Transmission Fluid Change - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Fluid Change in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by 74chvy glasshouse 7 quarts of fluid ,torx 45, torque wrench ,fluid pump i had another question should ...
    X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Quote Originally Posted by 74chvy glasshouse View Post
    7 quarts of fluid ,torx 45, torque wrench ,fluid pump i had another question should the rear of the car be a lil higher when i had the car level it spilled out but the front jackstands were higher than rear
    This what you wanted to know, Kad ? Haven't you got your owner's manual ? Its in the Capacities & Specifications section.

JCT7703 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2005 3.6 V6

I'm planning to service my transmission, and I would like to buy the filter an other required stuff from GM; can you give the GM's part numbers? Thx.

jrplz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan View Post
    I've completed my transmission fluid change. I notice a huge difference while driving my CTS after the fluid change. Hope this information helps.
    WOW !!! great write up thank you and all the fellow members on here for all the help full knowledge and advice !

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    that sounds about it...recently i had a tranny hose pop off and i lost a little over 5 quarts of tranny fluid. the only thing that sucks, is filling the damn thing up can take forever without the right tools
    Same thing just happened to me last weekend. Happened at home in the driveway and I spotted it at the gas station a mile from home. I was lucky to have made it to a nearby repair shop just in time. Really lucky it didn't happen on the highway. I did some research on this site and found that it is a common problem. No warning, nothing catastrophic like accidentally running over something to cause this, it just happened. Must be yet another design flaw, and a serious one at that. I have roughly 87k miles on it.

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I called the local dealer and asked how many trans cooler line issues he's seen....I asked for the "no Bull" response. Whether I got it was another matter, but he did say he's seen the issue and that the lines being replaced should be good for a couple years. I mentioned I was thinking of the separate trans cooler he said, considering the age of the car and the cost to replace the stock lines, it would be a no brainer to pass the radiator for any future repair.
    On the trans fluid subject, I did dump and fill today. The fill plug was seriously on too tight (note to everyone to please loosen (not remove) the fill plug before you drain the trans. I didn't even jack the car as I really wanted to keep the car level and I could access everything. I made up a series of extensions and a knuckle to fit into the T45 and then just impacted it loose. Drained then poured everything I drained into a large semi clear jug and marked the level. Then poured out the fluid and refilled the same jug to the same fluid level. It was about 4.5 quarts. Used this
    http://www.1stincity.com/en/moulding...mp-ezs068.html
    to pump the fluid out of the large jug and into the trans. My son did the pumping while I held the tube in place. A bit messy when I had to clamp off the hose to start the engine, run through the gears then back to pumping. Even messier when I told him to stop and he kept pumping as I took the hose out of the trans. So much for a 14 year old helping. Anyway, one more dump and fill and I should have drained all the fluid.
    BTW, Walmart sells Dexron 6 for less than $4 a quart. Not too bad.

s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

Quote Originally Posted by JCT7703 View Post
    I'm planning to service my transmission, and I would like to buy the filter an other required stuff from GM; can you give the GM's part numbers? Thx.
    Just take your vin number to the parts counter at GM and ask for transmission fluid, pan gasket and filter.

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Im in the process of doing the transmission oil change, as we speak. Ive got as far as replacing the filter. Now, i have seen 4.5 quarts, 7 quarts and even heard 9 quarts. This need to be straightened out ASAP. Also, my transmission pan does not have a drain plug. I had to remove the entire pan in order to drain the fluid.

Ok, i called Auto Zone, Oriellys, Advanced auto parts. They all said that the intial fill, just draining the fluid and refilling it is 5 quarts....

5 quarts guys.....

kaitagun is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts 3.6 2005

same happen to me in the highway!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-QC View Post
    Same thing just happened to me last weekend. Happened at home in the driveway and I spotted it at the gas station a mile from home. I was lucky to have made it to a nearby repair shop just in time. Really lucky it didn't happen on the highway. I did some research on this site and found that it is a common problem. No warning, nothing catastrophic like accidentally running over something to cause this, it just happened. Must be yet another design flaw, and a serious one at that. I have roughly 87k miles on it.
    same thing happened me months! I saw some outside and i stopped the car and i saw a red oil

erekv2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6

Ok, this is one of those on going threads that never dies...Thank God...So I did my change with an estimated 5 quartz, but I may have to add a little more just because I don't think I got the 5 full quartz in there. However, I have a problem now with my Tranny...130Miles on the car, 1st gear is not shift smoothly like before and my engine light is on. Has anyone with High Miles experienced any of these symptoms after they change there Trans Oil?

