Just installed K&N for 3.2L - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Just installed K&N for 3.2L in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I don't know if the airboxes are the same part number or not for the 3.2 and the 3.6 (Miscreant?). ...
    odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Re: Just installed K&N for 3.2L

I don't know if the airboxes are the same part number or not for the 3.2 and the 3.6 (Miscreant?). When I gutted the 'paper' filter to make room for the AirHog in the frame, I found that it was not really 'paper' but some very strong fiber based medium (polyester fiber?). It was a real bear to get all of it out from the glued edges (took almost 2 hours to cut with a razor knife and sand smooth). This was the factory filter (6500 miles) that came on my car. Incedentally the dirt was restricted to a ~4" diameter circle in the center, due to the design of the stock airbox.

Since the second airbox feed is hidden behind the headlight assembly and front bumper, there is probably no more chance that water will get I than with only the stock feed hole in the inner fender. If it does, I think the effects would be temporary as the filter would be quickly 'dried' by the volume of air being sucked in from a hot engine. I don't think it would damage the media. It appeared to be some kind of synthetic material (and fairly dense for an air filter, IMHO).

Also, I think the Volant system (and a modified stock airbox) has an advantage over the K&N system in that it has an enclosed airbox, with little chance of sucking in hot air from under the hood. I'm not sure how well the K&N system seals from that hot air, given that it relies on the hood for the top of the 'air box'. It looks from the pictures that the rear is still somewhat open. The key to increasing efficiency here (as we all no doubt know), is not just higher flow (from less intake restriction), but cooler air.

pulsch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Also, I think the Volant system (and a modified stock airbox) has an advantage over the K&N system in that it has an enclosed airbox, with little chance of sucking in hot air from under the hood. I'm not sure how well the K&N system seals from that hot air, given that it relies on the hood for the top of the 'air box'. It looks from the pictures that the rear is still somewhat open. The key to increasing efficiency here (as we all no doubt know), is not just higher flow (from less intake restriction), but cooler air.
    After installing a Borla "true cat-back" (seperate pipes from each cat) dual exhaust system and a Volant airbox, the mileage of my 3.2 automatic increased by 3 or so mpg. Performance is better and the low exhaust tone sounds very aggressive at full throttle.
    Attached Images

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

A bit of B.S. in this thread. I installed the K&N charger but removed it. Why? It has no real air box. The seals are lousy and it sucks in to much engine compartment air. I sold it to a guy in the Forum. He has since removed it and went to the Volant

I know have the Fram AirHog in my factory box. The Box was modified to flow more air. I have the 3.6 and I'm telling you there is a noticable difference.

kylerk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: Just installed K&N for 3.2L

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    I know have the Fram AirHog in my factory box. The Box was modified to flow more air. I have the 3.6 and I'm telling you there is a noticable difference.
    What modification did you make?

K

Quote Originally Posted by kylerk
    What modification did you make?

K
    Check out this thread. It shows the airbox mods.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...light=Air+Mods

jbl16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The seals on the 3.2 K&N look and feel secure as I was installing them and with the hood down the filter is pretty much sealed from engine heat with the supplied shield. Some people like the volant, others the K&N and others mod the airbox its just about prefference I dont see any "B.S." in this...

Quote Originally Posted by jbl16
    The seals on the 3.2 K&N look and feel secure as I was installing them and with the hood down the filter is pretty much sealed from engine heat with the supplied shield. Some people like the volant, others the K&N and others mod the airbox its just about prefference I dont see any "B.S." in this...
    Heres a test for you. Put a film of vaseline or such along the rubber seals. You should have a vaseline imprint on the bottom of the hood and other contact points. I didn't. Maybe you'll get a better fit. But even then your air a best is coming through a 3" hole...right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.