Transmission Fluid Change - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Fluid Change in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Gaetano04 mine original was howling annd whining like crazy so I swapped it out with one i ...
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    mine original was howling annd whining like crazy so I swapped it out with one i found for like $450 with 2 year warranty,, that one started to leak from the output seal and both side seals.. so I through in a 05 LSD dif in there
    ouch, sorry to hear that.

dproto09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L Silver

Quick question I'm remember reading on the service manual that txbest sent me that it say in order to fill the transmission properly you must turn on the car and put the transmission in N.. Then continued filling as it start to over flow you then put the fill bolt back in.. It says if you shut off the vehicle before putting the fill bolt in. the transmission will spill the additional fluids that the torque converter holds... Sorry I just want this to be clear first before people start noticing any problem... If someone can post the procedure from the service manuel this should help out other member.. Sorry for any types o but posting on android swype is hard...

rgvcts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6 CTS Luxury Sport

THis post was alot of help. The dealer is charging $178 to do my filter replacement and tranny flush... my transmission fluid life is at 29%... but im now considering doing it myself, mabe we'll see, those pics were a great help.

paulmcconnon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

Great info. Just 2 questions though-- 1. My car is an 06 vette the bolts on the rear of the tranny pan look tough to get at anybody know which tool I can use to get to them and 2. I want to change ALL the fluid on this one and of course would like to do the torque converter at the same time as the pan. How do I drain the tc ?
    Thanks.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by rgvcts View Post
    THis post was alot of help. The dealer is charging $178 to do my filter replacement and tranny flush... my transmission fluid life is at 29%... but im now considering doing it myself, mabe we'll see, those pics were a great help.
    Holy crap. My dealer charged me just over $100 canadian, or about 90 US at the time.

DanVB1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

How much fluid did it take to refill after the filter change?
    I plan on doing it this weekend.
    Thanks!

rddd1962 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD Diamond White/08 SRX V6 AWD Crystal Red

this is great info thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanVB1 View Post
    How much fluid did it take to refill after the filter change?
    I plan on doing it this weekend.
    Thanks!
    I did it last weekend. About 7 quarts exactly came out and I put in 7 quarts of of Valvoline Dex/Merc Maxlife along with a bottle of Lubegard. At 65K, the pan was almost free of debris and the magnet only had a modest coating of shavings.
    The most difficult part was removing and re-installing the side fill plug, especially with a hot exhaust pipe a few inches away. The measuring bucket I bought at Lowes was also helpful as it gave me a good indication of exactly how much fluid I needed to refill.

Myjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow, just read the whole thread!

Very informative posts.

Is this basically the same process for a 06 2.8l?

Is there anything wrong with changing the trans fuild at 30k miles? I'm assuming the more drain and fills I do the better it is for the life of my trans?

Quote Originally Posted by Myjohnson View Post
    Is this basically the same process for a 06 2.8l?

Is there anything wrong with changing the trans fuild at 30k miles? I'm assuming the more drain and fills I do the better it is for the life of my trans?
    Yes, I have a 2006 2.8L and no, there is nothing wrong with changing it at 30K, just costs money. I used Valvoline Maxlife w/o stop leak and its working well.
    The only tricky part is refilling. I didn't put the car on 4 jack stands, but rather filled it while jacked from the left side with the exact amount that came out + a little more until the fluid dripped out of the refill hole. Be careful, the exhaust pipe is right next to the refill hole and soon after starting it gets hot.
    I used a fluid pump from Autozone with a clear tube extension to pump the jugs from outboard of the car. Also put in a bottle of Lubegard Platinum.

family-man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

you guys are from Toronto? where is the fill hole?, and does canadian tire sell the good auto trannsmission fluid i need for the trannie flush or do i need to go to the GM dealer only?

74chvy glasshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice

what did you use to clean thetransmission where the gasket was?? did you use any rtv silicone ?? is the old gasket reusable i think i read somewhere its a rubber reusable gasket.
    thanks

74chvy glasshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice

i went to check my transmission fluid and fluid poured out transmission is the same except the fill plug is in the rear where i put the arrow . is there something wrong ??? did i do something wrong ?? or too much fluid ?? the car was on in park. level
    also the plug that i circled looked mois twhats it used for

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

RoyalFlush is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 3.6L v6 cts lux

LOL rolls-royce i hear you. This is an easy job to do. Drain plug is on bottom of pan... the one on to the right of what you circled (big n shiny) with the torx screw is the fill plug. Drain first, drop pan(careful u dont break bolts like i did recommend using impact air gun/drill with some rust remover), remove old gasket, clean both pan edges and edges on the tranny where the gasket makes contact, clean the magnet on the pan, remove filter, replace filter make sure u get the old ring out of the old filter nozzle it usually stays stuck in the tranny, new filters usually come with a new gasket, put back on and tighten. replace tranny fluid till it spills, then turn car on and run it through the gears, then continue filling till it spills a little out, run it through gears once more and top off fluid till it spills a bit again and your done. Reading through the forums and planning it out is alot harder than jumping in and doing it... plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. 1+1 does not equal 3.
    jgclark likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.