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I doubt it's fluid related. My guess would be a sensor, possibly a shift sensor. But, I'm out of my league until you tell us the codes it's throwing.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by erekv2 View Post
    Ok, this is one of those on going threads that never dies...Thank God...So I did my change with an estimated 5 quartz, but I may have to add a little more just because I don't think I got the 5 full quartz in there. However, I have a problem now with my Tranny...130Miles on the car, 1st gear is not shift smoothly like before and my engine light is on. Has anyone with High Miles experienced any of these symptoms after they change there Trans Oil?
    Did you reset the TCM?

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan View Post
    Just take your vin number to the parts counter at GM and ask for transmission fluid, pan gasket and filter.
    seems like the most sensible and the quickest way. of course, it may cost you a few extra bucks - but you're getting OE parts... always worth it to me.

cmerrell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Right now my automatic 2004 3.6L is having gearing trouble. I know cars but this is my first Cadillac. I'm understanding that there is no transmission dipstick on this vehicle...if I'm wrong please help! The main problem is when I go into any gear (r) or (d) and hit the gas the car does not accelerate, it revs, and Rpms jump....I need some advice? Thank you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

HawkzillaCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L

When I bought my 06 back in August, it had some rough shifts on occasion. So I loosened the tranny drain on the bottom of the pan, just enough to let an ounce of fluid out. It was BLACK, but didn't smell burnt. Obviously needed new fluid ASAP. So first step for newbs would be to very slowly loosen your pan drain bolt until the fluids starts to drip out and catch it in a small white plastic cup. this way you can inspect the condition of the fluid. If it has never been replaced it will be dark brown to black, but the key is if it smells burnt. If it does you may be in for some bad news. if you're not sure, take it to a local tranny shop and let them smell it.

Okay then I ordered my own replacement filter kit (I prefer to buy my own parts when possible) and called up my Caddy service center and had them drain the pan and drop it. NOW THIS IS KEY: Very clearly instruct them NOT to empty or clean the pan once they have it off. You want to be able to inspect it. If it has noticeable shards of metal floating in it or the magnet look like a metal porcupine, your tranny has been grinding and do NOT have anyone flush it, just replace the filter and put the pan back on and have them top it off (4-5 quarts). Then just drive it normal and perhaps have the pan drop procedure done again every year or so (it's only around $50) to get the remainder of the metal out. The reason is, if you have evidence that your tranny has been grinding then you don't want to flush it as forcing fluid through can easily force metal shards into places that you don't want them to go and it can kill your tranny in a hurry.

Now, if you have your pan dropped and you don't see any metal shards or debris, you're in luck. Have them put in the new filter kit and replace the pan and top it off. The only thing now is you're CTS holds like 9-12 qts of ATF (this seems to be different depending on whom you ask), and replacing the pan only cleans up 35% of it. So what i did was I took it down to Amco Transmission and had them replace the rest. I did this because I my research revealed that having a transmission only shop do a replacement fluid procedure is the safest bet. They didn't have to drop the pan so what they did was run the car and pop a hose off and let the natural flow of the fluid pull the new ATF until the old stuff coming out was bright red... booyah, your ATF is completely new, without being forced. This part cost me $100.

So in the end I paid $150 + the cost of a filter kit ($40 I believe I paid). $190 was a small price to pay to know it was done right, see the old pan myself, and know the fluid was fully replaced. My CTS shifts like a new car now and should be good to go for another 50K before I have the same procedure done again.

My only regret is I didn;t have them put Dex6 in there. I don't trust that anyone will use the higher end stuff when you pay for it or provide it, so I might end up buying a 12 pack of Dex6 and finding a tranny place that allows you to watch while it's done. Dex6 sounds like the Mobil1 of the ATF world.

You can do it yourself but know if you just drain the pan and drop it and replace the filter, you will only be replacing 35% of the fluid, not to mention you are dinking around with the second most expensive part of your vehicle. For me it was a no brainer to invest a couple hundy to make sure my tranny was protected properly.

Just my experience, hope it helps.

Tom's Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I hope it is just low on tranny fluid for you. I would check the tran cooler lines from the rad for any leaking first then check the tranny fluid, No dipstick sorry.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.