Wiper motor has own mind 2004 CTS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Wiper motor has own mind 2004 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just replaced this damn thing. My problems are solved! But, for anyone trying this at home, you don't need ...
    mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Wiper motor has own mind 2004 CTS

I just replaced this damn thing. My problems are solved! But, for anyone trying this at home, you don't need to do all of the stuff caddynate talked about (though I always appreciate a how-to, I had yours in my pocket)...you can just remove two (10mm?) bolts and remove the entire wiper linkage as a complete assembly. Flip it over, replace the faulty cover, and reassemble. Whole job took me less than 20 minutes.

djstickem is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I know this thread is old but does anyone know what part I am suppose to get? The ebay link is dead.... Mine wont shut off either

djstickem is offline Cadillac Owners Member

you online?

rousemkg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    I installed the motor/transmission that I got from ebay today and it solved my problem. I will try to get some photos up pretty soon. Believe me, it is a very simple swap. You first remove the wiper arms. There is a black cap on each wiper that comes off to reveal a 15mm nut, pretty sure that is the right size. Pop both sides off. You then have to remove the "black cover" that goes across the firewall. I started by just trying to do the drivers side, but the cover is in 2 pieces and it made things easier to get the whole thing off. If you have done the cabin filter swap, then you know how to get the passenger side off. There are 4 phillips-head screws that hold that half on. The drivers side is held on by 1 10mm nut.
    The nut is actually on the front fender, just underneath the top lip of the fender. Once you get that cover off, everything is pretty simple. 2 10mm nuts hold the unit in and takes 2 minutes to swap. Replace the "black cover", snap the wiper arms back on, tighten the nuts and you are good to go. If you haven't done the cabin filter, do it at the same time. Hope this helps

Thanks! This was a ton of help!

rousemkg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by caddynate View Post
    My wipers have also started having a mind of there own and kept going on radomly when they were selected off. I changed the motor and hasnt happend happened again yet. Keep in mind there is a recall for some terminal block on the connector supposely that can also be the root of the cause. The installation is easy but can get tricky if not experienced. I will summarize the remove/ install procerdure. If u ever have a job u performed please take the time and write something in the forums to help all of us out to avoid the high shop fees, and keep the at home mechanic alive. thanks.

1) have ignition off and pull wpr motor fuse (30a) , tape the location of the wipers and removed the cap the covers the bolt, remove the nut and kinda brake over the hinge backwards on the wiper arm and rock back and forth, side to side till it comes off.
    2) take weather strip off on upper plastic, remove 4 small bolts on passenger side and one nut on drivers side (bolted to fender) and carefully removed plastic from under hood.
    3)at this time u suggest taking a picture of the linkage (u CAN mess is up, from exp)
    4) crack the 1/2 nut that hold the motor to the linkage
    5) now removed 3 torq bolts from motor
    6) on the passenger side the linkage bracket has a small 10mm bolt, removed that and it will give u plenty of wiggle room to removed the motor, so just finish loosening the 1/2 nut u cracked earlier and lift the bracket enough to pull the motor out.
    7) disconnect the connector and take ur time. Disconnect it by lifting the big tab up and wiggle side to side. Dont mess with small tabs on the side unless u wanna possibly do some sodering and re-wiring.
    8)look at the motor and make sure it has a LH stamp on it and a arrow that shows a counter clockwise direction ,install new motor, hook up linkage how it orginally was, put 10mm bolt back, put plastic back on without hardware, install wiper arms, (put 30a fuse back in)put wipers on, see if they work good(always pour water on ur windshield with wipers on to avoid damaging ur windshield), then finish with the plastic instllation
    9)if u have any problems, i learned to disconnect the nut were the link attaches to the motor, work the linkage manually and figure out how the linkage is suppose to go. When i did this job, the motor moved a little when it first came on when i didnt have the wipers on yet and messed up the rigg in the linkage. so might be a good idea if ur having problems to leave the motor nut off when u turn it on and see if it moves. I think mine just wanted to be a pain in the a$$. Its about an hour job if nothing goes wrong and depending on how many times u drop a tool in the engine compartment and have to fish it out. hHAHA
    Thanks a lot! Those detailed steps really helped out!

Curt brad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 (Light Platinum/Black on Gray)
    Yes, does anyone still have the Part Number to order?

I found the TYCO Relay on eBay, and got it for $10. With free shipping. It did solve this problem. Wish I had found this tread sooner.

Now to order the part with your help on the Part Number .

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I ordered the cover, part number GM #88958172.

I opened the old circuit board because I thought I'd find a bad relay or dirty contacts on the relay but that was not the case. I think a capacitor on the PCB dried up.

al's03cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

Hey all,

I had the same problem, i.e., wipers with a mind of their own. Ordered the cover kit from Rippy (thanks, Chris) and installed it today. Solved the problem without having to dismount or replace the wiper motor.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Can you supply a picture of this cover? The old one will be good enough. Just want to see what this part looks like and what it contains.

KOT

Hey, KOT

Same part number as Sammy Z posted. Never tried to post photos, hope these work.

DSC06740.JPGDSC06741.JPGDSC06740.JPG

Really? Interesting how you can just purchase just that part. Thought you had to buy the entire "motor" assembly. Glad to know this at least it's available like this.

KOT

SquirrelXss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hrmm, my car has been having the same problem. I new to trying to fix my own probs. But is that the piece where the power cord connects to the washer motor?

The piece pictured above is attached the the actual wiper motor. Located near the brake booster just under the lip of the firewall.

KOT

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by al's03cts View Post
    Hey all,

I had the same problem, i.e., wipers with a mind of their own. Ordered the cover kit from Rippy (thanks, Chris) and installed it today. Solved the problem without having to dismount or replace the wiper motor.
    what was the cost of the part?

At the risk of getting Chris ticked off at me, it was $71.19 plus shipping.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.