Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator??? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a tru cool and I 28000 gvw. this one has a special restriction built in that makes colder ...
    stimpy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Elegance 3.2 2004

Re: Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator???

I have a tru cool and I 28000 gvw. this one has a special restriction built in that makes colder oil flow through a bypass direct to the transmission.
    When the oil gets warmer then the oil will flow through the whole radiator.
    today 8 C outside temp and drove 22 km (some 80 and some 120 some 50). when i came home i measured the temp at the oil pan of the transmission.
    It measured 55 C. I don't know if this is to cold but it definitely is not too hot. Ill keep measuring until i am sure the temperatures are good.

purplecaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    My worry about oversizing the cooler is the pressure drop of the transmission fluid through the cooler, unless someone can reassure me that too low of return pressure to the transmission does not affect the transmission operation I am as worried about oversizing as I am undersizing.

stimpy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Elegance 3.2 2004

I understand your concern, i had this also but my transmission guy told me he put these in dozens of cars without problems.
    This one is a Low Pressure Drop design.
    Plus the fact that my car had the internal cooler and a factory external cooler. This also causes pressure drop, and now i only have the (larger)external cooler.
    This is the one i have installed. http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-coolers-hd

purplecaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I've seen other failures when one of the hoses delaminates or separates and blocks itself with an internal blister - higher temperature use was a contributing factor in the hose delaminating into an internal blister to cause a blockage that allowed internal hose pressure to build up. Typically oil pumps are positive displacement, meaning they will pump and increase pressure until something fails. All positive displacement pumps should have a safety relief valve and the one on the engine oil filter passage is a typical example. Is it possible that these failures are caused by a blocked hose or passage and without a relief valve in the system pumping the fluid the weakest point to fail is the corroded radiator bung? If so could a relief valve in the trans. cooling line prevent this failure?

comstar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS 3.6

Same thing just happened to me. Coming down the highway and stopped at a light. Lady pulls up next to ans says my car spewed oil or something all over here windshield. Light changes, car barely moves. Pull to shoulder and had car towed to dealer. $1048 from dealer to fix tomorrow. Ouch!

Time to go car shopping...

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

May not be too late! Depends on whether you sucked antifreeze in the trans or not. If you stopped soon enough you may be able to Put an external cooler on it and fill the trans back up with oil and be ok. Dealer is gonna want to return the car to original which will mean new radiator and trans flush. New trans would cost a lot more than that. The best thing you can do with these cars is bypass the trans cooler in the radiator and put in external cooler. You may be able to use the radiator you have if not leaking coo;ant

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

How many miles are you on, Comstar ? Did you notice any peculiar noise in the days/weeks preceeding the failure ? Inquiring minds want to know...and don't give up on the car, mister. Its one of the most common issues there is on these cars and after its fixed it'll be right back to normal.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by X Rolls-Royce View Post
    ...and don't give up on the car, mister. Its one of the most common issues there is on these cars and after its fixed it'll be right back to normal.
    +1 to that! It's been about 2 1/2 years since this happened to my Mom's CTS when I started this thread, and no problems since!
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

CADILLAC4LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CADILLAC CTS 2008 DI

Oh oh looks like this is happening to me now too
    Smelled some antifreeze a few times and have been pouring some coolant in here and there about maybe 1 every two three weeks. The DIC would say coolant level is low.
    The other day opened the hood and took a look from the top of the car by the radiator and i could see where the line was leaking. It seemed to be close to the bottom of the radiator there is a hose which seem to be the culprit.
    Now i'm not sure if it 's the hose or the rad connector i guess is what you call it?
    Like another poster mention living in toronto, canada the winters get pretty cold here...what would be my best bet to solve this problem guys?

The transmission cooler leaks transmission fluid. The coolant radiator leaks antifreeze.

What happens is the radiator fitting attaching the transmission hose fails and the hose pops off, the tranny runs out of fluid, and you're out two grand.

Sandalet found that antifreeze was leaking into the transmission cooler from the radiator and that the mixing of antifreeze and transmission fluid was fatal.

I am unclear what your problem is, but a new radiator solves the problem that I described for about $400. If you bypass the radiator with an auxiliary transmission cooler it can be avoided for $40. Corrosion-causing weather conditions seem to cause the fitting failure and radiator corrosion.

Maybe you just have a leaky hose or loose clamp ?

I appreciate the enlightenment X R-R!
    Now guess i should determine where exactly is the leak coming from.
    A few questions, if it is the rad, is there a specific name brand of radiator that i should replace it with? And $400 is that just the price of the rad? or labour as well? Anywhere in particular to purchase this rad up in toronto, canada for reasonable price?
    I wonder if replacing this rad is something i could do myself, i am mecanically enclined being a electrician by trade.
    I have read up on bypassing the rad with a auxillary cooler however being up north in canada not sure if it's right application for our cold winters? Financially though this sounds like the way to go lol
    Perhaps it is just a leaky hose or loose clamp going to have to take a closer look and perhaps i will post some pics to get some expert opinions.

----------

One more thing anything in particular i should look for in shopping for a new radiator?

sandalet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic

My car is already a week in the garage. I'm waiting for the ordered extra cooler. Overheating is more dangerous than underheating

I stick to genuine GM parts. Nothing but the best for my baby.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

My aftermarket rad came from the dealership... They buy parts from all over

how much did it cost you mike?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.