I think my engine is shaking on my 2004 cts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, I think my engine is shaking on my 2004 cts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; hey guys, im new to these forums and i need a bit of help, earlier today i drove my car ...
    Master_Z32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

I think my engine is shaking on my 2004 cts

hey guys, im new to these forums and i need a bit of help, earlier today i drove my car around the block to the store and after i got back in my car after shoping, i noticed my car had this strange shake which i believe to be coming from somewhere in the engine, a bunch of lights started flashing also like the check engine light, after i started driving my car i noticed that the shake settled down quite a bit but only as i was moving, because i came to stops, the car started doing the shake again and the lights came on again, it doesnt really feel as if i lost any horsepower, but im worried that it might be a problem to drive the car right, the neighborhood i live in isnt the greatest and though i dont really have problems with anyone, there of still some that may be jeolous so im kinda scared that someone may put something in my gas or sumthing. please any insight or advice would be accepted, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Re: I think my engine is shaking on my 2004 cts

there could be multiple things that can be causing this. for starters, have you had any maintenance done recently? if so, let us know and that can help us help you. it could be what you assume, but it could be fouled out spark plugs or a piston not pumping as it needs or your throttle body might be extremely dirty and needs to be cleaned. or it could be other possibilities, but we need more information from you

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

you said that the check engine light flashed, it means its a misfire issue!

Tell us the code and we will try to help you.

Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base

I just started having the same issue. I recently had the valve cover gaskets replaced, spark plugs changed, tension pulley replaced, and throttle body cleaned. I thought it might be a dirty engine so I used seafoam in the oil, vacuum hose, and fuel tank. My car improved in other areas but my engine still shakes and check engine light still flashes at times.

Master_Z32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

well my dads pretty angry at the fact that my car isnt working right so he had it towed to a mechanic before i was even up this morning, but thanks for the replys

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

What year is your car? If it's an 03, then it def has the 3.2. And that engine is prone to problems. First for most the crank shaft position sensor will cause alot of problems. Including not being able to stay running or shaking as you discribed.
    Less than a $100 for the part, can be done by you as well.

KOT

Really KOT? Is this not a PCV Kit issue? I may just replace both. By chance would anyone here know the part # for the crank shaft position sensor? I'm attempting to get this repaired as soon as possible to begin my mods.

Thanks

teedoe...just go to you local parts store and by the CPS. it is usually around $50, but dont change it unless you are having the symptoms for it. give us your exact symptoms and we can help you from there...

Burning oil smell from vents, engine shaking at times when I come to a complete stop, and when I had the seafoam sucked thru the vaccum hose I noticed smoke coming from the left (when face the car) of the engine. Also sometimes the check engine light will flash on and off.

it is definitely not your CPS with those symptoms. i would try the PCV kit first...

Quote Originally Posted by Teedoe View Post
    Burning oil smell from vents, engine shaking at times when I come to a complete stop, and when I had the seafoam sucked thru the vaccum hose I noticed smoke coming from the left (when face the car) of the engine. Also sometimes the check engine light will flash on and off.
    Many times you said that your check engine light is flashing. Many time we ask you if you could give us the DTC code that the car is telling you.

A flashing check engine light means a missfire is occuring. If you can tell us the dtc code, we can help you find the problem because the check engine light is telling you: read me and I'll tell you the problem.

CTSRoller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS and 2010 CTS-V

My car is having similar problems as well. I get a flashing engine light and got a scanner to get the codes it's throwing. Three in all, they are (P0300) (P0306) and (P0304). I hope it's nothing too serious. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Okay. I will try the PCV kit and see if that works. I will also post the codes shortly. I have a number of them. Most will get fixed hopefully this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSRoller View Post
    My car is having similar problems as well. I get a flashing engine light and got a scanner to get the codes it's throwing. Three in all, they are (P0300) (P0306) and (P0304). I hope it's nothing too serious. Your input is greatly appreciated.
    i am not positive without looking them up, but those might be the cylinders misfiring. since it is 306 and 304, those would be the 4 and 6 cylinder having misfires...

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    i am not positive without looking them up, but those might be the cylinders misfiring. since it is 306 and 304, those would be the 4 and 6 cylinder having misfires...
    exactly! its the cylinder 4 and 6 that are misfiring.

Check the plugs, the gap on the plugs, coils and wires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.