Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New CTS owner...Parking brake will not lock in place...?????

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  fig865 
#1 ·
Hello again. CTS parking brake will not lock down in place. Any info on this problem? Have only had the car 1 day.

#3 ·
To elaborate...

When I step down to engage the parking brake, the pedal does not lock the parking brakes. Instead, the pedal comes back up. The parking brakes work if I hold down the parking brake pedal down, but when I lift my foot, the pedal comes back up. So basically, they engage, but disengage when I lift my foot.

#7 ·
I'm not sure where the latch is but it should click and grab.
Do you hear the clicking as you push it in?
Could be as simple as a little spring that holds the latch broke

#10 ·
I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem with a new (to me) '06 CTS-V and I didn't see how this problem got fixed. The cable works fine, light fine, holds fine, just won't stay down. I think the spring or mechanism that holds the pedal down is broken and I don't hear any clicking as I apply the pedal. I've spent half an hour trying to figure out how to remove the pedal and assembly but can't get it out. I really don't want to take it to the dealer and pay gobs of money for fixing a little spring or something.

#11 ·
OK, I fixed mine. I talked to a tech at my GM dealer and he led me to an easy fix. I sprayed some brake cleaner on the sping assembly under the dash and worked the pedal a bit. Then followed it up with a little WD-40. Works great now!
The tech said that the mechanism gets all gummed up over time and cleaning it out fixes it.

#13 ·
still having the same problem. have cleaned it out, worked it, and still not working. brake light registers with dash and car holds while pressing on the parking brake, but will not stay down. no clicks when pressing and the release lever is not stuck open. will have to just purchase another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.