My dual exhaust install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By Kingoftypos
  • 2 Post By Kingoftypos
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, My dual exhaust install in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Well as most of you know, the 2.8 liter engine does not come with a dual exhaust. Nor does GM ...
    Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

My dual exhaust install

Well as most of you know, the 2.8 liter engine does not come with a dual exhaust. Nor does GM say that one will fit. Well I beg to differ, well to a point. The "new" exhaust came from an 04 3.6 liter CTS, thanks to a forum member. There was one bracket missing, and of course the rear bumper wasn't cut out for dual. Which I am glad that GM made the bumper that way, I hate seeing cars on the road that has a bumper that allows dual exhaust, but there is only a single, it's the dumbest thing I've seen on cars.

The original plan to cut out the bumper was to use a torch to heat up a blade, but when the blade came out of the handle, things changed. So we used a disk cutter, and a barrel to sand down the edge and match as close as possible the curvature to the other.

I still can't believe how we got the pipes together considering how we cut them. Just picture a V cut half way. The upper part of the V comes down from the manifold, then the O2 sensor and we just cut right after the bend of the pipe. So we have a straight part to deal with. We used slugs inside the pipe for a good fit. The lower part of the V is the new exhaust, so just try to put those into each other. It is not the easiest thing in the world to do. Specially since none of the pipes have any give. But it just so happened that a third person showed up at that moment (we did this after hours), so it took us 10 minutes or so.

I'll take a picture of the finish look during the day tomorrow, which I thought that I did already. But here are a few shots of the progress of installing it.

She sounds a bit different, there's a very little deeper tone to it now. As far as performance, hmmmmm there is a bit more power. I have noticed that at some hills in my area that I know that it down shifts. Well on those hills, she did not down shift any more. It could be because of the exhaust, computer being reset(battery disconnected) or both.

KOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Re: My dual exhaust install

looks good...i am glad to see things went well...and we want more pics of the final install with the cutout

Well this is the best that I could do in a short amount of time. It's not exactly perfect, but good enough. Besides I had the camera like a foot of the ground. So unless there is a very short person behind me, they won't really notice.

KOT

SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.

misselle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

That looks awesome!!! I would love to do that to my car. Oh and I have never seen that color CTS around my area, it is beautiful!!

Oh well, thank you. Did you check out the reverse lights?

You don't have dual exhaust either? Hmmm with all your knowledge in sporting a car up, I would of thought that you would of bought a CTS with dual exhaust already.

KOT

misselle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Oh well, thank you. Did you check out the reverse lights?

You don't have dual exhaust either? Hmmm with all your knowledge in sporting a car up, I would of thought that you would of bought a CTS with dual exhaust already.

KOT
    I did see the reverse lights, I like them too, I was just excited to see how you modified your exhaust to accomidate the two pipes.
    I don't have dual exhaust, I bought my car cause it was shiny and black and had big wheels.
    I know a little about cars, but no where near as much as some of you do, this forum motivated me to become a motorhead again.

Well it was pretty straight forward. Only two pieces of plastic had to be cut. Obviously the rear bumper, and some sort of shield at the rear right tire. If you compare the left shield to the right shield, you can tell that the left shield indents just a little to make room for the muffler, while the right one does not. Because there isn't a muffler there, well on mine there is now, so that had to be cut.

Other than that, it was cutting the pipes to line up and all. I also have to wait for the bracket on the right side, again since there wasn't a muffler there, the bracket wasn't there. In total, this install cost me around $100. I love having friends in the shops, specially since he's an assistant manager. :-)

KOT

afterdigital is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 05

@kingoftypos

i had to hijack your thread here - your mailbox is full and won't accept new messages

Let me know when you place the grill on ebay

thanks

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Nice picture of the underbelly. I need a few pictures like that for my book.

chcts05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS 2.8L 6spd.

I have actually just done this swap on my CTS. I got a full cat back CTS-V for my 2.8 and did the swap on a saturday morning at work.
    Ran into the same issues..only one hanger and cutout on rear bumper.
    I actually used the stock secondary pipes coming off the cats that came on my car, and cut them off about 3 inches after o2 sensors and did the same on the CTS-V exhaust. Slid my pipes inside the new exhaust, mounted where I wanted it, threw a few tack welds to hold it, dropped the system, and finished welding it up.
    It didn't do much for the sound, but make it look a lot better.

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Looks good Robert.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.