My 2005 CTS has a whine....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, My 2005 CTS has a whine.... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; At about 50 - 58 MPH, the rear differential whines. I hope I am not having problems already....
    jrcase is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 2005 CTS has a whine....

At about 50 - 58 MPH, the rear differential whines. I hope I am not having problems already.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: My 2005 CTS has a whine....

take that puppy in! it's a bullsh** hassle but at least you're covered under waranty.

I just hate the idea of some mechanic ripping apart the rear end. The darn car only has 400 miles on it. Geez!

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

If it doesn't get a lot louder in a real hurry it's not a hypoid gear set failure. The quick test is to run a small magnet around in the bottom of the rear end housing and see how much metal powder sticks to it. If you look at a drawing depicting the cross section of the gear teeth meshing, in a plane normal to the tooth contact you will observe a gear tooth shape that is almost a sawtooth. The buttress side is the drive side and the slope side is the over run side. That is why the loudest noise from a failed hypoid gear set comes on the over run or coast. Drive the car accelerating and deccelerating between 35 and 50 MPH in a lower gear to give greater engine braking. If the noise is much more pronounced on the coast it is probably gear noise. If not it is most likely to be tire noise. A real hypoid gear set failure is not something that is difficult to diagnose. If you stand on the curb you can hear the car approaching from two blocks away. You might ask yourself why anyone would use a rear end gear with such a weird tooth contact. The hypoid gear set was a major breakthrough in automotive engineering in the 1930's that allowed the drive shaft to be lowered thus allowing the car to be lowered by minimizing an obtrusive tunnel down the middle of the floor. Until that time everybody used a spiral bevel gearset like that employed by Ford all the way up to the late 40's and much later than that by Volkswagon. More than one mechanic installed the spiral bevel gear set upside down and wound up with multiple reverse gears and one forward.

That was very informative, thanks. I just drove the car again and the noise is more noticeable at a SLIGHT accelerating with the throttle. The whine is there at slower speeds too (20 mph on up). The throttle has a spot that makes the rear most load. It is not the tires.

Oh no..... I read this thread: Cadillac still denying rear differential problems????

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    The quick test is to run a small magnet around in the bottom of the rear end housing and see how much metal powder sticks to it.
    FYI - the CTS has a magnetic drain plug. There's a picture of my drain plug and the crap I cleaned off it during my lube change last week --> Diff Lube How-to

A word about the metallic paste on the magnetic drain plug. If it's stuck on the plug it's not circulating.

Planning on changing the lube in a few months again and I'm curious to see the difference on the mag plug.

billsCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You are not in this boat by yourself! It is a continuing problem. Some dealers will repair but many have said it is normal for the CTS which is BS!

airbalancer is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Do not let the wife(or girlfriend in the car) and there will not whine lol

caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7

Quote Originally Posted by billsCTS
    You are not in this boat by yourself! It is a continuing problem. Some dealers will repair but many have said it is normal for the CTS which is BS!
    So it's still a problem in 2005? :disappoin I thought they would have fixed the rear diff probs for the new cars.

Anything to say that once fixed, the rear diff will run smoothly without whining?

According to the TV ad, get a new fan belt from Rick's Auto Parts.

After doing research on this, it seems like most people have the "whine/howl". Anyone on here not have the loud rear differential? How did oyu break the car in? Slow and easy? or Hard and fast?

No whine @ 2350 miles. Broke the CTS-V in relatively hard and definitely faster than the owner's manual "recommends."

Drove the car off the dealer's lot and proceded to drive ~320 miles at 70-75 mph for the trip home. My wife drove the car the entire trip and I made her do some good, near full-throttle roll-ons in 2nd and 3rd gear down some freeway on ramps.

What's your dealer say about the whine?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    No whine @ 2350 miles. Broke the CTS-V in relatively hard and definitely faster than the owner's manual "recommends."

Drove the car off the dealer's lot and proceded to drive ~320 miles at 70-75 mph for the trip home. My wife drove the car the entire trip and I made her do some good, near full-throttle roll-ons in 2nd and 3rd gear down some freeway on ramps.

What's your dealer say about the whine?
    The service advisor said to bring it in. I asked if this was a common problem to see what he would say. He said he has had a few cars that had a howl and they replaced the whole differential. He said it was far from common, however. My fear is that I will go through the swap and get the same part with the same result. I have read on these forums that GM has made a new and improved differential (different part number) but my dealer knew nothing of this. NOT a good sign. Also, I worry about the BRAND NEW CAR being taken apart and not be the same afterwards. It is nice and tight and rattle free now and I want to keep it that way. I hate this.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.