Just installed K&N for 3.2L
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Just installed K&N for 3.2L in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Just installed the K&N aircharger for the 3.2L cts got it off ebay for 120$ plus shipping. Cruising/Idle sound is ...
    jbl16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just installed K&N for 3.2L

Just installed the K&N aircharger for the 3.2L cts got it off ebay for 120$ plus shipping. Cruising/Idle sound is stock, hard acceleration brings a loud growl
    Engine feels a lot more responsive and no idle bog! Here are the pics
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Talking Re: Just installed K&N for 3.2L

Ignore the dusty engine, it wasnt worth cleaning it up for the pic since its raining so much down here in Miami right now

1500cc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS

Re: Just installed K&N for 3.2L

Not to rain on your parade, but K&N air filters are not good for your car. They allow far too much dirt past (as proven by high silicon numbers in oil analyses done on cars running K&Ns).

Cool Re: Just installed K&N for 3.2L

Most hi-performance replacement filters are from KN or made from the same medium. I doubt that with proper cleaning and oiling it would pose a threat to the engines, or K&N would have been out of business a long time ago.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by 1500cc
    Not to rain on your parade, but K&N air filters are not good for your car. They allow far too much dirt past (as proven by high silicon numbers in oil analyses done on cars running K&Ns).
    I researched K&N filters throughly before buying one for my Grand Marquis. The oil is held in suspension in the cotton gauze and actually is more effective(supposedly) at trapping dust and dirt than a typical pulp and paper element. Dust just sticks to it, and stays on the outside of the element. In a paper element, dust and dirt get suspended throughout the element and is much more restrictive in the long run.

That looks great in your car! Are you concerned about warrenty coverage? I suppose it's ok if you are doing it. I noticed quite a difference with just the simple panal filter. I got a little better gas mileage with it.

p.s. Maybe your element needs some oil? There shouldn't be any white spots or the media may not be filtering. I kept mine a nice deep red color.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Quote Originally Posted by 1500cc
    I'm not so sure I'd go so far to say they're 'not good for your car'. For every study that says it's bad, I'm willing to bet you'll find one that says its better than paper (just ask K&N, lol). As an engineer and gear-head, I personally tend to be biased towards performance and I've run the K&N panel filters on all of my cars for the past 15 years. I had one on my last Jeep Grand Cherokee for over 200,000 miles, and it was still going strong when it was totaled by an 18 wheeler two months ago. (which incidentally freed me up to buy my CTS). Personally, I'll take the one, or so, MPG gain in the long haul that always seem to come with these filters. An internal combustion engine is simply a big air pump. The more airflow one can get, by reducing parasitic losses such as restricted inlets and exhaust, the more efficient the engine becomes. An engine that peaks at 6000 RPM likes to breathe!

They've also been used on very high performance race cars for many, many years. They definitely flow more air than a paper filter. I suppose any performance mods can be viewed as 'not good for your car' if you want to keep it like the factory intended, but remember, the factory doesn't necessarily tune for maximum performance, but to keep costs as low as possible, and to cater to the status quo. Everything is a trade-off in engineering and manufacturing for volume sales.

I'm sure if you tear down an engine after 100,000 miles you will find more wear (all other things being equal) on one with a cotton filter as opposed to a paper one, but I argue that there are many other variables that can cause just as much (or much more) wear, such as ignoring regular oil and filter changes, or stop-light drag racing all of the time.

It's most definitely a 'to each is own' decision, but then again, I like to drive my car, not pamper it, and I want the most out of it. Many of us (IMHO) don't keep cars for more than 5 or 6 years before styles change and they get handed down to a teenager (who will likely drive it into the dirt), or traded in .

Incidentally, I just installed a Fram AirHog with the TonyA mods to my airbox, this past weekend. I definitely noticed a smoother bottom end, with only a noticeable growl at WOT. Did I say I was biased towards more performance?

Naturally there's going to be a wide variety of opinions on this subject. We all know how to Google so I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions. But I've done a fair bit of reading on this and in most studies it's pretty clear that K&N allows too much dirt to pass. The stupid thing is, they don't often flow much (if any) better than a good quality paper element like ACDelco. Don't believe all the K&N advertising hype.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_p...642&PN=1&TPN=4

The filter is completely red, it came pre oiled from the factory, I guess the flash makes it look a little whiter

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a claim that cotton gauze filters stop more, or finer, dirt but they do tend to flow air much better than paper. The trade is finer filtering vs. airflow. The study that you referred to concludes just that. While the best paper filter (AC Delco filters) have a filter efficiency of 99.93% vs. 96.8% for the K&N, it flows the worst of those tested, with a flow restriction 6.23 inches of water, vs. K&Ns 4.54 (37% better flow). I definitely agree with you that paper filters clean much better. But for airflow (i.e. more power and better fuel efficiency), the cotton gauze looks pretty good.

