2003 CTS 3.2 Serpentine Belt DIY
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 CTS 3.2 Serpentine Belt DIY in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; DIAGRAM To replace the serpentine belt on the 3.2 1. Reference the Diagram and locate the tension pulley ( top ...
    AmerLux is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

2003 CTS 3.2 Serpentine Belt DIY

DIAGRAM

To replace the serpentine belt on the 3.2
    1. Reference the Diagram and locate the tension pulley ( top most pulley on the passenger side, #4/the arrow A )

2. A ratchet is preferable however I used a 15mm wrench on the bolt in the center of the pulley.

3. Push like hell clockwise toward the driver’s side of the car to release tension and remove belt.

4. Use caution! Don't get your fingers caught between the belt and pulley.

5.. Like another member said if you’re doing the belt you may as well replace the tension pulley also. It was $8.00 and easy to replace.

5.. Using a ratchet or wrench loosen the bolt in the center of the tension pulley ( left-y loos-e ) , remove the old pulley while keeping the hardware.

6. Attach the new pulley using the hardware from the old ( right-y tight-e )

7. Reference the Diagram before attaching new belt. Notice where the belt goes on the pulleys.

8. Starting on the lowest pulley on the drives side attach the new belt.

9. The belt goes on the top or bottom of all the pulleys except #8 and #7 notice the "S" orientation you'll use to attach the belt here.

10. Leave the belt off #6 pulleys.

11. Push like hell clockwise toward the driver’s side of the car to release tension and attach the belt to the last pulley (#6 )

12. You’re finished. Congrats on saving hundreds of $$$
    Ikera and scooter05 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alconk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: 2003 CTS 3.2 Serpentine Belt DIY

AWESOME!!! Thankyou!!

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

amerlux did you copy that pic out of one of my threads or do you have the access to the GM database? lol

temmons is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Does anyone know what hardware the tension pulley would have from the factory? I'm attempting to replace my pulley but when I put it on it becomes very tight and I'm wondering if there is suppose to be a "washer" of some kind.

Thanks!

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I had a similar problem, I took it back to Autozone and explained it. They had a bearing from another vender and it worked fine. It seems these are common in GM engines.

03cts86monte is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS black on 20" Falken aviators, 1986 Monte Carlo.

i went ahead a change my belt and tensioner pulley, i went with all good year. goodyear gatorbelt, and goodyear pulley, there is a metal washer that bolts up to the pulley with the bolt. like i said i went with all goodyear, havnt heard a noise or havent had a problem since... im not so sure with the autozone crap. eventho i have 2 autozone mangers in my faimly, there parts are not the best. ACdelco all the way

chico is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 Caddy CTS

interesting...

temmons is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I ended up having to go to Advanced Auto Parts and talk with one of their guys. They had the pulley but had two different brands that Auto Zone did not offer. In the end, we found that the hole in the middle of the pulley was slightly to big on both the auto zone item and one of the advanced parts. I ended up purchasing the one that fit perfectly with the factory hardware and had no problem getting it back on.

vlbasten is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by temmons View Post
    I ended up having to go to Advanced Auto Parts and talk with one of their guys. They had the pulley but had two different brands that Auto Zone did not offer. In the end, we found that the hole in the middle of the pulley was slightly to big on both the auto zone item and one of the advanced parts. I ended up purchasing the one that fit perfectly with the factory hardware and had no problem getting it back on.
    is factory hardware the name of the store where u got it? thanks

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

vlbasten...Advanced Auto Parts is where he bought his parts from...and he was saying that the stuff he bought fit perfectly with the OEM (factory hardware)

thanks tx...
    is this tension pulley the same as the ones for timing belt?

Quote Originally Posted by temmons View Post
    Hi, i found two different pulleys on advanceautoparts web, could you please which one fits? thanks a lot

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_285386501___

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_542620458___

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

I could have used this a couple of weeks ago, except I would have needed tips on how to do it on the side of the highway with no tools . Was able to limp to the nearest garage that changed it within an hour for $120, so I can't really complain.

Cause of my failure (other than old age) was the bearing in the tensioner had seized, so definitely suggest you change that at the same time.

-GT

Amerlux, in your step 3 "Push like hell clockwise" you mean to turn it right?

WickedGoat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2/2004 GTO/2004 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by vlbasten View Post
    Amerlux, in your step 3 "Push like hell clockwise" you mean to turn it right?
    Yes, as you are facing the car, put your socket or wrench on the tensioner bolt and turn it to the right, towards the driver side of the car. The tensioner will swing and relieve the belt so you can remove it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.