Transmission Damage? PLEASE REPLY?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission Damage? PLEASE REPLY? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok, I have posted a few questions before along this subject and wanted to get peoples opinion.. Seems like alot ...
    cupper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Transmission Damage? PLEASE REPLY?

Ok, I have posted a few questions before along this subject and wanted to get peoples opinion.. Seems like alot of people have had this problem where the trans cooler line comes off and spews the fluid everywhere.
    In late Jan I had this happen to me, started up a hill and the car started to rev but no power, tried putting in and out of gear and revving it and still no go. Coasted to a stop and noticed a large line of fluid from the bottom of the hill to me and a giant puddle under the car.
    I had it towed back where it has been sitting until now, I ordered the new radiator and plan to do this myself, no problems.
    My questions are two fold:
    1) If this has happened to you and the someone replaced the lines/radiator, was there any damage to the transmission?

2) Could I have caused further damage by letting it sit this long with little to no fluid in it?

I am thinking about slapping the radiator in it and selling it as quickly as I can/ trading it in possibly?? What is your suggestion?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Transmission Damage? PLEASE REPLY?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...hanks-tow.html

and

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/191401-transmission-coolant-line-came-off-radiator.html

cupper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hello,
    Thank you for the reply, I have read over these a few times. It would seem it is very hit and miss, this is why I was trying to get an overall reading. If you read in the first post he got away with what I am doing. Some of the others are the same, but Cadillacfilter1 is saying "where my mechanic discovered the transmission is toasted" this is the part that worries me.

It would seem like if you just shut it down within a few minutes of a massive leak it will be minimal damage to the tranny. Obviously the lines, radiator, flush kits, etc aren't my worry is the ~1500.00 tranny that worries me the most.

Thank you!

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

I haven't put much mileage on mine since it happened but so far so good. I knew it was the line instantly because I read about it so as soon at it heard it rev and no go I just pulled right over and shut it down.
    Its when you keep reving and trying to drive with no fluid that burns out the tranny.
    Just like if you crack your engine oil pan(or other big leak and drop in pressure) shut down and tow.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

A tranny has to be more than $1500.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Jimmy I think the 1500 he is refering to is what the parts, towing, and partial labor end up costing.
    A rebuild is probably around the 2-3k mark on the cts, I have heard its a pain to rebuild these trannys...I've also heard they are used in some bmw?

No, the new 6-speed auto in the second gen is shared with BMW, Ford, and I think Chrysler too. It's development was a 4-way collaboration.

Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport

i have a 04 3.6l and the tranny is used in some 3 series its a 5speed hydramatic tranmission, shops dont like to rebuild so they will chrage you for it and just buy a used or salvage one and tell you its been rebuilt

Gaetano04 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts sport

my planetary gear was gone and was havin problem down/up shiftting from 1 to second.. i just got one from a scrapyard with an extended warranty for close to $700 and put it in with a freind of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano04 View Post
    i have a 04 3.6l and the tranny is used in some 3 series its a 5speed hydramatic tranmission, shops dont like to rebuild so they will chrage you for it and just buy a used or salvage one and tell you its been rebuilt
    I stand corrected then

CadillacKid12 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 3.6L, Clear Fogs, 20" TV, Tints, Streeglow, V Bumper

mine just popped off today for the 2nd time

CadillacKid12 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 3.6L, Clear Fogs, 20" TV, Tints, Streeglow, V Bumper

nothing will happen to it if you let it sit w/ no fluid.. i went to school in florida for a month and got my radiator put in when i came back home... if you "rev"ed the hell out of your tranny w/ no fluid in it.. ur gonan have some problems.. im w/ ghettomike.. soon as i didnt move i knew wat it was and popped it in netural in the middle of a 4 way interseciton and pushed her aside... that one was the passenger side line where the gasket actually came off the radiator, today my driver side popped off and i just plugged that one in, due to the size of the nozzle tip on that side, i plugged it back in and had enough fluid to atlesat drive it in my garage.. im thinkin about trading her in and gettin a V.. im not sure yet.. this is the only problem ive had.. nuttin else wrong w/ her and i love her, its been a great car.. i just posted a new thread today about my issue.. keep reading that post and see if that helps w/ some of the replies

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.