LED strip mod - need help!

Tags
clearly ext
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  agp 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do this mod here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1680294-post20.html

I hooked the hot to the end of a 10/red fuse, which went in a spare fuse slot in the fuse box. The ground went on the negative of battery. I turn the car on - no light. I then grounded it to a common ground nut in the fuse box. I turn the car on - no light.
I hooked the hot end to the end of the 15 fog light fuse, and the ground on negative of battery. Car on - no light. Ground on common ground, car on - no light.

Then I got a multimeter and did some testing on 2 fuse slots, one is spare, one is for fog lights, here are the results.

Spare Fuse:
Continuity - No
Power with key in without fuse - No
Power with ignition without fuse - No

Fog Fuse:
Continuity - Yes
Power with key in without fuse - No
Power with ignition without fuse - No
Fog lights without fuse - off

We know that the foglight fuse is there because of the foglights, not just to fill in random open spots, so it should have worked when I put the hot on the fuse in the fog slot and the ground on the common ground, but it didn't.

And the lights are working as they lit up when I hooked them up to a 12V DC battery. Any idea what's going on here?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey,

Got your PM. I haven't installed this yet. Been in the process of moving this last week. Moving Company Came yesterday and picked up everything.

Disclaimer - I am not experienced with Wiring.

Power Issue - If you did the DRL disable MOD you should be able to splice into the power wire and ground that is shown in the Wiring diagram. Check out the DIY MOD thread or do a search. (That's what I plan on doing)

Question - What length did you buy? I got the 9.5" and it seems a bit short going along the bottom of the Headlight.

Did you end up Clearing your fog light?

#6 ·
9.5 is too short, you should go with the next size up (which is about twice as long from what I remember). I didn't get to clear my foglights yet, it still seems like a lot of work and a lot of time I have to squeeze out. Only if it were easier :bigroll:

#5 ·
ok kool,

Got the Plexiglass on standby :D:D. First thing I am doing after I settle down is this MOD. Second Drink Beer.

What the hell did I do with the LEDs. Hmmm! must have packed it with the amp and sub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.