Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; If it is broken inside you might get the trans fluid in your coolant. Check the coolant reservoir to see ...
    dup's Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Re: Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator???

If it is broken inside you might get the trans fluid in your coolant. Check the coolant reservoir to see if you coolant is think with a brownish look to it.

LSCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SLK55 AMG / 04 CTS-V

That happened to my 06 at 55,000kms or (34,000 miles) I bought a replacement from ebay and its been holding perfectly for two years. The box came with some adapters because the one fitting doesn't turn.

Check out ebay ... http://cgi.ebay.ca/CADILLAC-CTS-NEW-...3286.m20.l1116

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

That's a good price for a replacement radiator! It's too late now, since she had the dealer fix it. It came to a little over $1,600 with tax and all. She still hasn't heard back from Cadillac customer service about whether they'll offset the cost.
    Meanwhile the original radiator in my STS is still holding up with 109,000 miles! Why does the CTS one crap out with 1/3rd the mileage?

AL BoTz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i had the same prob. i was driving and saw smoke come ou of the back of the car... i pulled over and all my tranny fluid was on the street. the connection on my radiator from the tranny broke off.... dont know how snapped right off. $300 for a new radiator and i put it in myself. $80 for fluids (anti freeze and tranny fluid).. think your friend got ripped off

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Cadillac has agreed to pay for the radiator, so my Mom is getting $591 back. That's quite a pricey radiator!

lesvail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I just had the exact thing happen to my 2003. I have replaced the radiator, transmission filter and refilled the ransmission. Now the shop is in the process of flushing the transmission fluid out of the cooling system. The shop says I have a 50/50 chance the transmission is shot? I pulled over and turned the car off immediately and there is no eveidence of coolant in the transmission so I think my chances are a little better than that. Has anyone else been told this about their transmission after this happened?

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

i just had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago, i replaced the rad, tranny cooler lines, did a full tranny service pan filter and flush 2x.

they said there is a chance of heat damage but its up and running now, i have been really easy on her but seems to be good.
    mine happened on the highway, i knew exactly what it was so i pulled over and shut it down.
    all in all it wasnt cheap, i swapped the rad and hooked it up , left the tranny lines for the dealer to replace.
    but im glad its back on the road....too bad its going in storage in about a month or 2 .....

jbf28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts sport

I had the same issue on my 03 cts, it happened to me twice. My hoses pulled off of the trans oil cooler, i truly believe the dealer does this because it always seems to happen after i have had some service done, the last time it happenned right after i got my timing belt and water pump replaced, makes me say hmmm?

Redcaddy83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

Ok so Friday I let my brtoher use my car 20 mins later he calls me tellin me that the car doesn't move and he saw smoke coming out. Wen I get to the scene I notice wat looks like oil all on the ground. So I look under the car and the tranmission fluid line that goes into the the raditor had come. It appears to be the the inlet line. So i'm checking to see if maybe the radiator is cracked or something but everything looked good to me. I was actually able to put the line back on and turn it I'd say about 1 thread in. Is this normal? Is this fixable? Don't really got the money to buy a new radiator nor does the car have a warranty . Also jus my brothers luck the passenger side brake hose came off. Cadillac said they will fix it being it was a recall. But back to the tranny fluid line. I asked around and someone told me there's a special tool to pop the fluid line back in place? Is this a fact? And my other friend told me to use "locktight" said it will permanently hold the line to the radiator? So if this is true wat are the chances of the radiator going? Please some help thanks guys

CadillacKid12 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 3.6L, Clear Fogs, 20" TV, Tints, Streeglow, V Bumper

search alot of my threads, i will try to find them

i had it pop off 3x on me..

my fittings just popped off, that was my problem. in the end it was a bad connection on the rad, got a new one and knock on wood shes been good for 3 months

Redcaddy83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

I've been researching and see alot of different solutions. Wen u say ur fitting did u jus put a new fitting between the rad and the tranny line?

CadillacKid12 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 3.6L, Clear Fogs, 20" TV, Tints, Streeglow, V Bumper

the fitting is part of the rad... my fluid line popped out of it with pressure. couldnt change the fitting cuz its welided to the rad, needed a new rad to get the new fitting

patsaje is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Cool Re: Trans cooler lines pulled out of radiator???

I've had the same problem. I was driving down the highway and I noticed the car Reving high and white smoke behind me. I had the car towed home and saw the problem was the connectors for the tran. cooling lines into the rad. I replaced the Rad (250$ - new local part source), and the transmission lines ( 395 -new/ dealer part) and had to have the transmission fluid re filled (100.00 - local garage).

All and all i've read its a 1300 - 1500 $$ job at a shop. Unfortunatly my car is out of warranty. I can send pictures to whom requests on how to do it yourself ( i took pictures all the way ). Its fairly simple, i did it with just a jack and a 100.00 mechanics tool kit from Canadian Tire.

Car works with no problems now !

Total spent : $750.00 ish

BUT BEWARE, most garages cannot fill the transmission fluid as the CTS has a sealed transmission (no dipstick) so check before.

chevyhighperformance is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm glad I bypassed the radiator/tranny cooler with a separate tranny cooler.
    Arnoldbenz and Arnoldbenz like this.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

yeah me too chevy...well worth it, and i have no worries now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.