Retain DIC with Double Din wiring?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Retain DIC with Double Din wiring? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I know this has been beat to death, ive spent the better part of an hour searching. If someone can ...
    LS6TT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

Retain DIC with Double Din wiring?

I know this has been beat to death, ive spent the better part of an hour searching. If someone can please post a wiring diagram to retain the DIC when installing an aftermarket double din (not car puter).

I want to keep my DIC and know how to install it, except for retaining the DIC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Retain DIC with Double Din wiring?

are you saying you want to put the DIC info on an aftermarket radio? I doubt that is possible.

Or do you mean you want to keep the oem lcd display?

Here is a guy who did something like that recently:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...wners-who.html

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I think he is wanting to install the aftermarket and retain the DIC. And yes, there have been many threads on it, but never a clear answer that i have seen. I would love to see it described and illustrated better.
    many mods \m/ \m/

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

didnt mjs0202 do a complete write up on this?

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    didnt mjs0202 do a complete write up on this?
    You are correct. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2006-cts.html

I haven't read it through, maybe it's all in there. I had seen the link on mounting, but never where the wiring was plain and simple for an amateur like me. Thanks for the help txbest1980
    many mods \m/ \m/

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

i know mjs0202 has done this whole thing and saved the DIC, i dont know how is whole write up is though...he is on and off of here these days though

I will take the time to read through the thread at home...big brother is watching.
    thanks again.
    many mods \m/ \m/

I searched through that second thread, here is a write up, hopefully this will be the final post. I think cadillacfaq.com should post the write up as well.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...30-post76.html

one caveat:

you have to be careful splicing into the brown ignition wire on the hvac harness: i have noticed some power adapters drawing power from there can get unreliable current, causing them to cycle on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    one caveat:

you have to be careful splicing into the brown ignition wire on the hvac harness: i have noticed some power adapters drawing power from there can get unreliable current, causing them to cycle on and off.
    suggest another power source?

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

You could always use the brown wire from the hvac to power a relay. While the relay allows voltage to go to the radio from a constant on source. Of course the radio will turn off when the relay turns off with the hvac.

KOT

mjs0202 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Just to update on my Pioneer install. Its been in over six months now and works perfectly. The original noise suppressor I bought died after a couple of weeks, nothing to do with the install just a faulty part. Replaced it with another $10 suppressor and no problems since then.

Quote Originally Posted by LS6TT View Post
    suggest another power source?
    I don't have one. The hvac ignition sense is the only one I am aware of that is easily accessible.

I have my parrot speakerphone kit, as well as my GPS power tapped into that wire, and they work fine. But when I tried to charge my phone off that line it would cycle on and off. Same thing with my laptop. So I had to move them to the RAP from the cigar lighter. (which is fine, I just have to remember not leave them plugged in when the car is off for extended periods of time)

My only point is that when you tap into that line, you might not get steady current. Some devices need steady current. Others don't.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

You know what, there are two other power sources.....

The power outlets..... Remember fella's the fuses for these power outlets that are under the hood can be switched. From their factory default of always on, to on with ignition. Heck, that might even be just exactly like a RAP. Where the opening of the door turns it off. Best part, is that you could control the front from separate from the rear one.

I know that ya'll would like "duh" just like I was a minute ago when I thought of those fuses.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I don't have one. The hvac ignition sense is the only one I am aware of that is easily accessible.

I have my parrot speakerphone kit, as well as my GPS power tapped into that wire, and they work fine. But when I tried to charge my phone off that line it would cycle on and off. Same thing with my laptop. So I had to move them to the RAP from the cigar lighter. (which is fine, I just have to remember not leave them plugged in when the car is off for extended periods of time)

My only point is that when you tap into that line, you might not get steady current. Some devices need steady current. Others don't.
    it wouldnt be good to assume whatever radio one was to buy wouldnt need the steady current?

so its best to seak an alternative power source?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    You know what, there are two other power sources.....

The power outlets..... Remember fella's the fuses for these power outlets that are under the hood can be switched. From their factory default of always on, to on with ignition. Heck, that might even be just exactly like a RAP. Where the opening of the door turns it off. Best part, is that you could control the front from separate from the rear one.

I know that ya'll would like "duh" just like I was a minute ago when I thought of those fuses.

KOT
    explain how I would change it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.