Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  ice berg slim 
#1 ·
I just installed the Volant intake in my 3.6 and wow!

Definitely notice the bump in power, and the throttle response alone was worth the upgrade.
Slight change in tone, little bit deeper (not really any louder) and takes out some of the stock 'rasp' nastiness.

There is a slight drone around 1700-1800rpm, but its nothing annoying like a rice burner.
Acceleration is faster throughout, but one thing i really noticed was at highway speeds, i'd slow to 90km/h and give'er up to 140 and i was impressed with the pull the car had.

I was just sort of fluttering the gas pedal and oh man, did it sound great.

I was going to write up a DIY for the install but i just noticed there is already one in the caddy FAQ and it has everything needed i think... plus i couldnt wait to install it, so i did it in the freezing cold dark friday night.
i didnt drive much this weekend, and when i did, i was driving pretty hard so im not sure what MPG gains it achieved, but im going to drive normal this week and see what improvements it has.
I did get 12L/100km while driving hard, and i normally get about 11.4l/100km driving sensibly so im hoping it drops to about 11 or high 10's then when i get the summer tires back on and dont have cold starts/idle for 5 min it drops to low 10L/100km

i recommend this 100%, and i bought it from BigDaddyCaddy on ebay and i would recommend him 100% aswell.
Absolutely love upgrade...

See less See more
#6 ·
What's up Illmatik where you been?

I want a Volant CAI but i other things to get first. :crying::crying:

#9 ·
thanks, but i saw the FAQ and it was helpful. the fit was so tight and couldn't get the intake in right. I tried for about an hour or so and after a few bloody knuckles i gave up. i'll try something different later on. I think my car may have been in an accident, so it may a little off too.

#12 ·
I put one in too. I absolutely love it. I got about 2MPG increase, and the sound is just amazing. I love the "intake" sound it makes when you rev the engine!

Yeah, while accelerating slightly aggressively you can hear a low growl, I think it's awesome. Makes the car sound like a lion. However, if I accelerate like a "luxury" car, It's almost silent.

*Edit* Also, mine was a VERY tight install, too. I had several bloody knuckles and dinged up the plastic a bit, but after a LOT of coaxing, it gets in. My car WAS in an accident, though, minor front end (no frame damage,) before I bought it, not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it seems that most people have very tight installs.

#13 ·
I have an 05 3.5, and installed my Volant about 3 weeks ago. My air box went right in. Its a snug fit, but it fits perfect. I do get about 2 to 3 MPG more with it. Throttle response is way better, mid range and top end pull is noticeably better. Only downside was how long it took to get. I ordered it from Summit Racing, and they drop ship it from Volant in California. Took about a month and a half to receive, but it was worth the wait.

Nick

#14 ·
mine was tight going on the throttle body because the air duct and 3"x2" rubber sleeve interfered with the rad a bit. if you clamp the sleeve snug to the air duct (but still loose enough that you can spin the sleeve, but also snug enough it wont come off when try to get it over the throttle body). then try and get it on the top of the throttle body, since you are able to spin the sleeve, spin it so that the top part that is successfully on the throttle body faces down, then carefully (very carefully) using a slotted screw driver pried the rest of the sleeve over the throttle body opening.
do this with only the air duct clamp on
unscrew the throttle body clamp all the way so it separates, than put it over the sleeve, feed the end through the screw and tighten.

this is the part the took me the longest, and it still was only about 10min of dicking around

#25 ·
Wow u guys totally overlooked my $20 cai thread or just didn't like it....sounds better than the k&n, much cheaper and looks stock.

#26 · (Edited)
LOL...We like the MOD but it came after we shelled out the $$$. :bouncy::bouncy:

Scoundrel, did you end up installing your CAI or did you have someone do it for you. I ended up getting it in there after I put the CAI together and then took it apart and put it on piece by piece.

#27 ·
you guys just have to take you time installing it, it really isnt as hard as some of you are making it sound.. its sound like your trying to fit the square block in the triangle hole... use the method i did (spinning the rubber sleeve as you go) which was posted near the bottom on the first page (post #14)...

#32 ·
Can anyone explain what might be different from the 2006, 3.6 cts and the 2007 when it comes to installing a Volant CAI? I see several members have installed on their 2007 but all sites listing the Volant unit for sale, omit the 2007 saying it is not a fit??

Thanks!!

#34 ·
I installed mine on my lunch break at work some time ago. Out in the parking lot of a jewelry store, in my suit. Took me maybe 22 minutes, not a drop of blood wasted, not a curse to be uttered. Went in like it was made just for my car. Come to think of it, they are. What gives everyone so much trouble with this install? I thought it went together absolutely swimmingly.

Love the 1750-2000rpm growl. A little more responsiveness. And that is what makes it worth every penny. I cannot wait to pair it up with a RX throttle body. CAN NOT WAIT.

I have not noticed any change in gas mileage. If anything, it has probably went down because, as stated earlier, I love that growl... so I will rev it up to 2k driving around town all the time, just to hear it purr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.