Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone ever catch air?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  70eldo 
#1 ·
So today I'm driving in an area that I'm not in much and some guy cut me off. So naturally I hopped in the other lane and punched it, not realizing the train tracks a few hundred feet in front of me. I didnt slam on my breaks hard cuz they didn't look like it had a crazy slope. Boy was I wrong! I deffinatly went airborn and bottomed out my car. Dont see any damage though, as I landed pretty level.... I just punched it still afterwards though to get away from the guy to make it seem like i did it on purpose. It must have looked pretty crazy from his angle lmao.... Anyone ever do something simalar?

I have been airborn in a car before though a couple times.... But that was on purpose.

#2 ·
I had a simial situation with a Camaro. Late for a plane, the RR crosing lights came on and I floored it, and left the ground just over the tracks. My passenger didn't have his seat belt on and his head hit the ceiling when we came down. It was pretty exciting but as I look back, pretty foolish, that's how all those teens get on the nightly news.

#3 ·
My first car was a 94 Fleetwood and I can't even count the number of times I jumped that thing. There was only two occasions where it wasn’t intentional. Both times a “DIP” sign was hidden behind a tree. The second time the back end sprung up so much I rode along the front bumper for a few feet. God that car could take a beating, it could take a curb @ 50 mph full throttle.

#4 ·
I went airborne in a Ford Mondeo Wagon some years ago.

I went home from a late night work and had to drive through polder roads. To give you an idea, here is an aerial pic:

As you can see, the water level is almost at land level. Typical for polders. Therefore the bridges over these de-watering canals (or ditches) are pretty steep sometimes. In the background of the picture you can see such a road.

Anyway, this is a pretty scenic route, but at night it is pitch dark. The max speed is 50 mph, but you really need to slow down for those bridges. At this night however, eventhough I knew where the bridges are, I missed this steepest one. I expected it a little later, but was surprised when I was launched going 50 mph over the bridge that pretty much acted as an 8 foot launch ramp. I guess I never touched the top horizontal of the bridge and landed at the bottom of the other side ramp of the bridge. In could see sparkes flying behind me over the road in my mirror (which was actually a cool view) from the metal of the cars bottom as it scraped the road.
The car still handled well and I drove it home. Next day I could see some scratches on bolts heads on the bottom, but nothing major.

#6 ·
That's an interesting landscape, Martin. Are those canals used for irrigation?
For irrigation as well, but mainly to de-water the land. The canals are all connected and they pump the excess water out into a river or into the sea behind the dikes. A polder is land won from water (check out wikipedia ;) ) by putting a ring dike around water and pump the water out. Since Holland is a giant delta area of major rivers (like Rhine, Maas, Yssel) Holland consisted of a lot of islands that way and there were a lot of lakes. They started connecting these islands and emptying the lakes by poldering somewhere in the 1300's.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.