slight but still related side note, i took my ashtray/ 12v plug out, and cannot get it back in for the life of me... any tips/ trick to getting that biatch back in?

But the issue is this car does not have XM.

I worked on it for some time just now, and got it almost completely working. I hooked up one channel to the dark green, the other to one of the light greens, and grounded it to the light brown (partially because I accidentally broke the connector for that wire, oops.)

It seems that both of the light greens are for right channel, so I connected one channel to one of them, and, regardless, it doesn't appear to result in playback on that channel. However, everything else plays perfectly on both channels. Just when we hook up the mp3 player it's just on the left channel. She's overwhelmingly happy though and doesn't even notice it. Next time I open it up I'm going to solder back the contact for the light brown and find a better ground, as well as try and find out why it won't play on the right channels.

The way she has to play it is to insert a CD which I burned with 80 minutes of silence, then play it. While it is playing, she can plug in her mp3 and listen to that through the speakers.

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    But the issue is this car does not have XM.
    Every time someone with an '03 asks for an aux input we get shown that thread. Doesn't matter if we tell 'em we don't have XM, they either can't read or don't believe us .

-GT

Quote Originally Posted by GT! View Post
    Every time someone with an '03 asks for an aux input we get shown that thread. Doesn't matter if we tell 'em we don't have XM, they either can't read or don't believe us .

-GT
    Haha, but regardless I do feel proud of myself that I managed to actually do it. Now I just have to figure out why the right channel wont work. Next time shes over and were not busy I'm going to take it apart again and experiment with different right channel/ground combinations. The curious thing is that the right channel still works for CD and radio playback....

so today was my first day using it, and i noticed a very annoying whirring, turned down the bass and it was gone, but left the music sounding like anus.

so question is, do you guys think this is because the XM is also trying to come through the same wires and causing 'feedback'?
    i have no intention of buying XM so cutting instead of just splicing the wires isnt a problem, and if i go to sell the car ill just re-wire XM back. but i dont want to cut if it wont solve the problem.

also, with music playing i cant hear the whirring but i can still feel it in my ears, then between songs its definitely noticeable

Everyone, I have done it! It was hard and it took hours and hours of trial and error, sweat, and some blood. I have found an almost flawless way to add an Mp3 auxiliary jack to the non-XM, non-nav 2003 CTS!

I will post a wiring diagram shortly. This is just excellent. My girlfriend is very pleased. It involved interrupting 2 of the wires and sending them to inline switches which I have hidden in the ashtray. You can go on any radio station or put in a noiseless CD, flip the 2 switches, and play Mp3 through the jack which I have hidden near the cup holder.

Also, to Andrew. I did that mod on my 2007 CTS with XM. Yes, cutting the wire will solve that issue.

awesome thanks buddy! and congrats on figuring yours out

i think im going to cut the wires then use micro quick disconnects so i can quickly and easy switch back to XM and keep everything looking neat and tidy.

WickedGoat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2/2004 GTO/2004 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    Everyone, I have done it! It was hard and it took hours and hours of trial and error, sweat, and some blood. I have found an almost flawless way to add an Mp3 auxiliary jack to the non-XM, non-nav 2003 CTS!

I will post a wiring diagram shortly. This is just excellent. My girlfriend is very pleased. It involved interrupting 2 of the wires and sending them to inline switches which I have hidden in the ashtray. You can go on any radio station or put in a noiseless CD, flip the 2 switches, and play Mp3 through the jack which I have hidden near the cup holder.

Also, to Andrew. I did that mod on my 2007 CTS with XM. Yes, cutting the wire will solve that issue.
    Good job man! Anxious to see how you did it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.