How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; For those who does not want to spend $300 to be able to control your power outlets, cigarette lighters, with ...
    Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key.

For those who does not want to spend $300 to be able to control your power outlets, cigarette lighters, with the key.

Well here's a step by step, sort of.....

1) Open your favorite drink and enjoy it. Trust me, it will take you longer to consume your drink than it will to do this project.

2) Open your hood and remove the cover for the fuse box.

3) Locate the fuses pictured below. Their in the general area of the center of the box.

4) Choose which outlet you want always on, or on with the key.

5) Remove the fuse, and move it over one terminal.

6) Test the outlet to see if it acts the way that you want it.

7) Close the hood and enjoy a dead battery free weekend. :-)

From the diagram of the fuses on the bottom side of the cover. You can see that those two fuses are the only one's that have a "extra" rectangle painted on the end. That means that they can be moved over from their factory position. Which is in the always on.

Currently, my CTS is in the shop. So I can't really test this part out. Does the outlet really turn off with the key? Or does it act like the radio, where it turns off with the first door being open. Either way, it won't be on forever.

KOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Re: How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key

KOT, after my shower, its the first thing I'll try!

Thanks again for that great post! If you ever come to montreal, I'll pay you lunch (you helped me save 300$ so a 100$ lunch won't be a big deal) hehe.

I'll update later.

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

Re: How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key

stupid post alert: there are only 2 outlets right? which is why there are the two fuses... which also means that if i just move one of the fuses (for the outlet in the back seat) and leave the other at always on (dash outlet), the rear seat outlet will only work will the car is running where as the front outlet remains on at all times... this is correct?

im not sure why im overthinking such a simple concept, but my brain is trying to convince me there is more to it than that...

so i just attempted this, before i removed/ swapped any fuses i used one of those DC battery/ alternator readers that just plug into the outlet, both fronta dnr ear outlets reading normal. swap the 30A fuse, rear outlet now off, turn car on, rear outlet remains off. turn car off, swap other fuse (for front oulet) same deal, remains off even with car on, swap both fuses bck to factory, everything back to normal.. am i missing something? lol

Quote Originally Posted by andrewschenk View Post
    stupid post alert: there are only 2 outlets right? which is why there are the two fuses... which also means that if i just move one of the fuses (for the outlet in the back seat) and leave the other at always on (dash outlet), the rear seat outlet will only work will the car is running where as the front outlet remains on at all times... this is correct?

im not sure why im overthinking such a simple concept, but my brain is trying to convince me there is more to it than that...
    You confused the heck out of me. So I am just going to say this. There are only two outlets in our CTS's. The one in the dash and the one in the center console in the back seating area. Each has their own fuse as pictured above. Therefore, you are able to make the rear one always on and have the dash one on only with the car. Or the other way around. Or both always on, or on only with the car.

KOT

BlakGost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Exactly. I had to tap into the rear cig lighter 12+ when I installed my headrest monitors. Had to do the fuse swap because the monitors would stay on even when I turned the car off. Handy info...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    You confused the heck out of me. So I am just going to say this. There are only two outlets in our CTS's. The one in the dash and the one in the center console in the back seating area. Each has their own fuse as pictured above. Therefore, you are able to make the rear one always on and have the dash one on only with the car. Or the other way around. Or both always on, or on only with the car.

KOT
    lol yea i was confusing myself... but my second post, when i swapped the fuse for the rear outlet, it didnt work even with the car running

Quote Originally Posted by andrewschenk View Post
    so i just attempted this, before i removed/ swapped any fuses i used one of those DC battery/ alternator readers that just plug into the outlet, both fronta dnr ear outlets reading normal. swap the 30A fuse, rear outlet now off, turn car on, rear outlet remains off. turn car off, swap other fuse (for front oulet) same deal, remains off even with car on, swap both fuses bck to factory, everything back to normal.. am i missing something? lol
    Ha, you know what. I didn't see that posting, because I was typing out the other one.

But anyways, are you turning the car all the way on with the engine running and all that? Maybe you are turning just the accessories only.

KOT

nope i started it up

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

KOT, thanks a million!

I switched the fuse exactly like you said and its working great!

Very nice of you posting pictures, telling us how to do it and of course, not charging 300$ :P

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a minute......

You thanked me for not charging you $300 for this procedure...... BUT you did say "KOT, thanks a million!" So therefore, I'll give you my bank account information to directly send me that million. :-)

KOT

PS. Now go to your dealer and show them how to do this. Of course charge them $300

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

if you was to go to the dealer and tell them how to do that, they would probably tell you it is a bad idea and that those terminals werent meant for that...but then again, we all know they are wrong and just want your money...

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I actually like having the cigarette lighter working when the car is off. I charge my cell phone with the car parked all the time, hell its the only way I really charge it now days. Never have had a dead battery doing that.

Its pretty damn silly to have the car running in order to charge a cell phone IMO.

afterdigital is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 05

wow, thanks kot!

hmm seems to be working just fine for everyone else, i'll give it another try but i dont see how it could change my outcome

1. moved 30A fuse over
    2. start car
    3. test outlet
    4.outlet not working
    5. move fuse back to norm
    6. outlet works again all the time

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.