Transmission Fluid Change - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Fluid Change in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by RoyalFlush LOL rolls-royce i hear you. This is an easy job to do. Drain plug is on ...
    74chvy glasshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
    LOL rolls-royce i hear you. This is an easy job to do. Drain plug is on bottom of pan... the one on to the right of what you circled (big n shiny) with the torx screw is the fill plug. Drain first, drop pan(careful u dont break bolts like i did recommend using impact air gun/drill with some rust remover), remove old gasket, clean both pan edges and edges on the tranny where the gasket makes contact, clean the magnet on the pan, remove filter, replace filter make sure u get the old ring out of the old filter nozzle it usually stays stuck in the tranny, new filters usually come with a new gasket, put back on and tighten. replace tranny fluid till it spills, then turn car on and run it through the gears, then continue filling till it spills a little out, run it through gears once more and top off fluid till it spills a bit again and your done. Reading through the forums and planning it out is alot harder than jumping in and doing it... plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. 1+1 does not equal 3.
    thanks
    i was actually just trying to check the fluid level but when i took out the plug the torx 45 fluid poured out is it over filled?? i plan on doing the filter change in a couple weeks the one i circled looks like fluid might be seeping thru whats that used for? thanks again

----------

also my fill plug is in toward the back of the tranny where i put the arrow if it makes a difference

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
    Drain plug is on bottom of pan... the one on to the right of what you circled (big n shiny) with the torx screw is the fill plug.
    You can't both be right on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    You can't both be right on this one.
    well what i really wanted to kno was if something was wrong since alot of fluid came out when i took out the fill plug??

I haven't worked on the transmission, but I think you took out the wrong plug, 74.

RoyalFlush says the plug he calls the fill plug is the shiny torx in your diagram, not the one at the other end that you are calling the fill plug. I thought I heard there was a fill plug on top of the casing, but maybe that was for the manual.

The transmission would never be overfilled, normal service interval is 100,000 miles or 50,000 under severe operating conditions. So you taking something off the casing and fluid coming out...I think that's the wrong plug.

The service manual is in the FAQ/DIY sticky at the top of the listings. There is all you need to know in the transmission section. Give 'er a read.

thanks im pretty sure i took out the right plug its the one toward the rear on the transmission #36 on the diagram it says it could be in either location it said it depends on model he said it might have been on a slight incline i jacked it up put it on stands but it seemed if i put all jackstands at same height the rear would be a lil higher im gonna try again in a couple days with the jacks at all the same height

Good luck, sorry I don't know more. I'm trying to learn everything there is to know about the CTS, but I'm not there yet.
    I'm writing a book on the CTS. It doesn't even have a Chilton's repair manual, yet.
    My book is a combination buying guide and repair manual, with lots of pictures.

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

You'll notice Chilton doesn't print a manual for any Cadillac not even a Catera. Because for most people, if you can afford a Caddy you will pay a technician to fix it.

----------

I take it back I checked their website they do print them for devilles and sevilles

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I have seen a Haynes for Catera, as well.

They have Chilton's/Haynes for almost every car. The CTS is conspicuous by its absence.

Car people like to know about their cars, and some people, wealthy or not, like to be independent. I'll change my own bulb, I'll wipe my own...you get the point.
    Just because you have money doesn't mean you want to be waited on in every aspect of life.

Lots of millionaires enjoy changing their own oil. Some guys prefer to carry their own golf clubs, some want caddies and some want to ride around the course on a cart. It takes all kinds. Why does Jay Leno work on his own cars ?

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

not home but I will put up the service manual diagrams. It is the Shiny silver looking one that requinres a torx wrench.

#36 on my diagram:

Trans Diagram.jpg
    1. Change the fluid and fluid filter.
    2. Start the engine.
    3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
    4. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
      Caution

The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
    5. Let the AT fluid temperature rise until it has reached the specified value. Remove the transmission level hole plug (36).
    6. If needed, add DEXRON®III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the threaded hole plug.

Important

If the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) are not damaged, they should be reused.
    7. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Inspect the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) for damage. Install the transmission level hole plug (36) and tighten to the specified value.
    8. Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Jay Leno does not work alone. He has a staff to back him up.
    He is very knowlegdeable about his cars, but if he screws up, he has a bailout waiting.
    carrnuttdave and carrnuttdave like this.

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post
    Jay Leno does not work alone. He has a staff to back him up.
    He is very knowlegdeable about his cars, but if he screws up, he has a bailout waiting.
    I don't think he actuall does much work on his cars at all. He just plays with them while his garage staff does all the work!

does the gasket need silicone or is it rubber can u reuse old gasket??

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

no gasket does not need silicone. u technically can reuse the old rubber one but a new one should've come with the filter.

cool thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.