Transmission coolant line came off Radiator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Transmission coolant line came off Radiator in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Half way home today I got a "Check Coolant System" warning. 10 minutes later I pulled into the driveway and ...
    Rekkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Transmission coolant line came off Radiator

Half way home today I got a "Check Coolant System" warning. 10 minutes later I pulled into the driveway and had a significant loss of power as I drove into the garage. When I got out of the car I heard something pouring out of the front of the car onto the floor.

The transmission coolant line that runs into the radiator at the bottom passenger side was hanging there with coolant running out of it. I noticed at the end of the neck or line there is a large bolt that has seperated from the rad. I've tried for over an hour to screw it back into the rad, but I can't see very well down there and don't know if something is broken. Just by feeling the spot on the rad it seems like it is in tack, but I don't know what condition the threads are in. The bolt connected to the transmission line is in perfect condition, no corrosion. But as hard as I try, the bolt will not go back onto the rad.

I'm guessing since the transmission line is a quick connect, the bolt is not suppose to come out... or go back in. Do I need a new radiator or should I try a little harder to get the bolt to screw back in? If I have to replace the rad, do I need to flush the transmission fluid as well as the radiator?

I'm terrible color blind, but all the fluid coming out of transmission fluid line appeared to be orange in color, it was not dirty or cloudy.

Thank for any help you guys can give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Re: Transmission coolant line came off Radiator

Well, I can tell you first hand this isn't cheap,and you are luckey its at your house.
    You need a new rad, and a new cooler line, then have the car towed to a dealer and have the tranny filled, or have a full tranny service(filter ,pan, gasket)
    Ill look for my thread I can't remember if I uploaded pics or not but its a lot more work than you would think to have the rad swapped.
    Some have got luckey and only needed a line replaced, but mine stripped the line and rad so I had to do both.
    Take a pic of fitting on the line.
    Is it connected in the center of the rad or towards the driver side? There are 2 lines(fluid in and fluid out)

Thanks for your reply. It's a 3.6L 2004. The line is on the passenger side. The line and bolt appear to be in fine condition. I don't know if this will help, but here it is...

Nick CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

I have heard of this happening to a few board members. Is this a defect in the radiator, or transmission lines? Did GM issue a TSB on this?

Nick

dup's Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Time for an external cooler!!! B&M, B&M, B&M.

yes, you can add in a external cooler for your tranny , but i found a new rad for mine for 250 ish so the cost of a external cooler plus then having to mount it somewhere else would have been a pain and almost the same $
    also that tranny line is broken, it is not a quick connect, i see the rubber gasket on it and that is suppose to be covered in metal i believe. lets see another angle on that fitting, there should be threads on it.
    DO NOT START YOUR CAR AND DO NOT REV THE ENGINE OR PUT IT IN GEAR
    that will be the end of your tranny.

The fitting has threads and an o-ring, both are in good condition.

Here's a pic of the rad, without removing it, this is the best photo I can get of the socket

hard to tell cus its blurry, but looks like the threads r squished a little or stripped, but you can still see them.
    you have to remember, it wont just spin off for no reason, this is a common problem that the rad stripps and in some cases the ras and fitting strip.

now before you start pullin anything appart, the other tranny cooler lines fitting does NOT spin, if you try to wrench it off it will break. i think the rad came with that fitting on it when i bought the new rad. so if you arent replacing the rad then be carefull.. i pumped the fluid , loosened the fitting the spun the rad to remove the fitting...had to take out the whole intake just to get more room .

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...hanks-tow.html

search and you will find more threads on this topic.

Thanks for the link ghettomike... this completely sucks.

No prob, sorry to be the 1 to give you the bad news.
    My suggustion is do the rad yourself, leave the lines tie them up, get a CAA or some sort of towing membership,( usually 1 tow is the cost of a 1 year mambership) take it to a dealer or garage you trust and have them put the new lines on and fill the tranny.
    There is a special tool to attach the fittings that some shops won't have.
    Good luck.

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

happened to me too while on the highway. It sucks but I just hope the new rad will hold up more than 60k miles!

I'm going to spray some primer on the fittings, should help protect it a little.
    My rad and lines had 130-140km on it when it happened, so it was due.

I have 140KM on it and it's treated me pretty well until now. I picked up an aftermarket rad for $340. I've decided to just have it towed and let the garage install it. $45 for the tow. The mixture of coolant on the garage floor is pink and I must have driven it (unknowingly) for a good 8 KMs like that. I don't have another car to drive, so I don't want to battle the rad install, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this one... I need a car. The tow driver couldn't find the "hook" for the bumper. He figured it should have been with the spare tire but it wasn't. The owners manual says nothing about a hook, so I didn't know where else to look for it. Anyway, I won't know how the tranny is until later this afternoon. I pray to Jebus she's ok.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.