AC Delco Battery replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, AC Delco Battery replacement in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello to all. I'm a newbie who just bought a 2006 Cadillac CTS - 2.8 L. The existing AC Delco ...
    Enthralled is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

AC Delco Battery replacement

Hello to all. I'm a newbie who just bought a 2006 Cadillac CTS - 2.8 L.

The existing AC Delco battery is 4 years old and with winter just around the corner here in frigid Manitoba, I would like to buy a non-Delco replacement battery because I just don't like paying a GM dealership $250.

The problems: The existing Delco battery has a battery blanket with the top cover tied down to its front side with a velcro strip. The location of the battery is at the top left corner just under the hood. The battery has its two terminals on the front of the battery facing me and not at the top like most car batteries. I'm not sure if I bought a non-Delco battery if the:

(1) existing cable connectors to the terminals are long enough for a top connection rather than a side connection, and

(2) top terminals of the brand new battery might touch the underside of the metal hood thus 'shorting' the battery.

Can anyone here see any dangers in what I am proposing to do?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Re: AC Delco Battery replacement

first off, welcome to the forums...

now there are many threads on this same topic. a few people have been able to but a new battery in with the top terminals connected and everything just fine. i am not positive which batteries they went with, but it is possible. but to let you know, there are other battery brands out there that also have side battery terminals that are non AC Delco...

erik soelseth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 2,8 l

I haven't measured the clearance, But GM didn't put this battery in for fun. I Expect that you run the risk of shorting yore battery using one with top poles. And that wouldn't be fun. The battery can explode or you get a fire.
    Erik

cabbagepatchelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

I don't know what state you're in, but by me you can buy delco batteries from certain parts stores without having to go to a dealership.

Enthralled is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchelvis View Post
    I don't know what state you're in, but by me you can buy delco batteries from certain parts stores without having to go to a dealership.
    -----------

Thank you to all for your responses and for welcoming me as a newbie here.

I phoned all the battery stores and none of them carry AC Delco. It seems that GM has a stranglehold monopoly here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

OK, being that the hood has practically zero clearance between its underside and the top surface of the new battery terminals, I must go with a non-Delco battery with side terminals (which are hard to find). The Sears Diehard batteries are also terminals. The Wal-Mart Eveready batteries I was told by the Wal-Mart guy won't do for a Cadillac 2006 CTS.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

dont let them tell you a certain battery will or wont work over the phone. you should probably go and look at it and verify for yourself. a few other people have been told that certain batteries wouldnt work, they bought them anyways and the battery worked like a champ...

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

So the moral of this thread. If the shoe fits, wear it.

If the replacement battery is the same dimentions, within a certain tolerance, side terminals and above 660CCA. Then it will work.

KOT

jonboy193 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

yea I went to walmart and crappy tire and eyeballed up a few "group 78" side terminal batteries, they are a very close size ( there's no reason to buy a top terminal one) , it installed perfectly and the car starts better than ever, don't overcomplicate this, it's just a battery.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Maybe it was just my car, but I needed a battery with about 800 CCA. When the engine is hot and you try to start it the 660 CCA was giving me intermittent start problems.

mjs0202 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

I prefer to let the battery die and get the AAA battery service to replace it. They only charge about $40 more than picking one up yourself: and they come to your house, change it, replace corroded leads and give a 6 year warranty.

viking2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Sport

Cool Re: AC Delco Battery replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post

The existing AC Delco battery is 4 years old and with winter just around the corner here in frigid Manitoba, I would like to buy a non-Delco replacement battery because I just don't like paying a GM dealership $250.

The problems: The existing Delco battery has a battery blanket with the top cover tied down to its front side with a velcro strip. The location of the battery is at the top left corner just under the hood. The battery has its two terminals on the front of the battery facing me and not at the top like most car batteries. I'm not sure if I bought a non-Delco battery if the:

(1) existing cable connectors to the terminals are long enough for a top connection rather than a side connection, and

(2) top terminals of the brand new battery might touch the underside of the metal hood thus 'shorting' the battery.

Thank you.
    After posting on this forum about a battery replacement, i decided to go with the Die Hard gold. Had it installed Sun. fit is perfect except for the cover. battery and install $130.00.

freddo213 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS SPORT/LUXURY PACKAGE

i bought an AC DELCO battery for $135. couldnt find any other replacement battery at the moment. went to kragen (chucks) and autozone and they both told me it was unavailable. called every auto parts in town and had to special order.

McPolo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

Auto Zone now has a replacment batt for the cts, its part no 101DLG price is 129.00 They charge that high price because its Cad CTS specfic, the good news is they have another batt thats the same exact size, but even a better batt, for less money part no 78DLG 89.00 Three year free replacment, 1000 CCM 800CCM at 0 degrees, and 110 Reserve Power.. Fantastic Batt, better that AC Delco..

corpsemangler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS, '97 Z24

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post

Thank you.
    hey man im from winnipeg too! winter sucks... anyways i was thinking about getting an optima battery for my CTS they have both top and side posts so aslong as the battery isnt too tall i think thats what im gonna replace the AC Delco one with... i've got an optima redtop in my cavy right now and its been a great battery although i dont drive the cavy in winter, i did have a yellow top in my old cavy and it worked great in winter even when i forgot to plug the car in...

gruncle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS; 1993 allanta

I replaced the original with a Exide TrailBlazer 75-2A, side mount, 910amps, 730cc. It's not as wide, but a hair higher than stock so I didn't use the cover. Purchased at Tractor Supply. Don't remember the price, maybe around $80.

Steve

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.