The study appears to be done for diesel trucks that regularly put 500,000 miles on an engine before a rebuild. Air particulate filtration is definitely the highest priority there. Now if they could identify the ‘Mystery Bargain Filter’ that they tested, we’d all be golden!

Even if the K&N flows better, the question is, does it matter? Perhaps the paper filters are already flowing plenty enough for the engine.

Case in point: in my f-body days, some guys would go down the dragstrip with no filter whatsoever thinking that they might be gaining a bit of power. Well, a magazine (I forget which one) dyno tested an f-body with the stock ACDelco filter and then tested it again with no filter at all. The result was less than 1 RWHP gain, something well within the margin of error. That leads to the question, why would anyone want to install a K&N only to ingest more dirt and make no more power?

Well for one thing the 3.2L airbox is extremely restrictive air only goes through a little hole on the side. During hot florida days the engine tends to bog down a lot affecting its acceleration and performance (probably due to lack of air at Idle). Since I installed the aircharger I havent noticed any idle bog. Anyways the sound is an added bonus since I'm all for performance sound.

P.s. Wednesday I'll go install the corsa cat-back exhaust on my cts, I'll post some pics afterwards.

Ah, but the real problem is an addiction to tinkering (all engineers have this addiction) to get just that little bit more out of anything. Either leave it alone and do it like the factory wanted it, or tinker. Regardless of studies, measurements, test results or papers written on the subject, I have always gotten between half and one MPG better by switching to a high flow air filter.

When combined with a high flow exhaust the results can be amazing. My '87 Jeep Cherokee went from 21 mpg to 24 mpg on the highway (routine 400 mile weekly trip for business) by switching to a Dynomax Cat-back exhaust and K&N panel filter. Total investment was $125 for both! My '94 Grand Cherokee (5.2l V8, 4" lift, and bigger tires) went from 17.5 to 18.8 mpg on the same trip, with a high flow cat, high flow (single) exhaust, and a K&N panel filter. With gas at $2.00/gal here in Virginia, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I've done this to two Jeeps, two BMW's, a Yukon, and now my CTS. If the full dual exhausts weren't priced so high, I'd be replacing that to. Bang for the buck, though, it's not quiet worth it. The $45 Fram AirHog (with the TonyA Airbox mods), on the other hand is a bargain, and will pay likely for itself in gas savings in less than six months for me (I put 2500 miles a month on my car). It has made a noticeable difference in the low end (when the engine demands little airflow, ironically), and I can give you results on the highway MPG in another month or so, after I've put four or five of my weekly commutes Southern VA to DC.

There will always be a debate as to which is 'better', but I'm addicted to tinkering, and always have been (I tweak all of my cars suspensions and engines, sail racing yachts on the weekends, designed and built an embedded GPS receiver for a nav system in my Jeep, which is now in my CTS, build and overclock all of the computers at home and at the office, raced an SCCA MG Midget in my youth, etc.). Getting the last bit of performance out of anything is in my blood. I'm sure I'm not alone. It's an addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by jbl16
    Well for one thing the 3.2L airbox is extremely restrictive air only goes through a little hole on the side. During hot florida days the engine tends to bog down a lot affecting its acceleration and performance (probably due to lack of air at Idle).
    That's a different topic. Most cars' airboxes are restrictive nowadays due to sound regulations, but that has nothing to do with the filter medium.

1500cc,

jbl16's original post of the K&N gets rid of both the airbox, and the paper filter. The original factory airbox is designed fairly well for reducing intake noise, but the intake port in the fender is blocked in a major way. The alternative is the inexpensive TonyA mods which open a second 'cold air' port on the front of the airbox. By drilling out about 70 holes (three-eights to half inch) in the housing in front of the filter, one relieves most restrictions in airflow, at the expense of some noise. The Volante and K&N systems replace the whole airbox.

Actually the TonyA airbox mods lend themselves very nicely to a stock paper filter. Now you've piqued my curiosity. After a month or so of the AirHog, I'll reinstall a paper filter to see if I notice any performance/mileage affects. The restriction just may be more attributed to the airbox, and not necessarily the filter. I agree with you in that the better filtration of a paper filter is more desirable, if it's not the restrictive element in the intake system, reducing performance.

By my rough calculations (neglecting any inefficiencies), the stock filter has to flow at least 340 cfm at WOT to not be a restriction. It actually may do just that, especially if you use the whole filter and not just the center 3 inches with the stock unmodified airbox.

I'd really like to see the combined results from jbl16 with his new exhaust AND the intake. Has anyone dyno-tested (before and after) their CTS with these mods yet?

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    jbl16's original post of the K&N gets rid of both the airbox, and the paper filter.
    True, although we had kinda veered off into a discussion about filter media. F-bodies had the same restrictive setup and a simple $100 "lid" would net almost 10 RWHP. However changing (or getting rid of) the filter alone would gain pretty much nothing.

Is the intake the same on the 3.6 as it is on your 3.2? The only possible drawback may be the possibility of water getting into the airbox through your new holes, something a paper filter may not like so much.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.