How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Kingoftypos For those who does not want to spend $300 to be able to control your power ...
    chevyhighperformance is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    For those who does not want to spend $300 to be able to control your power outlets, cigarette lighters, with the key.

Well here's a step by step, sort of.....

1) Open your favorite drink and enjoy it. Trust me, it will take you longer to consume your drink than it will to do this project.

2) Open your hood and remove the cover for the fuse box.

3) Locate the fuses pictured below. Their in the general area of the center of the box.

4) Choose which outlet you want always on, or on with the key.

5) Remove the fuse, and move it over one terminal.

6) Test the outlet to see if it acts the way that you want it.

7) Close the hood and enjoy a dead battery free weekend. :-)

From the diagram of the fuses on the bottom side of the cover. You can see that those two fuses are the only one's that have a "extra" rectangle painted on the end. That means that they can be moved over from their factory position. Which is in the always on.

Currently, my CTS is in the shop. So I can't really test this part out. Does the outlet really turn off with the key? Or does it act like the radio, where it turns off with the first door being open. Either way, it won't be on forever.

KOT

This is too complicated - couldn't you find a simpler way?

Just kidding - great info

Thanks!
    Tony Dehnke and Tony Dehnke like this.

blackcaddycts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS, 2005 CTS Sport & Luxury Pack.

Re: How to: change the outlets l from being on all the time, to being on with the key

I tried it for the front outlet and it DID NOT work. I even started the car.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

For those where it's not working, what year is your cts? Just wondering if it could a year that gm screwed up.
    Although, I'm glad it works for the most part on others.

KOT

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

i have an 06 3.6 sport/lux package

doclobster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

I have an 2005 base model with the 2.8. I tried doing this when I first got the car and it didn't work for me either. I have read that it doesn't work in all cars - and I just chalked mine up to being Canadian.

Well now I am wondering if mine works as I stated it should. I'll find out when I get my car back next week.

Although, if it doesn't. I am sure that I could find a way safely and using the fuses. Yeah, there maybe some wires or what not. But at least they will work the with the key. I am almost certain there are some things in that fuse box that is only powered up while the car is powered up. But is powered off when the car is off.

KOT

akt32990 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I have an 04 3.2L cts and it didnt work for me. I switched the terminals turn the engine on...all the way. That equalled not working, switched it back it was back to working all the time.

Hows this for a slap in my face. I write this thread, with my car in the body shop. So I was only able to take the picture and not test it. Well I just tested it and it does not work either. Even though I can clearly see metal terminals in all three sockets. Anyways, I have an 06 2.8 with the sports luxury package. Weird gm would do that, or not rather. Ha

KOT

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

after testing it for a couple of days before sending my car to the paint shop for a full paint job, the front outlet is working only with the key at the on position but the back outlet works all the time. If I change the fuse to the other place, the back outlet doesn't work at all.

At least, KOT, you helped me for the front outlet!

And now I have to find a way for mine to work with the key. Though it's dark and raining right now and I'm 5 hours away from my tools. lol so I'll find out tomorrow or next week.

KOT

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The reason it is not working, is that you have to put a relay in the empty socket. GM, in its infinite wisdom, decided to leave it out.

You can get the relay from gmpartsdirect.com, part # 12177234. I got mine from Pepboys, part # R3109. Once you put the relay in, moving the fuses will then work as KOT showed above.

Well I moved a relay to that spot. Starter to be exact, but it didn't work for me. Neither the front or rear outlet. Yes, there are metal pins in there as well. So I don't know what is going on. Perhaps I could snag some switched power for this project.

KOT

eXistinZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

Well that additional relay fixed the issue. The outlets stay on for ~5 minutes before shutting off. I got my relay from autozone for $21 shipped. The part number is 19263 on their website, or you can just cross reference 12177234.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Of note for others: they stay on for 5-10 minutes no matter what. Even when you open the doors, close and lock etc.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

I know this is an old thread but, I need help. I dont have any relays in the headlamp washer and the center relay. I bought the relay and put it in the center spot. The fuse box says spare on it. My outlet does not work when i switch it to power on when the key is in ignition. HELP!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.