Transmission Fluid Change
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 114
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Fluid Change in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi guys, I wanted to change the transmission fluid on my '04 CTS, 3.6L. Its an automatic transmission. I found ...
  1. #1
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260

    Talking Transmission Fluid Change

    Hi guys, I wanted to change the transmission fluid on my '04 CTS, 3.6L. Its an automatic transmission. I found a DIY guide on Cadillac FAQ but its for a CTS-V and I was wondering weather the method for fluid change for the CTS and CTS-V are the same. I posted the link to the site with the DIY. If someone has completed a TF change on a CTS please let me know. Also I was wondering weather I should change the filter or not. My car has 138,000 KM and I recently bought the car so I dont know if a fluid change was ever done. And I'm also feeling slightly jerking when the gear shift. The DIY does not indicate how to change the filter. I'm new to mechanic work and usually take this kind of stuff to a mechanic but I would like to start doing my own work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html


    Thanks in Advance,

    Tharsan S.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Ok I went over the shop manual and it has this diagram. The shop manual however does not state anything about replacing the fluid filter. Does that mean that it does not need to be replaced?

    And so basically, all I have to do is drive the car around for a bit and warm up the fluid then, I put it on a ramp, unscrew the fill plus and then the drain plug. Then I just close up the drain plug and fill DEXRON III and close the fill hole? Anything else I need to worry about?
    Attached Images

  4. #3
    ghettomike's Avatar
    ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    off the grid.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,866

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    I'd your car auto or manual?

  5. #4
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    I'd your car auto or manual?
    Automatic

  6. #5
    txbest1980's Avatar
    txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wherever Uncle Sam sends me
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,417

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan View Post
    And so basically, all I have to do is drive the car around for a bit and warm up the fluid then, I put it on a ramp, unscrew the fill plus and then the drain plug. Then I just close up the drain plug and fill DEXRON III and close the fill hole? Anything else I need to worry about?
    that sounds about it...recently i had a tranny hose pop off and i lost a little over 5 quarts of tranny fluid. the only thing that sucks, is filling the damn thing up can take forever without the right tools

  7. #6
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    that sounds about it...recently i had a tranny hose pop off and i lost a little over 5 quarts of tranny fluid. the only thing that sucks, is filling the damn thing up can take forever without the right tools
    Ouch that sucks, hope there was no damage to your tranny. The right tools being a fluid pump right?

  8. #7
    txbest1980's Avatar
    txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wherever Uncle Sam sends me
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,417

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    i had no damage...i was very fortunate it happened where it happened and it was the best case of just the hose popping off. it could have been much as we all know, but i was fortunate...

    as for the right tools, you are exactly right, you need a fluid pump, but make sure you get a good one even if you have to spend a few bucks more, cause otherwise it can be a major pain in the ass to refill that thing

  9. #8
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    i had no damage...i was very fortunate it happened where it happened and it was the best case of just the hose popping off. it could have been much as we all know, but i was fortunate...

    as for the right tools, you are exactly right, you need a fluid pump, but make sure you get a good one even if you have to spend a few bucks more, cause otherwise it can be a major pain in the ass to refill that thing
    Well that's good to hear.... did you also change you transmission filter, I'm guessing that is done by removing the fluid pan, I'm not sure of what exactly that filter looks like or where it is attached, and once I remove the pan I guess I have to put up a new gasket and use silicon seal around the pan when putting it back together? Thanks for the help once again.

  10. #9
    txbest1980's Avatar
    txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wherever Uncle Sam sends me
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,417

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    i didnt bother to replace all of that, just for the simple fact i was trying to get my car off the side of the rode. but you are exactly right on all of the above...

  11. #10
    Gaetano04's Avatar
    Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GTA, Canada
    Age
    28
    Posts
    855

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    when changing the trans fliud drain old fliud and remove pan, and remove debris from the magnet and change filter.. when filling the tranny back up, the car must be on and in gear to fill properlyy

  12. #11
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    when changing the trans fliud drain old fliud and remove pan, and remove debris from the magnet and change filter.. when filling the tranny back up, the car must be on and in gear to fill properlyy
    Just a couple questions:
    A) The filter.... where exactly is it located, on the pan or on the tranny area? B) where is this magnet and what should I clean it off with?
    C) When u say have the engine running and in gear, you mean after I drain and clean the pan, I should run the car with no fluid in the tranny? or I should add a bit then turn the car on and leave it in park and fill the rest?


    Thanks in advance.

  13. #12
    Gaetano04's Avatar
    Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GTA, Canada
    Age
    28
    Posts
    855

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    you should see the filter when you drop the pan somewhere on the underside of the tranny.. the magnet is on the bottom of the pan. inspect for metal, this is a sigh of possible tranny problems, you may find a little but its ok..

    and fill it a bit then turn the car on to allow the fluid to be sucked up into the tranny, and fill up, hope it helps

  14. #13
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    you should see the filter when you drop the pan somewhere on the underside of the tranny.. the magnet is on the bottom of the pan. inspect for metal, this is a sigh of possible tranny problems, you may find a little but its ok..

    and fill it a bit then turn the car on to allow the fluid to be sucked up into the tranny, and fill up, hope it helps
    Thank you very much for your help. One last question, is there anything specific type of silicon sealant I should use when putting the pan back together with the tranny?

  15. #14
    Gaetano04's Avatar
    Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GTA, Canada
    Age
    28
    Posts
    855

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    i am not sure what the pros use lol , i just used a bit of rtv silcone to seal it up nicely, but not to much dont want it getting inside the pan and mixxing with the tranny fluid

  16. #15
    s_tharsan's Avatar
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Age
    27
    Posts
    260
    Thread Starter

    Re: Transmission Fluid Change

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    i am not sure what the pros use lol , i just used a bit of rtv silcone to seal it up nicely, but not to much dont want it getting inside the pan and mixxing with the tranny fluid
    thanks you've helped me a lot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting